PDA

View Full Version : Clean Slate in Jasper

kepdawg
04-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Clean slate in hand, Brooks ready for challenge
By JIMMY GALVAN Managing Editor

In his new role as athletic director, Jasper's Thomas Brooks may be busy but his mind is on football.

"The last time I was here I was football coach only and didn't have to worry about the other things," Brooks said. "But I welcome the AD duties as well and look forward to it.

"I haven't been excited in a long time and even though this is a new job, I have been here before," Brooks said.

He admitted one of his first challenges would be increasing the numbers of athletes in the football program.

"There are not as many numbers here as when I left in 2001 but the ones that are here work hard," Brooks said. "They look good. The cupboard is not bare - we have talent here."

He said he is actively talking to students in the hallways encouraging them to tryout for football next year.

"We have been hitting the halls and been talking to guys that have got out of the program and see if they want to get back in the program," Brooks said. "We are opening up the program to everyone. If you didn't get along with the last coaching staff, it is different this time around.

"Some kids realize they have one more shot and do the right thing," Brooks said. "I want to give those kids the opportunity to come back and get in the program and see what they can do.

"You hear about the players that other coaches said had attitudes, but I want to find out for myself," Brooks said. "Somebody can tell me about somebody but I like to find out for myself because what didn't work for someone else, might work for me and that young man."

He said the more kids in the program, the better the program and the community.

"If nothing else, it will take up a lot of their idle time," Brooks said.

He said winning would also do a lot in bringing up the numbers in the football program.

Last year, the Bulldogs suffered through a 2-8 season and that hurt the numbers in the program.

"If the younger kids see us being successful on the field, then they will come back to the program," Brooks said.

He said he has to prove himself to some of the younger generation of players who are unfamiliar with him and his reputation.

"Most kids want to be treated fair," Brooks said. "Long as you care about them, you can get on them."

Last week, Brooks was able to get some of his players in their athletic period on the field to work on some offensive schemes for the coming year.

"They have only been lifting weights so they are ready to touch a football again," Brooks said. "Without a head coach, they didn't know what to go outside and work on."

Brooks said the Bulldogs would run multiple offensive sets this year in changing the format from recent years.

"We are going to be all over the place," Brooks said. "We are going to do it where the kids are going to understand it and it will look confusing to the defense but not to our offense."

While many in the Jasper area are familiar with Brooks and his coaching style, there may be a few newcomers that are still learning about East Texas football.

With than mind, Brooks described himself as an "aggressive-type coach."

"I like for my players to play aggressive," Brooks said. "I like physical football and players that are willing to do whatever it takes to win.

"I'm fair and I want the kids to do the right thing at all times," Brooks said. "I'm a very emotional person. I am not one of those guys who will sit back and coach with their hands in their pockets or with their arms folded."

He said he plans on dedicating himself to getting to know his players this summer.

"I plan on being here every day during the summer," Brooks said. "I figure if we ask the guys to do things, then we as coaches need to do them.

"I might have coached some of their cousins or brothers and now I'm trying to get to know these players," Brooks said. "I want them to get to know the players and let them know the door to my office is always open.

"I don't want to seem like the big, bad wolf to them," Brooks said. "I want them to know that anytime they have a concern, the door is always open."

Brooks has heard and seen the stories about District 21-3A and knows the district will be a "dogfight."

"When you have an eight-team district, then one or two schools are not going to make it to the playoffs," Brooks said. "You can't afford to slip up too much or you will be left out. Every game is important."

Brooks is familiar with perennial favorite West Orange-Star and their head coach Dan Hooks.

"I started my career with Coach Hooks so I know what he brings to the table," Brooks said. "I am also familiar with Coach (Bobby) McGallion in Silsbee but I'm not familiar with all the schools."

He admitted that he had the opportunity see the Bulldogs in action last year.

"Anytime I had a chance to come back and see Jasper play, I would," Brooks said. "I would come in and sneak in the back gates and sit on the visitor's side and watch the game."

Unfortunately, he witnessed the Bulldogs play against Orangefield as the Bobcats shelled Jasper 33-7 in the Boneyard.

"I didn't stay and watch all of the Orangefield game," Brooks said, shaking his head.

Make no mistake about it; Brooks is looking forward to the start of the 2007 football season.

"At the same time, there is a lot of work to be done before then," Brooks said