PDA

View Full Version : Randy Rogers Band in Brazoria, TX at Armadillo Ballroom Saturday, April 21st...

g$$
04-15-2007, 04:31 AM
Evidently the dirty 'Dillo is under new mgmt. & paying better. This is a big deal for Brazoria County, so hope people come out & see a great show. RRB is the real deal, lots of fun & well worth it.

http://www.armadilloballroom.com/

By the way, best cd I have heard in a while for Texas Country genre is Stoney LaRue's "Live at Billy Bob's" in Ft. Worth. Very talented guy & also lots of fun in concert. Rough looking fella' but flat can sing & play the guitar. CD includes brand new "Oklahoma Breakdown", plus "One Chord Song" & "Feet Don't Touch the Ground" among others. Check it out.

Antec
04-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Met my wife at Armadilllo Balllroom in 1995 when Jerry Jeff Walker was playing.

Keith Whitley played his last show there iin 1988 before he died four days later

It was closed down about a year and a half years ago before it opened under new managment

Its a big place mainly a younger crowd goes there

carter08
04-15-2007, 11:05 AM
If the new management allowed minors I would be there.

Still, great for the area to have Creager one week in Angleton and RRB in Brazoria the next. Hopefully more big Texas Country acts will continue to play in the area

g$$
04-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Antec
Met my wife at Armadilllo Balllroom in 1995 when Jerry Jeff Walker was playing.

Keith Whitley played his last show there iin 1988 before he died four days later

It was closed down about a year and a half years ago before it opened under new managment

Its a big place mainly a younger crowd goes there

Good stuff buddy. New mgmt. correct too.

But actually, Keith Whitley played the 'Dillo on a Sat. night in 1988 & died late Sunday night / early Monday morning if I recall. I was getting dressed for school & heard it on the radio. I had seen his last show as it turned out 2 days earlier. Sad deal, drug & alcohol overdose.

Agreed Carter. Hope Brazoria County shows up for some good acts & quality shows. It's been a while.

CHS_CG
04-16-2007, 08:26 AM
I got to see him Saturday at Duck Jam... All of us out there are some decicated Texas Country Music fans... It was FREEZING!!! Not to mention beer was $4 for a 16oz can! We were there from start to finish... Randy put on a great show as usual! I love watching RRB when they come to town. While RRB was playing Reckless Kelly came out in a boat in the lil creek/moat they have in front of the stage and started fishin lol.

Adidas410s
04-16-2007, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
Not to mention beer was $4 for a 16oz can!

Go to a show at Smirnoff($7-10)...or Nokia($7-9)...or Pizza Hut Park ($8)... :( :( :(

g$$
04-16-2007, 01:56 PM
I got to see him Saturday at Duck Jam... All of us out there are some decicated Texas Country Music fans... It was FREEZING!!! Not to mention beer was $4 for a 16oz can! We were there from start to finish... Randy put on a great show as usual! I love watching RRB when they come to town. While RRB was playing Reckless Kelly came out in a boat in the lil creek/moat they have in front of the stage and started fishin lol.

Good story! RK is fun too. Saw Bowen last week in San Marcos & he was good as usual. Glad RRB brought it as always. BTW, $4 is a sweet deal...enjoy college! Admire the dedication too, we almost went but ran out of time. Thanks for the updates.

CHS_CG
04-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Good story! RK is fun too. Saw Bowen last week in San Marcos & he was good as usual. Glad RRB brought it as always. BTW, $4 is a sweet deal...enjoy college! Admire the dedication too, we almost went but ran out of time. Thanks for the updates.

I have seen RRB more than i have seent he rest of the other bands put together lol.. how sad is that.

g$$
04-16-2007, 02:15 PM
I have seen RRB more than i have seent he rest of the other bands put together lol.. how sad is that.

Give me a review of the bands...esp. Micky & the Motorcars please. They are 2 more of the Braun brothers (2 in Reckless Kelly too). I like the little I've heard from them.

RRB, Bowen, Boland, RK, Micky, etc. Thanks!

CHS_CG
04-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Give me a review of the bands...esp. Micky & the Motorcars please. They are 2 more of the Braun brothers (2 in Reckless Kelly too). I like the little I've heard from them.

RRB, Bowen, Boland, RK, Micky, etc. Thanks!

Lost Cause- Wasnt bad for a band starting out.. didnt know any songs but still didnt have to be drunk to listen to it.

Richie O'toole(is a tool)- Cant stand him myself.. he trys to hard to be something (randy rogers or another big band) that hes not Somebody who likes him may have something better to say about him.

Mickey and the Motorcars- was the 3rd time I have saw them and I like them alot. They have a sound really close to Reckless Kelly which is probably one appeal to me. Of course they played "Careless" which I LOVE that song lol.

Wade Bowen- 2nd time I have saw him.. first time I really listened to him. Liked his sound, liked his songs. Didnt completely jump out at me but I like him.

Jason Boland and the Stragglers- Pretty good show also, The guy sings really funny though if u look at his face while he sings. He sings through his teeth which probably had my attention more than his music.. I believe I like listening to him more on the radio or CD than I do live... but it was pretty good.

RECKLESS KELLY- Last year came on stage in a boat and didnt this year but they had a kick @$$ concert. They didnt play "stick around" which is one of my favorite songs by them but they played "Crazy Eddies Last Hurrah" otherwise know as "GOOD BY _____ER IM GONE! LOL. Didnt feel like they played as long as some other people but it was gettin late and colder. Def. Cant wait to see them again.

RANDY ROGERS BAND- Awesome as always! RRB=LOVE!!! lol. They played a lot of newer stuff and not as much old stuff. Kinda missed some of the older stuff.. they didnt play come pick me up which sucked but he made up for it when he did an encoure and sung "Empty Glass" by Gary Stwert which was A-MAZING.

All and all it was a great night of Texas Country music. Next year I am hoping its not so damn cold and windy.

g$$
04-16-2007, 02:41 PM
Lost Cause- Wasnt bad for a band starting out.. didnt know any songs but still didnt have to be drunk to listen to it.

Richie O'toole(is a tool)- Cant stand him myself.. he trys to hard to be something (randy rogers or another big band) that hes not Somebody who likes him may have something better to say about him.

Mickey and the Motorcars- was the 3rd time I have saw them and I like them alot. They have a sound really close to Reckless Kelly which is probably one appeal to me. Of course they played "Careless" which I LOVE that song lol.

Wade Bowen- 2nd time I have saw him.. first time I really listened to him. Liked his sound, liked his songs. Didnt completely jump out at me but I like him.

Jason Boland and the Stragglers- Pretty good show also, The guy sings really funny though if u look at his face while he sings. He sings through his teeth which probably had my attention more than his music.. I believe I like listening to him more on the radio or CD than I do live... but it was pretty good.

RECKLESS KELLY- Last year came on stage in a boat and didnt this year but they had a kick @$$ concert. They didnt play "stick around" which is one of my favorite songs by them but they played "Crazy Eddies Last Hurrah" otherwise know as "GOOD BY _____ER IM GONE! LOL. Didnt feel like they played as long as some other people but it was gettin late and colder. Def. Cant wait to see them again.

RANDY ROGERS BAND- Awesome as always! RRB=LOVE!!! lol. They played a lot of newer stuff and not as much old stuff. Kinda missed some of the older stuff.. they didnt play come pick me up which sucked but he made up for it when he did an encoure and sung "Empty Glass" by Gary Stwert which was A-MAZING.

All and all it was a great night of Texas Country music. Next year I am hoping its not so damn cold and windy.

Thanks alot. Great review, don't like O'Toole either. Bowen will grow on you / like his stuff, Boland is better to listen to than look at (like Stoney), & RRB is just flat kick a--. Braun brothers form the RK & Motorcars bands, so they do sound alike. Wish the weather had been better, but oh well. Thanks again!

CHS_CG
04-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Thanks alot. Great review, don't like O'Toole either. Bowen will grow on you / like his stuff, Boland is better to listen to than look at (like Stoney), & RRB is just flat kick a--. Braun brothers form the RK & Motorcars bands, so they do sound alike. Wish the weather had been better, but oh well. Thanks again!

I must disagree with you with Stoney.. My friends and I love to look at him... We think its his butt! lol.:thinking:

g$$
04-16-2007, 03:07 PM
I must disagree with you with Stoney.. My friends and I love to look at him... We think its his butt! lol.:thinking:

Really? We saw him live 2 weeks ago here in Houston. Love his music, but my girlfriend wasn't into his looks. I could care less!

Hey, that's what makes the world go around. BTW, Randy isn't missing any meals lately!

CHS_CG
04-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Really? We saw him live 2 weeks ago here in Houston. Love his music, but my girlfriend wasn't into his looks. I could care less!

Hey, that's what makes the world go around. BTW, Randy isn't missing any meals lately!

no he isnt thats for sure!

Bull19
04-16-2007, 04:56 PM
STONEY IS THE ONLY GUY OUT THERE RIGHT NOW PUTTING OUT GOOD MUSIC,,,,,HE HAS A KICK-A BAND AND PUTS ON A GREAT SHOW,,,,,,,,WITHOUT A DOUBT HE HAS THE BEST VOICE COMPARED TO ANY OTHER ACT PLAYING THE TX AND OK JOINTS.

xeagle10
04-16-2007, 08:22 PM
Bull19 I agree with you 100%. But Ragweed in my opinion puts on the best shows. But I am goin to see Stoney and just about every other big name in Texas Music at Larry Joe Taylors 19th Annual Music Festival. Is anyone on here goin?

Antec
04-16-2007, 09:33 PM
Randy Rogers is kind of up on himself like Cory Morrow used to be before he got a rude awakeing with the law and his drinking problem

RR is good but there are some other good Texas music groups out there that dont get a lot of air play

Mark David Manders

Max Stalling

Sunny Sweeney

Larry Joe Taylor

Jack Ingram

Derailers

Cosmic Dust Devils

Robert Earl Keen

others who have paid dues
Radney Foster, Rodney Crowell

Bull19
04-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Randy Rogers is kind of up on himself like Cory Morrow used to be before he got a rude awakeing with the law and his drinking problem

RR is good but there are some other good Texas music groups out there that dont get a lot of air play

Mark David Manders

Max Stalling

Sunny Sweeney

Larry Joe Taylor

Jack Ingram

Derailers

Cosmic Dust Devils

Robert Earl Keen

JACK INGRAM:thinking: ,,,,YOU DO REALIZE HE HAS A #1 BILLBOARD COUNTRY HIT AND JUST WON A CMT MUSIC AWARD TONIGHT,,NOT TO MENTION RECENT SUCCESS OF HIS PAST FEW SINGLES GETTING TONS OF SPINS ON COUNTRY RADIO DONT YOU???

ALSO HIS VIDEO'S ARE ON TOP 20 COUNTDOWN ON CMT EVERY WEEK

CHS_CG
04-17-2007, 07:45 AM

Mark David Manders

Max Stalling

Sunny Sweeney

Larry Joe Taylor

Jack Ingram

Derailers

Cosmic Dust Devils

Robert Earl Keen

with the exception of a few( and it might be just bc i dont really pay attention to who sings a song till i like that song) all of those people get air time here.. Around here we are very Texas Country Music proud and play a lot of it!