PDA

View Full Version : Orangefield a potent 3A Division II team

Old Cardinal
09-06-2002, 11:31 PM
On my way over to see HF play B. Hill I stopped at Port Neches Groves at 6:00 to watch two quarters of the OF/PNG game. Orangefield gave them all they wanted! It was, OF by a score of 15-7 fairly late in the game....I left for the HF/BH game, but have heard that the Ref's basically gave the game to PNG right at the last. There were some very bad calls, while I was present. To tell you what I saw tonite was, an OF team that could have taken either BH or HF this time of year! That bunch are hitting on all cylinders early in the year. I have predicted for OF to make the playoffs this year, and after this game against an enrollment three time larger than they are, I am more than confident that this prediction will come true!

[This message has been edited by Old Cardinal (edited September 06, 2002).]

Bobkat
09-07-2002, 09:42 PM
Old Cardinal don't know about being a potent division II team, but we are a lot better than we have been. I believe we'll fight for one of the three playoff spots this season, and last nights game was a huge step for this young team. The kids left everything they had on the field last night. They simply whipped Port Neches-Groves all over the field. PN-G didn't pick up a first down till the middle of the 2nd qtr. Alex Sauseda, Orangefield's Sr tailback, had a huge night. He easily had over 300 yards total offense...rushing for over 230 yards and ran back the second half kickoff 98 yards for the TD. At one time in the game he had 200 yards on only 11 carries. I was impressed with both units last night and if we continue to get better we'll surprise some teams this year. As for PN-G in district 20-4A, it might be a long season. Now I know Old Cardinal why they're so tough to beat at the reservation. When you have to play the refs and the timekeeper, that's a tall task to ask for any team.

Final score PN-G 21
OF 15

Go Cats!!!

exbccards76'smom
09-07-2002, 10:33 PM
Congrats to the guys from Orangefield...Glad to see ya' on the rebound. Gonna be a great game for the Bayou Bowl this year

Old Cardinal
09-08-2002, 12:29 PM
The saying has been prevailent for over 20 years now that you can't bet PNG and their Ref's at the Reservation! I watched what I considered a very biased Ref. situation until I left for the HF/BH game. In a little over One Quarter (4th), they flagged Orangefield 15 times, bringing the score from 15-7 OF with 5 minutes left-to a PNG win of 21-15. What a tragedy, a bunch of adults, trying frantically to change the outcome, for the hometeam......The worst call, for me, was early in the game when the OF boy caught the ball clearly, bounced a time or two with both of his hands cupped under the ball- and he called it a trapped ball!

[This message has been edited by Old Cardinal (edited September 08, 2002).]