PDA

View Full Version : MSNBC drops Imus

kepdawg
04-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Imus dropped by MSNBC amid furor over comments
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- MSNBC said Wednesday it will drop its simulcast of the "Imus in the Morning" radio program, responding to growing outrage over the radio host's racial slur against the Rutgers women's basketball team.

"This decision comes as a result of an ongoing review process, which initially included the announcement of a suspension. It also takes into account many conversations with our own employees," NBC news said in a statement.

The decision also was announced on air.

Imus triggered the uproar on his April 4 show, when he referred to the mostly black Rutgers women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos." His comments have been widely denounced by civil rights and women's groups.

The network's decision came after a growing list of sponsors -- including American Express Co., Staples Inc., Procter & Gamble Co., and General Motors Corp. -- said they were pulling ads from Imus' show for the indefinite future.

But it did not end calls for Imus to be fired from the radio portion of his program. The show originates from WFAN-AM in New York City and is syndicated nationally by Westwood One, both of which are managed by CBS Corp.

Bruce Gordon, former head of the NAACP and a director of CBS Corp., said Wednesday he hoped the broadcasting company would "make the smart decision" by firing Imus.

"He's crossed the line, he's violated our community," Gordon said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "He needs to face the consequence of that violation."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

carter08
04-11-2007, 06:41 PM
racist?

white chicks can be nappy headed too

Matthew328
04-11-2007, 06:55 PM
When you say something stupid be prepared to face whatever reprecussions may come about...

Old Tiger
04-11-2007, 06:56 PM
lame...

JasperDog94
04-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Mob mentality at it's finest.:( Not that I had any clue who he was before this anyway.

smustangs
04-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Mob mentality at it's finest.:( Not that I had any clue who he was before this anyway.

i agree, never heard of the guy but the mob metality and attack of him will continue i wouldn't be suprise if he dosent loose his job over it

Matthew328
04-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Happens all the time, very similar to the Tim Hardawary deal...you say something thats out there and you gotta be ready to face the consequences of what you say....

If I called a bunch of women nappy headed ho's at my job I'd get fired too..LOL

SnyTigBaseB07
04-11-2007, 09:55 PM
id imagine after this settles someone will pick him up again.

but ya know, this is kinda good for his career. now people know who he is.

i used to listen to him on the way to school. now i listen to the sound of wind. lol.

PHS Wildcats
04-11-2007, 10:09 PM
We, the African American community is overreacting, right? We should just shup and stop being sensitive, right?

Emerson1
04-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
We, the African American community is overreacting, right? We should just shup and stop being sensitive, right?
Yes

The only reason Al ever brought himself into this was because he was personally offended by the nappy hair. He really needs to find a barber who doesn't do Don Kings hair to.

jason
04-11-2007, 10:13 PM
We, the African American community is overreacting, right? We should just shup and stop being sensitive, right? yes....he never said anything about african americans....they (african americans) just assumed thats who he was talking about....how is it his fault if they (african americans) associate themselves with the phrase 'nappy headed hos'...when chris rock tells jokes about 'crackers' its funny, but god forbid anybody say anything about them......

Old Tiger
04-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Why don't people just say black people? If you have to go out of the way to prove your not racist by saying African American you are racist.

PHS Wildcats
04-11-2007, 10:26 PM
I am african american,

Thank you jason & Emerson, I never thought I would see this on the downlow.:eek:

And calling a college basketball team Hoes id funny?:confused:

Sad

JasperDog94
04-11-2007, 11:39 PM

Who said it was funny?

DU_stud04
04-11-2007, 11:40 PM

Old Tiger
04-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Your mom goes to college!

injuredinmelee
04-12-2007, 12:18 AM

is the phrase "nappy headed ho" indigenious only to the black community? Which one is it are you african or american? Just giving yourself a label is you trying to separate yourself from the rest of society, a society that screams for peace and equality.

piratebg
04-12-2007, 07:10 AM
This has just gone way to far. :dispntd:

LH Panther Mom
04-12-2007, 07:18 AM
I am african american,

Sad I personally would be MUCH more offended at being called a ho, than any reference to my hair, but that's just me.

I haven't commented on this, but I can certainly see why his remarks were taken as being racially insensitive. Growing up, the black kids I attended school with were the only ones I remember ever talking about having nappy hair. So yes, I would most likely take that as being racial. And ho? I'm sorry, but that's just plain rude, IMO.

Any public figure that makes a stupid comment like this shouldn't be surprised when action is taken, especially one who works for the media. Losing big advertising accounts is a huge deal....advertisers "hit-list" programs all the time. Enough advertisers hit-list a program and there's no longer a financial reason to keep it on.

CenTexSports
04-12-2007, 07:25 AM
Imus' show has been around forever and it has always been based on saterical comedy. Even if what he said was offensive or just in bad taste, it was comedy.

IMO, if what he said is truely worth firing him over, every comedian that lambasts the President should lose their gigs and be banned from future work.

People that are offended by specific types of humor should not listen to it. I promise you there are a number of black comedians and "artist" (DEF Jam poetry) that offends me so I do not listen to it. It does not mean that I start a protest to get it banned.

Come on people: Grow Up and stop being offended like a child!

piratebg
04-12-2007, 07:25 AM
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f227/sdorf/carrottop.jpg

NAPPY HEADED HO :D

centexgobbler
04-12-2007, 08:06 AM
If you do not like what the man says, turn the dial or use the remote to change the channel. One of the great things about this country used to be the freedom of speech. I may not like what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. We are becoming a nation of politically correct pansies. "You hurt my feelings" "You can't say that" And yet it is ok for a black comedian to make fun of blacks, a gay comedian to make fun of gays, etc. We cannot live on both sides of the fence.

Phil C
04-12-2007, 09:07 AM
We don't condone what he said. He was wrong what he said but the man was suspended for two weeks and publicly apologized and repented. It is Rev. Al and Rev. Jesse (and I also use that term Rev. loosely) that don't have the forgiving spirit which is not like Christ. I am more inclined to not support those sponsors who give in to Al and Jesse too much. I am an old man but I have noticed that most of the time that those who call other people racists are quite often the biggest racists of all.

Phil C
04-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by centexgobbler
If you do not like what the man says, turn the dial or use the remote to change the channel. One of the great things about this country used to be the freedom of speech. I may not like what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. We are becoming a nation of politically correct pansies. "You hurt my feelings" "You can't say that" And yet it is ok for a black comedian to make fun of blacks, a gay comedian to make fun of gays, etc. We cannot live on both sides of the fence.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

JasperDog94
04-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by piratebg

Wow! Carrot Top sure got buff.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ranger Mom
04-12-2007, 09:15 AM
I guess my own sweet mother is a racist....she used to call my little brother and sister "nappy heads" after they woke up from their naps. For years, I thought she just called them that because they had just gotten up from a nap...hence the phrase "nappy head". It was as I got older that I realized she meant that their hair was all messed up and tangled.

I have never associated "nappy hair" with strictly African Americans. IMO, Imus has "nappy hair" himself!

Now.....being called a "ho", that is what I would have been really mad about.

CenTexSports
04-12-2007, 09:15 AM
You don't see men wearing hip huggers veryoften and I think this picture shows why.

pero chato
04-12-2007, 09:57 AM
I doubt Imus coined the term "ho". Hmmm.... now just where did that word come from? Probably rap artists. So I would assume if the women on the team are offended (and rightfully so) then their next step would be to toss all of their cds in the trash that have the offending word. If they do not own such music cds, then they could at least take this opportunity to speak out against the word, no matter where it is used.

Bottom line, good grief, why is one crusty old ugly white man causing such a stir?!

BTEXDAD
04-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by pero chato

Bottom line, good grief, why is one crusty old ugly white man causing such a stir?!

I'm fine with his show being cancelled, him losing job, etc. Dumb remarks. But as has been said, and also IMO, his remarks were more sexist than racist.
As to why he is causing such a stir, key word is apparently "white".
What seems racist to me is that he was condemned so vehemently while others get away with using the same words with no repercussions.

BuffyMars
04-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by piratebg

NAPPY HEADED HO :D

I now see a different side to Carrot Top, and I appreciate it greatly. :D

mustang04
04-12-2007, 10:57 AM
hmmmm......im not even gonna get in this...cuz i'd just end up getting rom'd.,...so yall have fun on this thread!!! im gonna go see who i can piss off on the "911 conspiracy thread"!!!:D :D

zeus63
04-12-2007, 11:15 AM
The issue of racism is a bunch of crap. Last time I checked we all live on planet earth and all belong to the same race, THE HUMAN RACE, we just happen to have a variety of skin color. The people that most often cry out that someone is being racist, need to take a long look in the mirror and realize who really has the problem. The problem with this whole situation with Imus is now that he got called out by the black community, now the guy is being put in the spotlight. You think he is not going to be able to work in radio again, you are wrong. People are going to be fighting over this guy, because now he is a controversial figure, kind of like Howard Stern. People are going to want him for his shock value. Don't think people will listen to him. Gauranteed he will make some staion very wealthy because EVERYONE will be listening to see if he will say something off the wall again.(This may be the part that gets me ROMMED, but I'm going to put it in anyways). As for Sharpton and Jackson, they could care less about this Imus guy, all they want is to get on TV so their backers will keep paying them and they don't have to get a real job. Once people realize that the leaders of any ethnic group don't really give a crap about anybody but themselves, we will all be better off. Hell, the issue of racism might just go away completely.

THE END!!