PDA

View Full Version : TC Girls Win School's 1st Championship!

kepdawg
04-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Congrats to the TC girls! It is the first athletic team state championship in school history!

The Colony girls take 4A soccer title

04:32 PM CDT on Saturday, April 14, 2007

By DAVID HINOJOSA / The Dallas Morning News
dhinojosa@dallasnews.com

ROUND ROCK, Texas - Junior midfielder Amanda Fancher scored on a 22-yard free kick with 1:09 remaining in the first half to lead The Colony over Friendswood, 1-0, Saturday in the Class 4A girls soccer championship game.

Fancher was named the championship's MVP.

The Colony (23-3-4) finished the season with 11 shutouts in its last 12 games. The Colony dictated play for much of the contest. Its possession game was unaffected by the windy conditions. The Colony out-shot Friendswood, 22-4.

3aSoftball4Mom
04-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Congrats to the TC girls! It is the first athletic team state championship in school history!

The Colony girls take 4A soccer title

04:32 PM CDT on Saturday, April 14, 2007

By DAVID HINOJOSA / The Dallas Morning News
dhinojosa@dallasnews.com

ROUND ROCK, Texas - Junior midfielder Amanda Fancher scored on a 22-yard free kick with 1:09 remaining in the first half to lead The Colony over Friendswood, 1-0, Saturday in the Class 4A girls soccer championship game.

Fancher was named the championship's MVP.

The Colony (23-3-4) finished the season with 11 shutouts in its last 12 games. The Colony dictated play for much of the contest. Its possession game was unaffected by the windy conditions. The Colony out-shot Friendswood, 22-4.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Well, let me be the first to Congratulate you and the girls from TC on the downlow!!!
The first Athletic Championship???!!! WAY TO GO GIRLS!!

kepdawg
04-15-2007, 06:40 PM
The Colony brings home first state title in its history

01:37 AM CDT on Sunday, April 15, 2007

ROUND ROCK, Texas – More than half the teams that played for state soccer championships Saturday were from the Dallas area. A pretty impressive achievement, but one that might not be recognized by fans who need a plane ticket or a tank of gas to get to Dallas.

Unless those people talked to someone from The Colony.

"Nobody knows where The Colony is," senior defender Sarah Gregory said. "We have to say, 'You know, Dallas, Frisco ... that area.' "

It's an area that dominated soccer this season. A record five teams from North Texas played on the final day of the state tournament, and three of them won titles.

The Colony was among them. Junior midfielder Amanda Fancher scored the game's only goal late in the first half as The Colony defeated Friendswood, 1-0, to win the Class 4A girls championship.

"I don't know what I feel," Gregory said after the game. "I guess I'm still kind of in shock."

Hard to blame her. She was part of a team that had achieved the ultimate goal. And she was playing for a school that had never been to a state final, in any sport, since it opened in 1986.

Before this year, The Colony's athletic highlight was the 2001 boys basketball team that made it to the 5A state semifinals. If a team with future NBA players Deron Williams and Bracey Wright couldn't win a title, would The Colony ever win one?

A few months ago, nobody expected the girls soccer team to answer that question. Not after last season, when it scored a total of three goals in district play.

Of course, that was when The Colony was a small 5A school competing against some of the biggest in the state. It was in the same district as soccer powerhouses Plano West (5A state champ this season) and Flower Mound Marcus (semifinalist).

Moving to 4A gave The Colony hope. But it didn't have a lot of believers early in the season after it lost its first two district games.

By playoff time, however, The Colony had shut out six straight opponents. And by Saturday, it had a nice crowd of fans on a spring day that sometimes felt like winter. Those fans saw The Colony (23-3-4) control the game whether it was playing with the wind at its back or in its face.

Fancher, named the match's MVP, scored from 22 yards out with 1:09 left in the first half.

"I saw everybody on the back line and I thought, 'I'll just curve it in,' " Fancher said. "With my luck, it went in. It felt pretty good."

Especially when playing for a team that had shut out 10 of its previous 11 opponents. Defense was the strength all season for The Colony, and Friendswood (23-4-1) had few scoring chances in the second half.

"It just feels really good to finally get this under our belt and make state history," Fancher said. "This sets the standard of what we can do."

For the soccer team, and perhaps, the rest of The Colony's teams. Coaches from the school have talked this year about how much they want The Colony to be recognized as a winning program.

"Winning breeds winning. I believe that and I preach that," soccer coach Nicole Jund said. "And I believe the school believes that. We just kind of had to break the seal."

dogdad
04-15-2007, 06:45 PM
I'll be the 2nd
congrats to the Colony!
fantastic finish to a great season