PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Kent wore #42 to honor...

Adidas410s
04-16-2007, 11:26 AM
Jeff Kent To Wear No. 42 To Honor Mariano Rivera
April 12, 2007 | | Onion Sports

LOS ANGELES—Though all the players on the Los Angeles Dodger roster will be wearing No. 42 on April 15 to commemorate the anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking Major League Baseball's color barrier, Dodger second-baseman Jeff Kent told reporters yesterday that he will wear the much-celebrated number to honor Yankee great and future Hall of Famer Mariano Rivera. "Mariano is easily my favorite pitcher, and I think it's wonderful that I finally have the opportunity to show how much he has meant to both me and to the game of baseball," said Kent, adding that Rivera is "the greatest player to ever don the No. 42 jersey." "Most important, he made it possible for Panamanians everywhere not to be afraid to chase their dreams." Kent added that he hoped Major League Baseball would eventually "get their act together" and retire No. 42 for good, which he feels would be the ultimate tribute to Rivera.

injuredinmelee
04-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Jackie Robinson's accomlishments were great and changed the world of sports but if i have to hear about this crap another 5 minutes I am going to scream! The media and especially ESPN have cheapened the entire weekend with their overdone constant badgering coverage.

smustangs
04-16-2007, 11:41 AM
i'm glad to see im not the only tired of hearing about it

big daddy russ
04-16-2007, 11:46 AM
That's hilarious.

pirate4state
04-16-2007, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Jeff Kent To Wear No. 42 To Honor Mariano Rivera
April 12, 2007 | | Onion Sports

LOS ANGELES—Though all the players on the Los Angeles Dodger roster will be wearing No. 42 on April 15 to commemorate the anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking Major League Baseball's color barrier, Dodger second-baseman Jeff Kent told reporters yesterday that he will wear the much-celebrated number to honor Yankee great and future Hall of Famer Mariano Rivera. "Mariano is easily my favorite pitcher, and I think it's wonderful that I finally have the opportunity to show how much he has meant to both me and to the game of baseball," said Kent, adding that Rivera is "the greatest player to ever don the No. 42 jersey." "Most important, he made it possible for Panamanians everywhere not to be afraid to chase their dreams." Kent added that he hoped Major League Baseball would eventually "get their act together" and retire No. 42 for good, which he feels would be the ultimate tribute to Rivera.

Didn't Rivera give up a 3 run HR to the A's this weekend? LOL

BTEXDAD
04-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Didn't Rivera give up a 3 run HR to the A's this weekend? LOL

You mean Rivera had to work on a day honoring him?!?
If I ever get a day honoring me, or a holiday in my honor, I guarantee i'm not working.

Keith7
04-16-2007, 01:34 PM
how classless is Kent mocking this great tribute for Jackie Robinson

JasperDog94
04-16-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by smustangs
i'm glad to see im not the only tired of hearing about it Same here. It got old. Honor his legacy? Yes. But this has been overkill.

pirate4state
04-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Same here. It got old. Honor his legacy? Yes. But this has been overkill. Leave it to ESPN :thumbsup:

JasperDog94
04-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Leave it to ESPN :thumbsup: You don't say?:o

crzyjournalist03
04-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Leave it to ESPN :thumbsup:

:mad: Don't blame ESPN! If you're not interested, don't watch!

Rabbit'93
04-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Wow. An important day in history get's recognized and it's overkill.

Kent is a jerk and classless redneck making a mockery of a much greater man than he.

pirate4state
04-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
:mad: Don't blame ESPN! If you're not interested, don't watch! I watched about 5 minutes and then changed the channel - thanks though! :)

crzyjournalist03
04-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Wow. An important day in history get's recognized and it's overkill.

Kent is a jerk and classless redneck making a mockery of a much greater man than he.

Agreed! I don't really see where the "overkill" is coming from either...

Manck
04-16-2007, 04:52 PM
I hope the people mocking Kent realize this article came from The Onion....

Gobbla2001
04-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Manck
I hope the people mocking Kent realize this article came from The Onion....

heheh

Rabbit'93
04-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Manck
I hope the people mocking Kent realize this article came from The Onion.... Got me.....:clap: :clap: