PDA

View Full Version : Bledsoe retires

kepdawg
04-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Ex-Cowboys QB Bledsoe retires

10:18 PM CDT on Wednesday, April 11, 2007

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
tarcher@dallasnews.com

IRVING – Drew Bledsoe's career has come to an end.

A starter since the day he entered the NFL as the No. 1 overall pick by New England in 1993, Bledsoe, who was released by the Cowboys on March 1, has decided to spend more time with his wife and four children.

"I feel so fortunate, so honored, to have played this game that I love for so long, with so many great players, and in front of so many wonderful fans," Bledsoe said in a statement. "I fulfilled a childhood dream the first time I stepped on an NFL field, and the league did not let me down one time. I retire with a smile on my face, in good health, and ready to spend autumns at my kids' games instead of my own. I'm excited to start the next chapter of my life."

In two seasons with the Cowboys, Bledsoe threw for 4,803 yards with 30 touchdowns, 25 interceptions and a 12-10 record. His 23 touchdown passes in 2005 were the most by a Dallas quarterback since Troy Aikman had 23 in 1992.

But his last pass, which was intercepted at the goal line by New York Giants cornerback Sam Madison on Oct. 23, 2006, set in motion the beginning of the Tony Romo Era when coach Bill Parcells decided to bench Bledsoe.

Romo started the final 10 games and helped direct the Cowboys to the playoffs, earning a Pro Bowl berth. Although disappointed in the move, Bledsoe never made an issue with the demotion and continued to serve as the offensive captain.

In 14 seasons with the Patriots, Buffalo and Cowboys, Bledsoe, 35, retires from the NFL with 44,611 passing yards (seventh-most in history), 251 touchdown passes (13th), 6,717 attempts (fifth) and 3,839 completions (fifth). He was named to the Pro Bowl four times.

Columnist Jean-Jacques Taylor contributed to this report.

coach
04-11-2007, 10:47 PM
3 seasons too late

Snydertigersrul
04-11-2007, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by coach
3 seasons too late

No other team wanted him so he had no other choice but retire.

kepdawg
04-12-2007, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
No other team wanted him so he had no other choice but retire.

Pretty much

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-12-2007, 01:08 AM
Hey, give the man some credit, he was just out there trying to live his dream the best that he could. Can't fault him for a second for that.

g$$
04-12-2007, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Hey, give the man some credit, he was just out there trying to live his dream the best that he could. Can't fault him for a second for that.

Agreed. Class act who played football at the highest level in the world & excelled for many years. No need for cheap shots.

Best of luck to him in retirement.

kepdawg
04-12-2007, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Agreed. Class act who played football at the highest level in the world & excelled for many years. No need for cheap shots.

Best of luck to him in retirement.

I must have missed something.