PDA

View Full Version : Aggie recruit DeAndre Jordan is staying!!!!

Funk-d-fied
04-12-2007, 10:53 AM
Top Texas A&M recruit will not seek transfer to Kentucky
By Jerry Tipton
HERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITER
Highly-regarded prospect DeAndre Jordan will not follow Billy Gillispie to Kentucky, the player's AAU coach said Thursday.

Gillispie signed Jordan, a 6-foot-11 center, to play for Texas A&M. When Gillispie took the Kentucky coaching job last week, speculation arose about Jordan following him to Lexington.

"There's no truth to that," AAU coach Byron Smith said. "I know that makes for a great story. But no one from this camp is going to Kentucky.

"He's a loyal kid," Smith said of Jordan. "Once he gives his word, he sticks to it." Jordan has spoken to new Texas A&M Coach Mark Turgeon, Smith said. The two hit it off. Jordan will not seek a release from Texas A&M to play for Kentucky.

Jordan, whom the Prep Stars recruiting service rates among the top 12 prospects nationally, also had offers from Arizona and Connecticut. "At the end of the day, he's a Texas kid," Smith said of Jordan, who attends high school in Houston. "His family will be close" to Texas A&M. ... "Family takes precedence over Billy."

Smith vouched for Gillispie's coaching abilities and predicted a bright future for Kentucky.

"That's my guy," Smith said of the new UK coach. "I love him. ... I'm a basketball junkie, and so is he. He's going to spread some magic in Lexington."

Speculation about a possible transfer arose when Jordan did not write Texas A&M on a form he submitted for the Derby Festival game, a high school all-star game that will be played Saturday in Louisville.

Jordan left that space blank. Smith said it was a "simple mistake," not an indication of Jordan's wish to attend another school.

Brick Oettinger, an analyst for Prep Stars, said Jordan was a top prospect.

"Probably the best recruit Texas A&M has ever gotten," Oettinger said. "Ever. He will end up being, I suspect, a very good NBA player."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reds fan
04-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Great news indeed. I admire loyalty.

g$$
04-12-2007, 11:13 AM
That is big. Keep the class intact.

(Byron Smith played at Houston)