PDA

View Full Version : Jackie Robinson's number 42

GreenMonster
04-15-2007, 04:55 PM
This number was retired several years ago by MLB. It has been un-retired for one day and several players and a few entire teams have decided to wear #42 today. These players are saying they are doing this to honor a hero. I happen to feel like they are disrespecting this great man more than honoring him. His number was retired to put him on a pedestal, to make him immortal. Now only a few short years later MLB is already allowing that pedestal to be lowered. Tell us all how you feel.

Hansum Stranger
04-15-2007, 04:59 PM
People forget about things that are put on a pedestal. From time to time things need to be taken off the pedal and put on display so people can remember.

kaorder1999
04-15-2007, 05:06 PM
there are a lot of youngsters right now who have no idea who Jackie Robinson is. They have no idea that the #42 is retired or why it is. Days like today teach the younger generation who the great man was.

Phil C
04-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Hansum Stranger
People forget about things that are put on a pedestal. From time to time things need to be taken off the pedal and put on display so people can remember.

I agree Hansum. I thought it was great when UT's Ricky Williams wore No. 34 in honor of SMU's Doak Walker.

LH Panther Mom
04-15-2007, 05:12 PM
GM, what's the reason it's un-retired for the day? :confused:

kaorder1999
04-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

its Jackie Robinson Day in the Majors

Hansum Stranger
04-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

It's the 60 year anniversary

DU_stud04
04-15-2007, 05:14 PM
saw on of the basketball players who wrote jackie robinson's name on his sneakers....i thought it was pretty cool.

LH Panther Mom
04-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks, I didn't want to vote without knowing why. (I don't tend to keep up with info like this.... ;) ) I think it's a cool idea.

eagles_victory
04-15-2007, 06:11 PM
I think it is possibly being overdone and some people could possibly be doing it just to say there doing it, but i dont see in any way how this can be interpreted as disrespectful

maestro
04-15-2007, 10:23 PM
did not even know that this was an issue..

major league baseball, and as I understand it, ken griffey jr. have done a big positve on this anniversary.

Bull's-eye
04-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Just saw the interview with Dave Winfield, he stated that blacks now only make up 8% of the MLB . He said that competition from other sports and cost have contributed to the decline. He then stated that if this continues, we won't see the "5 tool" players. Isn't this a racist statement?

tigerpride_08
04-15-2007, 10:42 PM
i personally like the idea of the players wearing 42...i think thats a great way to honor Jackie...

injuredinmelee
04-15-2007, 11:06 PM
I think what Jackie Robinson did was an amazing thing but why dont we honor the owner that signed him jsut as much he risked so much also!

g$$
04-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Just saw the interview with Dave Winfield, he stated that blacks now only make up 8% of the MLB . He said that competition from other sports and cost have contributed to the decline. He then stated that if this continues, we won't see the "5 tool" players. Isn't this a racist statement?

Fewer Blacks are playing now. Part of the problem is 11.7 scholarships available to college teams (gender equity...). Very few Blacks in college baseball at all. Softball gets more scholarships than baseball due to NCAA rules.

Winfield also made some good points too. Can't deny the fact about athleticism. He was a great athlete drafted in 3 sports out of Minnesota (football, baseball, basketball).

injuredinmelee
04-15-2007, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Fewer Blacks are playing now. Part of the problem is 11.7 scholarships available to college teams (gender equity...). Very few Blacks in college baseball at all. Softball gets more scholarships than baseball due to NCAA rules.

Winfield also made some good points too. Can't deny the fact about athleticism. He was a great athlete drafted in 3 sports out of Minnesota (football, baseball, basketball).

NCAA rules because of Title IX?

g$$
04-15-2007, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
NCAA rules because of Title IX?

Yes, Title IX & gender equity. NCAA rules allow D1 teams to have 11.7 scholarships for the whole team. If you get 40%, that is very good (many just get books). It hurts the growth of the game & esp. getting lower income kids into school. Football gets 85 by comparison, basketball gets 14 I believe. Point is very few Blacks play college baseball if they don't go pro out of high school. There are more in juco than D1, as they can go pro sooner without having to wait 3 years (or 21 yrs. old). It's a messed up deal. Joe Morgan is one of those advocating long overdue changes.

Bull's-eye
04-16-2007, 12:49 AM
The decline starts all the way down to little league. Watch the Little League World Series and you will see only a small percent of black kids playing. Kids are now playing select and club baseball almost year round and this takes money that many families can't afford. Throw in all the traveling, equipment, camps, and private lessons, baseball has become very expensive. Lots of baseball players are committing themselves to just playing one sport. This may be an unpopular choice for kids who favor other sports.

g$$
04-16-2007, 02:08 PM
The decline starts all the way down to little league. Watch the Little League World Series and you will see only a small percent of black kids playing. Kids are now playing select and club baseball almost year round and this takes money that many families can't afford. Throw in all the traveling, equipment, camps, and private lessons, baseball has become very expensive. Lots of baseball players are committing themselves to just playing one sport. This may be an unpopular choice for kids who favor other sports.

You are right, it has become very expensive. Good select ball (like Houston Heat, Kyle Chapman, Angels, D-Bat, Slam, Wings, S. Texas Sliders, etc.) adds up in a hurry. There are many reasons from the hip-hop generation to rising costs to specialization to college scholarships, etc. Bottom line is the #s are going way down quickly.

pirate4state
04-16-2007, 02:54 PM
Just saw the interview with Dave Winfield, he stated that blacks now only make up 8% of the MLB . He said that competition from other sports and cost have contributed to the decline. He then stated that if this continues, we won't see the "5 tool" players. Isn't this a racist statement? What is a "5 tool" player? :confused:

DU_stud04
04-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
What is a "5 tool" player? :confused: an athlete who excels at hitting for average, hitting for power, baserunning skills and speed, throwing ability and fielding abilities..... basically your "complete performer"

g$$
04-16-2007, 03:03 PM
5 tools:

1. Hit for high average
2. Hit for power (extra base hits & HRs)
3. Speed / baserunning
4. Defense
5. Throwing arm

Most MLB players have 3 of these qualities, possibly 4. Very hard to find true 5 tool players.

pirate4state
04-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks guys. I don't understand why that would be a racist statement? :thinking:

g$$
04-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks guys. I don't understand why that would be a racist statement? :thinking:

It's a stretch, but if you name 5 tool players it is hard to come up with a White one! Names like Beltran, Guerrero, Abreu, etc. come to mind. Maybe Reyes & Wright as they continue...but Wright does not run well enough to consider that a plus in his game.

pirate4state
04-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by g$$
It's a stretch, but if you name 5 tool players it is hard to come up with a White one! Names like Beltran, Guerrero, Abreu, etc. come to mind. Maybe Reyes & Wright as they continue...but Wright does not run well enough to consider that a plus in his game. Aren't those guys Latin? I didn't know you could be racist against Latins? I thought the world was just black & white? ;) :o

Bull's-eye
04-16-2007, 04:35 PM

He was basically saying that only black players had the ability to be 5-tool players. Wouldn't this be racist against all other races?

Astros have Hunter Pence that might become this type of player. In my book, Jeff Bagwell was a 5 tool player at the peak of his career. Some may argue he didn't have the speed, but I believe he has more stolen bases than anybody with 400 or more homers.

crzyjournalist03
04-16-2007, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by g$$
It's a stretch, but if you name 5 tool players it is hard to come up with a White one! Names like Beltran, Guerrero, Abreu, etc. come to mind. Maybe Reyes & Wright as they continue...but Wright does not run well enough to consider that a plus in his game.

Michael Young and Derek Jeter come to mind!