PDA

View Full Version : Great pick up for Aggie track!( 'It wasn't you. It was Austin.')

Funk-d-fied
04-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Euclid senior track and field star Jessica Beard has gotten used to - and probably a little tired of - the question being asked over and over again everywhere she goes.
"So Jessica, where are you going to run in college?"
Beard now has the answer.
One of the most anticipated college decisions in area track and field history has finally been made, as Beard committed this week to continuing her track and field career collegiately at Texas A&M.
The three-time Division I 400-meter state champion and world-class sprinter in her age group chose the Aggies and Coach Pat Henry over Big 12 rival Texas and LSU of the Southeastern Conference.
"There was a lot (of deciding factors), but mainly the one was they had both a team thing, but also have coaching experience," Beard said. "But the one that really determined it was the environment I was most comfortable at. And I told the coach from Texas, 'It wasn't you. It was Austin.' And I told the coach from LSU, 'It wasn't you. It was how I felt around Louisiana and Baton Rouge and everything.' Pretty much, it came down to the environment that made the biggest decision for me.
"I'm pretty happy with my decision. I know they have a great team. There's other runners there, and there's some coming in with me. I think that's really good."
Another big selling point for Beard was Henry, who has an unparalleled résumé among college coaches.
Henry came to the Aggies in 2004 after building a dynasty at LSU. Under his tutelage, the Tigers' men's and women's teams won a combined 27 national team championships during his 17 years in Baton Rouge.
LSU produced 37 Olympians, including three Olympic gold medalists, who competed for Henry.
Beard, whose career track appears to be well on its way toward representing the United States at the Olympic level in the 400, was impressed with what Henry brought to the table.
"He was the one at LSU when they one all of those consecutive championships," Beard said. "He's been at A&M now for two years, and he wanted to build something else and build a different dynasty. He supposes he can do it at A&M, and I think he is (building toward that goal)."
Since bursting on the scene as a freshman in 2004 and winning the state championship in the 400, Beard has put together a career that still has chapters left to be written.
Her name is all over The News-Herald's area records for track and field. Individually, she holds the standards for the 100 (11.6 seconds), 200 (23.93) and 400 (52.82), and she has been on the Panthers' record-setting 4x200 (1:41.32), 4x400 (3:50.1) and 4x800 (9:06.45) relays.
She has taken that quality and shown it on the national and international stages, too.
Over the summer, Beard took fifth in the world in the 400 at the IAAF World Junior Championships in Beijing, running a 52.51.
And now, that career officially has taken another step forward, with an answer to that certain question which won't follow her any longer.
"I'm happy," Beard said. "It's a big relief off my shoulders, because that's one thing I got every week was one phone call from three different coaches.
"They were always comparing each other - we have this and we have that. And now, there's only one coach I really have to listen to. So that's a good thing."

Phil C
04-16-2007, 10:29 AM
While at A&M Coach Bryant tried to recruit QB Don Meredeth but Don decided to go to SMU even though he wanted to play under Coach Bryant. He said "Coach, if you any other place in the world but A&M - any other place in the world."

:)

Phil C
04-16-2007, 10:32 AM
Coach Abe Martin of TCU also tried to recruit Don. He said to Don "Don't go to SMU where you will have to wear ties and coats and dress up. Come to TCU where you can wear blue jeans and a t-shirts."

Don replied "I have worn blue jeans and t-shirs all my life. That is what I am going to college to get away from."

Phil C
04-16-2007, 10:38 AM
UT did lose great RB Adrian Peterson who choose Oklahoma even though he was a Longhorn fan all of his life. He went to Okahoma because he said the trainers there were great and he wanted to play on a national championship team. He did get to play on two Big 12 championship teams but he didn't get to win an NC. He also got on an Oklahoma team that did beat Texas one of the three years he was there. Ironically Texas won the NC his second year at Oklahoma. Poetic justice. :)

g$$
04-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
While at A&M Coach Bryant tried to recruit QB Don Meredeth but Don decided to go to SMU even though he wanted to play under Coach Bryant. He said "Coach, if you any other place in the world but A&M - any other place in the world."

And Dandy Don went to neither A&M nor Texas too! A&M was a different place in the '60s Phil, totally different place as it was all male & all military. Much more diverse student body & degree options now.

Meredith went to SMU right?

Roger Staubach sent his daughter to A&M. George Strait's son just finished too. Students from every country in the world & every state in the union. Lots has changed Phil since the '60s!

Phil C
04-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Don was recruited by Texas but UT hadn't done well so he wanted to go to a winner at SMU. He didn't know that the next year UT was to get a new coach - a fellow by the name of Darrell Royal.

Phil C
04-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by g$$
And Dandy Don went to neither A&M nor Texas too! A&M was a different place in the '60s Phil, totally different place as it was all male & all military. Much more diverse student body & degree options now.

Meredith went to SMU right?

Roger Staubach sent his daughter to A&M. George Strait's son just finished too. Students from every country in the world & every state in the union. Lots has changed Phil since the '60s!

I can't blame Roger for sending his daughter to A&M especially after what UT did to him in that Cotton Bowl.

g$$
04-16-2007, 04:23 PM
I can't blame Roger for sending his daughter to A&M especially after what UT did to him in that Cotton Bowl.

Actually, he said in an interview he did not like what UT stood for & wanted to send his daughter to a more conservative, family-oriented school. Blame Roger not me, but he does not like UT one bit as a school.

Both are fine schools, & both are very different from each other too. We like it that way!

Phil C
04-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Actually, he said in an interview he did not like what UT stood for & wanted to send his daughter to a more conservative, family-oriented school. Blame Roger not me, but he does not like UT one bit as a school.

Both are fine schools, & both are very different from each other too. We like it that way!

I think Roger getting whipped in that Cotton Bowl has a lot why he doesn't like UT. :)

g$$
04-16-2007, 04:27 PM
UT did lose great RB Adrian Peterson who choose Oklahoma even though he was a Longhorn fan all of his life. He went to Okahoma because he said the trainers there were great and he wanted to play on a national championship team. He did get to play on two Big 12 championship teams but he didn't get to win an NC. He also got on an Oklahoma team that did beat Texas one of the three years he was there. Ironically Texas won the NC his second year at Oklahoma. Poetic justice. :)

You Horns will never get over the fact Peterson went elsewhere. He played in a NC game & had a great career. Those things do happen outside of Austin, TX too. Move on...

Phil C
04-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by g$$
You Horns will never get over the fact Peterson went elsewhere. He played in a NC game & had a great career. Those things do happen outside of Austin, TX too. Move on...

But UT won an NC! :)

g$$
04-16-2007, 04:37 PM
But UT won an NC! :)

Yes, with a guy named Vince Young. Let's move on to the present tense Phil...!! Saw Colt McCoy at the UT baseball game last Friday (a few rows over). He is definitely bigger & thicker. Seems like a good kid too.

Phil C
04-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Well back to it wasn't you but it was Austin.

This was probably one of those few times when Austin's "laid back" culture hurt UT.