PDA

View Full Version : Sinton made the News (merged)

luvhoops34
04-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Just saw on the Corpus news that the TABC gave out 29 citations last weekend, at a party in St. Paul, to kids from Sinton. According to the news some were athletes. I sure hope this doesn't mess up their baseball/softball season. :(

RMAC
04-12-2007, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Just saw on the Corpus news that the TABC gave out 29 citations last weekend, at a party in St. Paul, to kids from Sinton. According to the news some were athletes. I sure hope this doesn't mess up their baseball/softball season. :(

If it's their first it's only 15 days for sports. The kicker is the suspensions don't start until they are proven/plead guilty. What I've seen happen before, this late in the season, the kids' parents fight them because of playoffs and due to the amount of time it takes for any judicial system to get something done, the season is over before a verdict is passed down and they just sit out the beginning of next season.

Buccaneer
04-12-2007, 12:32 AM
SINTON - Authorities have handed out 29 tickets to students caught drinking at a party north of Sinton on Sunday night. Even more troubling was the fact that one student nearly killed himself trying to drive home from the party. As a result, San Patricio County deputies said they plan to crack down on underage drinking.

The superintendent of Sinton ISD Wednesday confirmed that many of those at the party Sunday night were athletes. He wouldn't say how many or in what sports, but they have been temporarily suspended from extracurricular activities.

It all began around 12:15 a.m. late Sunday night. A DPS trooper responded to a rollover accident on FM 3089 in St. Paul, just north of Sinton. The driver was a Calallen student, Andrew Swieric, 17, who was taken to Christus Spohn Hospital-Memorial with a broken nose and internal injuries. He was also charged with DWI.

Authorities then found the party where he had been drinking about a quarter of a mile away. A DPS trooper said a total of 29 minors were in possession (MIP) of alcohol and all were ticketed. They also found boxes and boxes of unopened beer cans and bottles.

The party was held at a home also located on FM 3089. Authorities said Mark Goyet's, 17, parents were out of town and he decided to have a few friends over. TABC agents are now looking into the incident to find out how the students got a hold of so much booze.

This is the second time Goyet has made news this year. The former football standout was arrested in February and charged with arson. He was accused of burning down a small security office on campus.

The Sinton superintendent said Goyet had already been expelled, and that arson case is expected to go before the grand jury next week.

But the bigger issue is really the problem of underage drinking in general.

The Justice of the Peace handling the case, Yolanda Guerrero, said she's never seen this many MIP's given out at once and San Patricio County's chief deputy said that residents can expect a crackdown by his department on underage drinking. Especially since in light of this incident that nearly cost one 17-year old student his life

injuredinmelee
04-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by RMAC
If it's their first it's only 15 days for sports. The kicker is the suspensions don't start until they are proven/plead guilty. What I've seen happen before, this late in the season, the kids' parents fight them because of playoffs and due to the amount of time it takes for any judicial system to get something done, the season is over before a verdict is passed down and they just sit out the beginning of next season.

oh yeah how did you MIP turn out?

;)

Old Tiger
04-12-2007, 12:33 AM
One kid has to wreck and ruin it for the rest....glad he is ok though

injuredinmelee
04-12-2007, 12:36 AM
ps4 you know good bondsman down there?

Buccaneer
04-12-2007, 12:38 AM
good bondsman is an oxymoron

Old Tiger
04-12-2007, 12:41 AM
If I were at the party and didn't drive and saw the cops roll up I would have jetted off.

RMAC
04-12-2007, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
oh yeah how did you MIP turn out?

;)

Haha. . . which one? This first year of college was a learning experience to be sure.:D

injuredinmelee
04-12-2007, 01:19 AM
i still remember exactly what was in your cart at wally world over christmas break.

piratebg
04-12-2007, 07:06 AM
Mark Goyet was on the football team. I think he was also charged with arson earlier this year when him and someone else decided to try to burn down a security booth that the school recently put in the student parking lot.

Adidas410s
04-12-2007, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
One kid has to wreck and ruin it for the rest....glad he is ok though

Or maybe...................wait for it.......................they shouldn't be drinking while they are underage. There are few things dumber than HS kids drinking. The level of irresponsibility and poor decision making increases exponentially once they get alcohol in their hands.

LH Panther Mom
04-12-2007, 08:20 AM
One kid has to wreck and ruin it for the rest.... :doh: :doh: You kill me sometimes.

kaorder1999
04-12-2007, 08:22 AM
one reason underrage drinking is such a big problem is because so many parents allow it

LH Panther Mom
04-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
one reason underrage drinking is such a big problem is because so many parents allow it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: (Not this one.....)

Adidas410s
04-12-2007, 08:27 AM
one reason underrage drinking is such a big problem is because so many parents allow it
true...RMAC can attest to the number of parents that allow/encourage/supply their children with alcohol in Graham. It's definitely a sad state of affairs.

piratebg
04-12-2007, 08:31 AM
The article in the San Patricio newspaper was a little more specific. It said that when they got to the house all of the kids hid and turned off the lights. The deputies made contact with the home owner and they refused to let the officers in, but they gave permission to the neighbor to enter the house to retrieve only the owner's son, Mark Goyet. Once outside, Goyet and the neighbor took turns talking to dad and they informed the authorties that the owner still refused to give them permission to enter the house. After a while, the deputies could hear laughing from inside the house, and eventually the light came on that kids starting waving and laughing thinking they were safe. Then the authorties informed the owner that if he did not let them in they would press charges for making alcohol available to minors, a class b misd I believe, and hold him responsible for the rollover.

Phil C
04-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Sinton kids stay away from alcohol, drugs or tobacco! Don't do anything illegal. Stay away from parties and those that have such things. Don't do anything your parents, teachers, coaches and police wouldn't want you to do.

This goes for all kids everywhere and not just Sinton.

When I was in High School I remember one time some of the Freer athletes and myself decided to have a party ourselves after watching a movie at the drive in theatre. This was during the summer so we were between sports and allowed to stay out a little late at night on Saturdays. We got some soda water (cokes and sprites) and chips. We didn't have any alcohol, drugs or tobacco or anything illigal. We drank our drinks and ate our chips and watched a good Audie Murphy western (Drums Along the River) on the late show. Then we went home. Surely a good time was had by all.

Johnny Utah
04-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Phil C, good point about kids staying away from that stuff, BUT it happens, not just in Sinton, but all places. Sad, but true. That is why most schools have project graduation now, too many alcohol related deaths in earlier years and after proms and such. Happened in Rockdale years ago.

Phil C
04-12-2007, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Phil C, good point about kids staying away from that stuff, BUT it happens, not just in Sinton, but all places. Sad, but true. That is why most schools have project graduation now, too many alcohol related deaths in earlier years and after proms and such. Happened in Rockdale years ago.

True Johnny. It is not just an isolated problem. And one thing about that Saturday night is that after the drive in movie we took our dates at home as we were supposed to and got permission from our parents to go watch the late movie at our friends house so our parents knew where we were.

Johnny Utah
04-12-2007, 09:39 AM
In my opinion, just an opinion, it is the parents responsibility, period. No blame should be placed on anyone else. Your child gets in trouble, you as a parent are responsible, no one else.

Old Tiger
04-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Or maybe...................wait for it.......................they shouldn't be drinking while they are underage. There are few things dumber than HS kids drinking. The level of irresponsibility and poor decision making increases exponentially once they get alcohol in their hands. Or they could be responsible under age drinkers and stay the night at the house.

Adidas410s
04-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Or they could be responsible under age drinkers.

Wow...if that's not an oxymoron/paradox..then I don't know what is. Hey KA...here's a perfect example that you can use in your English classes! ;)

I wonder how many teenage kids drink because they truly appreciate the taste of wine coolers and beer...:thinking:

LH Panther Mom
04-12-2007, 10:27 AM
Or they could be responsible under age drinkers and stay the night at the house. Yeah, that's what I want to teach my kids. It's responsible to break the law. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

kaorder1999
04-12-2007, 10:32 AM
The Law doesn't read.....It is illegal for any persons under the age of 21 to drink unless they are at home and off the roads...

big daddy russ
04-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Wow...if that's not an oxymoron/paradox..then I don't know what is. Hey KA...here's a perfect example that you can use in your English classes! ;)

I wonder how many teenage kids drink because they truly appreciate the taste of wine coolers and beer...:thinking:
That's funny.

I don't have a problem with underage kids drinking as long as it's only one or two, with their parents, and at the dinner table. But this was definitely different. A kid almost died from being stupid.

Adidas410s
04-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Yeah, that's what I want to teach my kids. It's responsible to break the law. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
are people allowed to be banned for stupidity? :nerd:

kaorder1999
04-12-2007, 10:44 AM
guys...believe it or not that is how the majority of our society views underage drinking. They believe it is okay as long as they either are #1 staying wherever they are drinking and not driving or #2 with their parents when drinking. Our society isn't teaching these young people that it is AGAISNT THE LAW!!!!!!

Phil C
04-12-2007, 10:54 AM

Ad there will be pleanty of time for that taste enjoyment after they turn legal age which in Texas is 21.

big daddy russ
04-12-2007, 12:14 PM
guys...believe it or not that is how the majority of our society views underage drinking. They believe it is okay as long as they either are #1 staying wherever they are drinking and not driving or #2 with their parents when drinking. Our society isn't teaching these young people that it is AGAISNT THE LAW!!!!!!
It's actually legal if you do it with your parents. Most chain restaurants won't let it happen, but at the restaurant I used to bartend for down in Port Aransas it happened all the time. It also happened in my house growing up.

It won't be a big deal in my house as long as you're doing it because it's something to drink and not to get hammered. But again, that's just one man's opinion. Everyone has the right to raise their kids the way they see fit as long as it doesn't include the occassional caning.

RMAC
04-12-2007, 12:20 PM
That's the one that cracks me up. You can drink with your parents, but they can't give you tobacco of any sort.

Old Tiger
04-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
That's the one that cracks me up. You can drink with your parents, but they can't give you tobacco of any sort. I remember my fist smoke and brewski w/ my pa.

RMAC
04-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
i still remember exactly what was in your cart at wally world over christmas break.

Needless to say, it was a good evening.

SintonFan
04-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Kids who drink have a much greater chance at becoming an alcoholic.
I for one don't think it should be condoned.

pirate44
04-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Kids who drink have a much greater chance at becoming an alcoholic.
I for one don't think it should be condoned.
amen brother.

on a related note...

...had i been caught trying to burn a building down, my parents wouldnt let me out of their site until i moved out of the house.

someday, i hope Sinton will make examples of kids and their parents who do things similar to what is being reported.

SintonFan
04-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
amen brother.

on a related note...

...had i been caught trying to burn a building down, my parents wouldnt let me out of their site until i moved out of the house.

someday, i hope Sinton will make examples of kids and their parents who do things similar to what is being reported.
I've seen that culture of parents letting their kids drink and nothing good EVER comes of it. Even the "responsible parents" who insist their teenage kids stay home to drink are hurting their children. Heck their young minds aren't fully developed yet. Alcohol will help develop that child's mind in ways that child might not be able to cope with as an adult. Alcoholism just for starters.
All because folks throw up their hands and say, "Well, they're gonna do it anyway.":doh: Jeez! Take back responsibility in your house and stop MAKING YOUR KID YOUR DRINKING BUDDY!:mad: :o
I'm not implying that this is going on in Sinton right now but I've seen it happen in the coastal bend and in SA.

pirate44
04-12-2007, 12:46 PM
I've seen that culture of parents letting their kids drink and nothing good EVER comes of it. Even the "responsible parents" who insist their teenage kids stay home to drink are hurting their children. Heck their young minds aren't fully developed yet. Alcohol will help develop that child's mind in ways that child might not be able to cope with as an adult. Alcoholism just for starters.
All because folks throw up their hands and say, "Well, they're gonna do it anyway.":doh: Jeez! Take back responsibility in your house and stop MAKING YOUR KID YOUR DRINKING BUDDY!:mad: :o
i need to get you a copy of the dvd i bought recently. a seminar from Dr. Ray Guarendi. i think you'd enjoy it. especially if you like Bill Cosby type humor.

SintonFan
04-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Yes please.:)

pirate44
04-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Yes please.:)
great. ill let you know when i get the copy made, then i'll find out how best to get it to ya.

piratebg
04-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Out of curiousity, were there any of the baseball players there? The whole team is still together, right?

SintonFan
04-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
Out of curiousity, were there any of the baseball players there? The whole team is still together, right?
I'm not sure but there were Cal kids there, too. At least according to chanal no. 6 last night.

AP Panther Fan
04-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Sorry to hear about all of this. If it's not AP, it's Ingleside, Sinton, Calallen, BF Egypt....

piratebg
04-12-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm not sure but there were Cal kids there, too. At least according to chanal no. 6 last night.

The kid in the rollover was from Calallen. Don't know if he was a baseball player or if there were any others with him.

Old Tiger
04-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Maybe it is true what the GP guys say about the Calallen guys.:thinking: :nerd:

SintonFan_inAustin
04-12-2007, 01:49 PM
It took a while for this to hit the news. Heard about it on Monday and congrats to the players that played on Tuesday as they were smart enough to not be there. But there was some baseball(5) and softball(2) players that were caught there.

Hannibal
04-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
The kid in the rollover was from Calallen. Don't know if he was a baseball player or if there were any others with him.

The kid in the rollover grew up in Sinton.