PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Tech Shootings....

AP Panther Fan
04-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Here's the link....

Virginia Tech (http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vtech.shooting/index.html)

piratebg
04-16-2007, 11:09 AM
I just saw on CNN that they have about 17 injured right now.

piratebg
04-16-2007, 11:23 AM
MSNBC is reporting at least 20 dead and 28 wounded.

AP Panther Fan
04-16-2007, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
MSNBC is reporting at least 20 dead and 28 wounded.

Now CNN said that they are trying to confirm 20 dead.

piratebg
04-16-2007, 11:27 AM
They are also saying there is only one gunman, a 20-something Asian male.

Ray_BearKat
04-16-2007, 11:29 AM
asian male:eek:

AP Panther Fan
04-16-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
They are also saying there is only one gunman, a 20-something Asian male.

The MSNBC header now states 22 dead with one of them being the gunman.

I am a bit confused, was there one or two gunmen...the CNN article made it sound like 2 with one in custody.:thinking:

piratebg
04-16-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Ray_BearKat
asian male:eek:

I got this from MSNBC who said to got this from a victim.who was wounded when the suspect entered his classroom and opened fire.

smustangs
04-16-2007, 11:31 AM
wow truly sad my prayers go out to everyone involved apparently it was in 2 different places on campus very sad

piratebg
04-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
The MSNBC header now states 22 dead with one of them being the gunman.

I am a bit confused, was there one or two gunmen...the CNN article made it sound like 2 with one in custody.:thinking:

Fox and CNN are now saying one, but the shootings were a little wide spread so they think there may be two. Who knows?

Angeleyes
04-16-2007, 11:49 AM
this is really awful. What is this world coming to? Sometimes I hate watching the news cuz it seems like all that you hear anymore are all the horrible things going on. My prayers are with all those involved.

smustangs
04-16-2007, 11:51 AM
they just said that the gunman lined ppl up in the engineering building and shot some of them execution style. thats horrible if true they said he was looking for his girlfriend, but no details about her or if he found her. its not a sad thing that he is dead but it is because we will never know truly what was motivation for this rampage

Phil C
04-16-2007, 11:53 AM
Terrible news. :(

piratebg
04-16-2007, 12:13 PM
The guy was armed with 2 9mm pistols with unknown amount of ammunition. They are saying that he killed himself and was not taken down by police.

AP Panther Fan
04-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Here is the letter from the University President on the school website. I would have put a link, but it was slow loading.

Shooting at Virginia Tech / Statement by President Charles W. Steger

By Larry Hincker

BLACKSBURG, Va., April 16, 2007

The university was struck today with a tragedy of monumental proportions. There were two shootings on campus. In each case, there were fatalities. The university is shocked and horrified that this would befall our campus. I want to extend my deepest, sincerest and most profound sympathies to the families of these victims which include students There are 22 confirmed deaths.

We currently are in the process of notifying families of victims. The Virginia Tech Police are being assisted by numerous other jurisdictions. Crime scenes are being investigated by the FBI, University Police, and State Police. We continue to work to identify the victims impacted by this tragedy. I cannot begin to covey my own personal sense of loss over this senselessness of such an incomprehensible and heinous act The university will immediately set up counseling centers. So far centers have been identified in Ambler Johnson and the Cook Counseling Center to work with our campus community and families.

Here are some of the facts we know:

At about 7:15 a.m. this morning a 911 call came to the University Police Department concerning an event in West Amber Johnston Hall. There were multiple shooting victims. While in the process of investigating, about two hours later the university received reports of a shooting in Norris Hall. The police immediately responded. Victims have been transported to various hospitals in the immediate area in the region to receive emergency treatment.

We will proceed to contact the families of victims as identities are available.

All classes are cancelled and the university is closed for the remainder for the today. The university will open tomorrow at 8 a.m. but classes will be cancelled on Tuesday. The police are currently staging the release of people from campus buildings.

Families wishing to reunite with the students are suggested to meet at the Inn at Virginia Tech. We are making plans for a convocation tomorrow (Tuesday) at noon at Cassell Coliseum for the university community to come together to begin to deal with the tragedy.

-----------------

Counseling is available in the Bowman Room in the Merriman Center (part of the athletic complex) for employees who seek assistance following today's events.

Faculty and staff on the Burruss side of the Drillfield are being released and asked to go home effective immediately. Faculty and staff on the War Memorial side are asked to leave at 12:30 p.m.

-----------------

Virginia Tech has closed today Monday, April 16, 2007. On Tuesday, April 17, classes will be canceled. The university will remain open for administrative operations.

There will be an additional university statement presented today at noon.

All students, faculty, and staff are required to stay where they are until police execute a planned evacuation. A phased closing will be in effect today; further information will be forthcoming as soon as police secure the campus.

Tomorrow, there will be a university convocation/ceremony at noon at Cassell Coliseum. The Inn at Virginia Tech has been designated as the site for parents to gather and obtain information.

-----------------

In addition to an earlier shooting today in West Ambler Johnston, there has been a multiple shooting with multiple victims in Norris Hall.

Police and EMS are on the scene.

Police have one shooter in custody and as part of routine police procedure, they continue to search for a second shooter.

All people in university buildings are required to stay inside until further notice.

All entrances to campus are closed.

big daddy russ
04-16-2007, 12:36 PM
ESPN just bumped the total deaths up to 25. I'm keeping everyone in my prayers.

piratebg
04-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
ESPN just bumped the total deaths up to 25. I'm keeping everyone in my prayers.

ABC is saying the same thing now. :(

piratebg
04-16-2007, 12:40 PM
ABC is now saying 29 dead and 28 being treated for injuries, 4 of which are in critical care.

Bulldog_12
04-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Fox has 32 dead now:(

big daddy russ
04-16-2007, 12:46 PM
This is just getting worse by the minute. :(

Keith7
04-16-2007, 12:47 PM
do they know why this guy did the shooting yet?

piratebg
04-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
do they know why this guy did the shooting yet?

I've heard he was looking for his girlfriend and/or had a beef with a professor. I don't know why someone would shoot about 60 people.

LH Panther Mom
04-16-2007, 12:50 PM
What a senseless tragedy! :( My prayers are extended to the University and friends/families of these young people.

Adidas410s
04-16-2007, 12:52 PM
This just keeps getting worse the more I hear...a sad state of affairs for all involved. :(

smustangs
04-16-2007, 12:57 PM
this is a very sad day and just keeps getting worse its just amazing that he could do this with pistols they couldnt possible hold more than 12 rounds and he has to reload at some point, i find it a little hard to believe that he didnt have some form of semi or fully automatic weapon. but my prayers continue to go out to all involved

Darren
04-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Wow unbelivable....

Why. I just heard 32 confirmed dead and 21 injured. On fox radio.

My prayers are with them and their families.

htowntransplant
04-16-2007, 01:15 PM
i know i havent been around much this offseason, as i typically am not active during any offseason, but this is just something that blew my mind. 32....mmm wow thats just sad. :(

im definitely in a state of shock right now. well my heart and prayers go out to the victims, their friends, and their families. :(

Darren
04-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by htowntransplant
i know i havent been around much this offseason, as i typically am not active during any offseason, but this is just something that blew my mind. 1 killed in the dorm, meaning 20 killed in a classroom?

im definitely in a state of shock right now. well my heart and prayers go out to the victims, their friends, and their families. :(

I guess that means 31 killed in the classroom. He must have had an assault rifle or some sort of illegal weapon.

How can something like this happen.......

htowntransplant
04-16-2007, 01:20 PM
just despicable. :mad: what a coward.

eagles_victory
04-16-2007, 01:21 PM
there saying he chained the doors so people couldnt get out what a sick person :(

smustangs
04-16-2007, 01:23 PM
chaining the doors shut show premeditation and a thought out plan. that is horrible and disgusting that person is capable of that

Bulldog_12
04-16-2007, 01:24 PM
I have little hope for this world seeing as people can't even go to class without having to be nervous or thinking in the back of their minds about situations like this.

mistanice
04-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
there saying he chained the doors so people couldnt get out what a sick person :(

what's scary is that other "sick" people will try to committ the same type of acts after seeing this happen. I've read there is a high probabily that acts such as this occur within a short period of time of each other, scary indeed.

htowntransplant
04-16-2007, 01:26 PM
i have things to say, but they wouldnt conform to standards laid out by the mods here for a family environment. i just hope that whoever that loser is, that in his afterlife, proper justice be done. i wont say what i think should be done, but i hope that justice be done in the afterlife.

Keith7
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
I have little hope for this world seeing as people can't even go to class without having to be nervous or thinking in the back of their minds about situations like this.

ya cuz something like this has never happened before

Click here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman)

smustangs
i am watching fox news and i just love how this lady is trying to make a story blaming virgina tech for some of this that the students were notified and trying to place a blame instead of reporting facts and not pointing fingers at a time like this :rolleyes:

Bulldog_12
04-16-2007, 01:27 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman

Did I say that? No. All I said was events like this.

eagles_victory
i know at my old high school and many other high schools a lot of steps have been taken for security... but at college there arent that many security measures if someone wanted to do this at sfa they would be able to easily do it.. that is kinda scary as a college student

Keith7
Originally posted by smustangs
i am watching fox news and i just love how this lady is trying to make a story blaming virgina tech for some of this that the students were notified and trying to place a blame instead of reporting facts and not pointing fingers at a time like this :rolleyes:

the problem is you are watching fox news

smustangs
04-16-2007, 01:29 PM
the problem is you are watching fox news

this is true it was just the first news station i came to on my tv

mistanice
04-16-2007, 01:29 PM
i know at my old high school and many other high schools a lot of steps have been taken for security... but at college there arent that many security measures if someone wanted to do this at sfa they would be able to easily do it.. that is kinda scary as a college student

didn't you already have one guy caught blowing up a statue on campus?

eagles_victory
04-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
didn't you already have one guy caught blowing up a statue on campus? yea i think so

mistanice
04-16-2007, 01:35 PM
yea i think so

here's an excerpt i took from the news article of a recent former student at SFA

Once inside the apartment's living room, three NPD officers and several ATFE agents found PVC pipe, gun powder, cannon fuses and shrapnel material — glass and nails — according to police reports. Timmons gave officers a key to unlock Paul's closet, which he had secured with a padlock. In it they found a drug-production operation consisting of a high-powered light, 13 marijuana plants and 19 psilocybin mushrooms. Agents also found a completed pipe bomb.

Later that afternoon, officers arrested Timmons at an SFA residence hall and charged him with four felonies.

story link (http://www.lufkindailynews.com/search/content/region/ETtoday/stories/2007/03/25/miles.html)

eagles_victory
04-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Reports are that rumors are going around that a boyfriend and girlfriend got in a fight and an RA came out to mediate the RA was shot then the girlfriend was shot then the guy went to class and started lining people up and shooting them

JasperDog94
04-16-2007, 01:47 PM

Click here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman) Where did this come from Keith? Bulldog never said this was the first time.:confused:

JasperDog94
04-16-2007, 01:49 PM
the problem is you are watching fox news What does Fox News have to do with anything?

I swear Keith that you just go looking for controversy sometimes.

CHS_CG
04-16-2007, 01:51 PM
the report that he started lining people up and shooting them is false.. there were people jumping outta 2 story windows to get away.. think about it.. if he woulda been lining 30 people up after chaining the door.. SOMEBODY woulda jumped his butt!

Txbroadcaster
04-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by smustangs

The reason is because their was a shooting TWO HOURS before and they did not lock down the campus or cancel classes

g$$
04-16-2007, 03:14 PM
32 confirmed dead

Gunman is dead too

Worst shooting in US history

Tragic situation & all my prayers go out to the families, friends, & Va Tech University.

AP Panther Fan
04-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Wosrt shooting in US history

Until Monday, the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history was in Killeen, Texas, in 1991, when George Hennard drove his pickup into a Luby’s Cafeteria and shot 23 people to death, then himself.

I had forgotten about this...:(

pirate4state
04-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Until Monday, the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history was in Killeen, Texas, in 1991, when George Hennard drove his pickup into a Luby’s Cafeteria and shot 23 people to death, then himself.

me too....i've been so busy at work today that i haven't even been able to really stop and find out what the heck happened at VT. Sad situation. Just terrible. :( What is wrong with people? :mad:

eagles_victory
04-16-2007, 04:18 PM

I had forgotten about this...:( did they ever find out what the motive was for that? Because that seems kind of odd

g$$
04-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Correction:

now 33 confirmed dead & maybe more to come...

Phil C
04-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Very sad. And now who will be the first to come out with a made for tv movie about this. :(

yourboss319
04-16-2007, 04:51 PM
got damn check it out..

http://www.break.com/index/virginia_tech_school_shooting.html

a little graphic i might add..

wedo
04-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Damn I counted 26 shots!!

AP Panther Fan
04-16-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by yourboss319
got damn check it out..

http://www.break.com/index/virginia_tech_school_shooting.html

a little graphic i might add..

I watched this video that a student made on CNN today...this one seems to be "doctored" from the one I saw. I mean it is the same person taking it from the same angle and you hear the shots, but you don't hear the footsteps like he is running toward the building and being shot at. It was more like he was in the same place and just zooming in with his camera...you do hear him say "woah" at the end of it though when the camera points down at the sidewalk.

I could be wrong, but was paying fairly close attention earlier.

Horrible, horrible stuff. :(

Matthew328
04-16-2007, 06:14 PM
I'm sorry but there will be an investigation and why were classes continued to be held after 2 people were killed that morning??? Its tough to lock down a sprawling campus like that but geez...

sinton66
04-16-2007, 06:27 PM
I think the campus police acted properly. The reports are saying they believed this to be a domestic case. Witnesses had told them the shooter had left the dorm. They did lock down the dorm and began processing it as a crime scene. Even if the chief had called the admin and asked to shut down the campus, it's doubtful they would have based on the info on hand at the time.

If the admin had locked down the campus, chances are the shooter was already in the other building, would have been locked in with the students, and the outcome wouldn't have been much different. If they had made a warning announcement, wouldn't they be notifying the gunman too? Might it have been worse? No way to know for sure.

The anti-gun nuts are going to have a field day with this one. They should stop and think, if just ONE of those 32 had been armed and trained to use it, the outcome could have been quite different.

JR2004
04-16-2007, 06:58 PM

A resident from my hometown, Suzanne Gratia Hupp, entered politics as a result of the massacre at Luby's. Out of a completely horrible situation, in which she was a survivor (her parents were not as fortunate), some good came of it as I feel she was a pretty darn good public servant for a decade.

I don't know what good will come of this extremely sad and tragic day, but I hope that something good will come out of this purely evil and senseless act. I'll definitely be praying for all these families that have been forever changed by this cowardly madman.

Matthew328
04-16-2007, 06:58 PM
What's odd is that the shooter didn't go right to Norris....I know a girl who went to school there and said that its a 15 minute walk from WAJ to Norris...and thats walking slow....my guess is the shooter went somewhere else hung out or got his plan together and the started shooting he didn't hang out at Norris for 2 hours before shooting again...

The real question is what did the shooter do in those 2 hours?? I still think they should have locked the campus down after the first shooting but hindsight is always 20/20

Emerson1
04-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
A resident from my hometown, Suzanne Gratia Hupp, entered politics as a result of the massacre at Luby's. Out of a completely horrible situation, in which she was a survivor (her parents were not as fortunate), some good came of it as I feel she was a pretty darn good public servant for a decade.

They showed an interview with her on the news earlier. She said she had a gun in her car, but left it in there to obey the concealed handgun law.

sinton66
04-16-2007, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
What's odd is that the shooter didn't go right to Norris....I know a girl who went to school there and said that its a 15 minute walk from WAJ to Norris...and thats walking slow....my guess is the shooter went somewhere else hung out or got his plan together and the started shooting he didn't hang out at Norris for 2 hours before shooting again...

The real question is what did the shooter do in those 2 hours?? I still think they should have locked the campus down after the first shooting but hindsight is always 20/20

The news I watched said it was a five minute walk. Who knows what he did in those two hours? He may have confined himself in a restroom or something. In reality, they don't even know if it was the same person. Nobody knows, and they may never know. It's normal to think that they should have shut it down, but it would be the equivalent of locking down a city of 25,000. Pretty darn tough to do in the first place. From what I'm hearing, the classrooms in the engineering building didn't even have locks. One group said they barricaded themselves in using tables against the glass door.

Matthew328
04-16-2007, 07:51 PM
weird.....could there be 2 gunmen???

sinton66
04-16-2007, 07:53 PM
What are the odds of it being 2 different people? Pretty remote I guess. Dunno, but I'm sure stranger things have happened somewhere.

shankbear
04-16-2007, 07:55 PM
Has anybody raved about gun control yet? I didn't read the whole thread. Would any more gun laws have stopped this guy? How about enforcing existing laws.

sinton66
04-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
Has anybody raved about gun control yet? I didn't read the whole thread. Would any more gun laws have stopped this guy? How about enforcing existing laws.

I can almost guarantee you the anti-gun nuts will be coming out of the woodwork soon enough.

mistanice
04-16-2007, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
I can almost guarantee you the anti-gun nuts will be coming out of the woodwork soon enough.

will they be from Texas?

shankbear
04-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Austin maybe

LH Panther Mom
04-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Has anybody raved about gun control yet? I didn't read the whole thread. Would any more gun laws have stopped this guy? How about enforcing existing laws. Guns don't kill people.... ;)

Enforcing existing laws is never a bad thing. Who knows - maybe he had the guns legally. I just can't imagine what would make someone go to these lengths. :(

sinton66
04-16-2007, 08:14 PM
will they be from Texas?

Mostly from Californicate and New Yawk. Just watch.

mistanice
04-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Why do we have evil? does it have a place on earth? without evil would there be good? I don't think a perfect world would work, we wouldn't know right from wrong...? I don't understand, i confuse myself sometimes :confused:

sinton66
04-16-2007, 08:54 PM
If in fact it was just one gunman, there are a couple of things that shouldn't be ignored. 1) He had two guns with multiple clips, he obviously didn't go there to shoot just two people. 2) He didn't figure on surviving this episode(since he took himself out).

It will probably turn out that he was taking anti-depressant medicine. That stuff is increasingly being implicated in violent crimes.

It would be possible that after the first shootings, he probably found a high vantage point to determine if the police were searching the campus for him. If they had been, he probably would have engaged them in a fierce fire fight and they would have eventually killed him(so he wouldn't have to do it himself). Since they weren't, he most likely decided to "expand" his spree before taking himself out. That could easily account for the two hour period.

Pudlugger
04-16-2007, 09:17 PM
The shooter was a 20 year old Chinese national here on an F1 visa. It is illegal for foreigners to buy handguns. AP and
Reuters plus The Independent in the UK are running multiple stories on the need for toughter gun control, the anti-gun crowd took about a millisecond to pounce on this and run with it. V Tech has a no gun policy and is a gun free zone. If only one student or prof had a concealed carry this perp would have been stopped before killing 33 unarmed defenseless students.

The University lobbied against a proposed law making it legal for CCP holders to carry on campus and the bill was killed in the state legislature 3 months ago. The University President wrote a statement praising the lawmakers for killing this bill. I wonder if he has second thoughts now. I pray for these victims and their families and friends who are suffering so much for this senseless act of violence.

Fal44
04-16-2007, 09:21 PM
this is truely sad... I feel sorry for everyone who lost a loved one, let them be in our prayers....

Leopards,class of 75
04-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Fal44
this is truely sad... I feel sorry for everyone who lost a loved one, let them be in our prayers.... Amen!

sinton66
04-16-2007, 10:33 PM
The authorities are now saying to not put much faith in the Chinese national rumor according to Fox.

Correction: Not the one the media tried to feed the authorities. (The one they discovered on "myspace")

DU_stud04
04-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Austin maybe stupid hippies :p

CHS_CG
04-17-2007, 07:50 AM
The gunman who opened fire in Virginia Tech's Norris Hall, killing 30 people before turning the gun on himself, was "an Asian male who was a resident in one of our dormitories," university President Charles Steger said Tuesday.

Steger didn't provide further details and he said he was still uncertain whether the student gunman at Norris was the same one who fatally shot two people in a dorm two hours earlier.

He added, however, that he didn't think a second gunman was on the loose.

University police Chief Wendell Flinchum said Monday night police have a preliminary identification of one gunman, but they are not ready to release it. (Watch how some are asking why warnings weren't issued sooner )

As the campus, and the nation, reel in the wake of the deadliest shooting in U.S. history, questions are many but answers are few.

Did the same gunman kill two people in a dormitory and then two hours later chain the doors of an academic building and begin to kill as many as he could?

Should campus officials have canceled classes after the first shooting, at the dorm? Authorities say they believed the dorm shooting was an "isolated incident" and were still investigating it when the slaughter occurred at the other campus building, Norris Hall. (Officials thought shooter had fled)

The gunman killed 30 people and wounded 15 in Norris Hall classrooms.

Steger told reporters Monday night that officers found the front doors of Norris Hall chained shut and that by the time they got to the second floor, the gunfire stopped.

A law enforcement source close to the investigation said a .22-caliber handgun and a 9 mm handgun were recovered at the scene. (Watch how quickly these guns can be fired, reloaded )

Surviving by playing dead
The gunman was dressed "almost like a Boy Scout," said a student who survived by pretending to lie dead on a Norris Hall classroom floor.

"He just stepped within five feet of the door and just started firing," said Erin Sheehan.

She described the gunman as a young man wearing a short-sleeved tan shirt and black ammunition vest.

"He seemed very thorough about it -- getting almost everyone down -- I pretended to be dead," she said. (Watch student describe surviving by playing dead )

"He was very silent," said Sheehan, one of only four students in her 25-student German class who were not shot.

The gunman left but returned in about 30 seconds. "I guess he heard us still talking," said Sheehan.

"We forced ourselves against the door so he couldn't come in again, because the door would not lock."

The man tried three more times to force his way in and then began firing through the door, she said.

Student Tiffany Otey was taking a test inside Norris Hall when the shooting began. She and about 20 other people took refuge behind a locked door in a teacher's office.

Police officers with bulletproof vests and machine guns were in the area. (Watch a student's recording of police responding to loud bangs )

"They were telling us to put our hands above our head and if we didn't cooperate and put our hands above our heads they would shoot," Otey said. "I guess they were afraid, like us -- like the shooter was going to be among one of us." (Watch students react to shooting )

Some students leaped from windows to escape, said Matt Waldron.

"These two kids, I guess, had panicked and jumped out of the top-story window, and the one kid broke his ankle and the other girl was not in good shape just lying on the ground." (Watch gunfire on the campus )

Dormitory shooting two hours earlier
The day's first shooting, at the dormitory, left two people dead. That shooting occurred about 7:15 a.m.

The dormitory, West Ambler Johnston Hall, houses 895 students and is located near the drill field and stadium. (Campus map)

At the time of the later shootings at Norris Hall, police were investigating a "person of interest" in the dormitory shootings, Flinchum said. But the man -- a non-student who knew one of the victims -- had not been arrested, and it is unclear if he has any link to the other gunman, he said.

Victims' identities being released
Courtney Dalton, an 18-year-old student who worked at West End Dining Hall, said a friend named Ryan Clark was one of the two dormitory victims.

She said Clark, a resident assistant at West Ambler Johnston Hall, had once worked at the cafeteria serving pizza.

"He was a happy person; this is really sad," she said, sobbing.

"All I can do is pray for his family now," she told CNN.com. (Watch the police chief explain where bodies were found )

As of early Tuesday, the identities of three other victims had been released:

G.V. Loganathan, a professor of civil and environmental engineering

Liviu Librescu, a professor of engineering science and mechanics

Ross Alameddine, a student from Saugus, Massachusetts.

Convocation on campus Tuesday
The university, which has more than 26,000 students, has scheduled a convocation for 2 p.m. ET Tuesday. Classes also have been canceled Tuesday. In Washington, the House and Senate observed moments of silence for the victims and President Bush said the nation was "shocked and saddened" by news of the tragedy.

Last August, the first day of class was cut short at Virginia Tech by a manhunt for an escaped prisoner accused of killing a Blacksburg hospital security guard and a sheriff's deputy.

Before Monday, the deadliest mass shooting in the United States occurred in 1991, when George Hennard drove a pickup truck into a Killeen, Texas, cafeteria and fatally shot 23 people, before shooting and killing himself.

99IHSMustang
04-17-2007, 08:18 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to the students and families of this tragic and horrible incident. As a recent college student I cannot even begin to imagine how quickly this all happened. This morning on the Kid Kradic radio show a student reported hearing "banging", but he thought it was from the construction that had been on going near Norris Hall. It wasn't until minutes later that he saw a SWAT team in full armor go by the building where he was busy being counseled that he knew that there was something seriously wrong.

piratebg
04-17-2007, 08:30 AM
The gunman was 23yo Cho Seung-Hui. He was and undergraduate english major at the university from South Korea.

piratebg
04-17-2007, 08:33 AM
They also said that classes have now been cancelled until the end of the week and Norris Hall will be closed for the rest of the semester. Ballistics have matched one of the guns to both shootings and the evidence is showing no signs of a second accomplice so far. Lots of info is starting to see the light of day.

piratebg
04-17-2007, 08:42 AM
They are stating the that handguns recovered were a 9mm and a .22

Emerson1
04-17-2007, 10:29 AM
He bought them back in march I heard. He left a note to.

mistanice
04-17-2007, 10:39 AM
what's scary is that other "sick" people will try to committ the same type of acts after seeing this happen. I've read there is a high probabily that acts such as this occur within a short period of time of each other, scary indeed.

St. Edwards University is on lockdown after bomb threat found in restroom.

Phil C
04-17-2007, 10:49 AM

66 What happened was a big tragedy but we have a constitutional right to bear guns and I guarantee this that if

GUNS ARE OUTLAWED ONLY OUTLAWS WILL HAVE GUNS!

turbostud
04-17-2007, 11:25 PM

As you predicted (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070418/ap_on_re_eu/virginia_tech_world_view)

CHS_CG
04-18-2007, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
As you predicted (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070418/ap_on_re_eu/virginia_tech_world_view)

Like the shirt I saw...

If guns kill people then pencils misspell words and spoons made Rosie fat! Guns do not kill people people that have issues (probably in more than one way) kill people. What are they gunna do outlaw everything we could hunt with.. geez! A bow coulda done the same thing.. doubtful he woulda got 32 people with a bow and arrows but still.. those people just needa go on back into their lil holes and stop b!tchin about stuff! I do agree.. this guy shouldnt have been able to buy a gun thats where we need stricker laws but the whole "guns outlawed will bring world peace" is BS!

cdlvj
04-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
[B]The shooter was a 20 year old Chinese national here on an F1 visa. It is illegal for foreigners to buy handguns.

Pud, This used to be the case, but it looks like that has been changed, and individuals with green cards may purchase handguns.

I thought the same as you.