PDA

View Full Version : another thread on top (?) restaurants.

BTEXDAD
04-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Here's an old list(I'm an old guy) of top ten restaurants in Texas From Texas Highways Magazine in 1992.
Just curious if all these are still open or if they are really any good. I've eaten at 3 of the ten.

#10 Big texan in Amarillo- Famous for big steaks (I've eaten there. It was pretty good)

#9/8 a tie - Underwood's in Brownwood (I've eaten there also and was excellent)
and The Cattleman's Steakhouse at Fabens, 30 miles SE of El Paso (Long way from my house) Says good steaks with outstanding scenery.

#7 King's Inn on Loyola Beach in South TX. Fresh seafood.

#6 Joe T. Garcia's - fort Worth, enchiladas, fajitas, etc.

#5 Alamo Cafes San Antonio Chicken fried steak, mex food.

#4 Mi Tierra Cafe Y Panaderia - San Antonio Mexican food including bakery. It says Gary P. Nunn's TX Anthem "I'll Tell You What I LIke About Texas" mentions this place

#3 Gaido's seafood in Galveston (I ate here some years ago and it was excellent)

#2 County Line BBQ Restaurants in Austin - BBQ with all u can eat options.

#1 StageCoach Inn in Salado -fried chicken, baked ham, fish and outstanding service.

Again, this is old list and I'd appreciate if someone let me know if all these places are still around. The three i've eaten at were all over 10 years ago.

pirate4state
04-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
Here's an old list(I'm an old guy) of top ten restaurants in Texas From Texas Highways Magazine in 1992.
Just curious if all these are still open or if they are really any good. I've eaten at 3 of the ten.

#10 Big texan in Amarillo- Famous for big steaks (I've eaten there. It was pretty good)

#9/8 a tie - Underwood's in Brownwood (I've eaten there also and was excellent)
and The Cattleman's Steakhouse at Fabens, 30 miles SE of El Paso (Long way from my house) Says good steaks with outstanding scenery.

#7 King's Inn on Loyola Beach in South TX. Fresh seafood.

#6 Joe T. Garcia's - fort Worth, enchiladas, fajitas, etc.

#5 Alamo Cafes San Antonio Chicken fried steak, mex food.

#4 Mi Tierra Cafe Y Panaderia - San Antonio Mexican food including bakery. It says Gary P. Nunn's TX Anthem "I'll Tell You What I LIke About Texas" mentions this place

#3 Gaido's seafood in Galveston (I ate here some years ago and it was excellent)

#2 County Line BBQ Restaurants in Austin - BBQ with all u can eat options.

#1 StageCoach Inn in Salado -fried chicken, baked ham, fish and outstanding service.

Again, this is old list and I'd appreciate if someone let me know if all these places are still around. The three i've eaten at were all over 10 years ago.

I don't know if County Line is still open, but it sure was good back in 1989! :thumbsup:

BullFrog Dad
04-11-2007, 01:41 PM
#6 Joe T's is way overrated.

Reds fan
04-11-2007, 01:45 PM
Gaido's was still there, a coupla years ago any way, awesome seafood!

bhtrainer
04-11-2007, 01:46 PM
my favorite restaurant is by far Rajin Cajun!! anyone been there?

Adidas410s
04-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I don't know if County Line is still open, but it sure was good back in 1989! :thumbsup:

The ones in Austin are very much alive and cooking! ;)

Underwoods in Brownwood is good...but different. They have very good sides IMO. Gotta love the beefsteak :)

Joe T Garcia's has turned into a tourist trap. The lines just keep getting longer, the prices keep eeking higher, yet the food quality seems to be dropping each time I go there. I eat there 4 or 5 times a year (pretty much any time we go to Billy Bob's) and every time leave less and less satisfied.

I haven't been to the Kings Inn since 1995 but I still remember how great their seafood was there.

c-town_balla
04-11-2007, 01:59 PM
i havent eaten at Kings inn since i was little but i remeber the frog legs......so good

big daddy russ
04-11-2007, 02:01 PM
King's Inn is still running and still serves great seafood. So is Gaido's. I've been to both within the last year.

I know Mi Tierra is still there too, but I haven't eaten there in a while.

Johnny Utah
04-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Underwoods rolls are the bomb!!!

Txbroadcaster
04-11-2007, 02:11 PM
BuffyMars would say it would be Gonzalos Mexican Resturant in Longview,Texas. She LOVES that place

DU_stud04
04-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
#6 Joe T's is way overrated. i agree, i didnt care for it at all.... alamo cafe on the other hand enjoyed alot, cool place

pirate4state
04-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
The ones in Austin are very much alive and cooking! ;)

We ate there after the baseball team won it's second state championship. :D

Old Tiger
04-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Pancho and Lefty's is a good place to eat in the big town of Hare, Texas.

pirate44
04-11-2007, 03:03 PM
you were there then too? the one on the riverwalk is great too. in fact, ive never been to a bad County Line

pirate4state
04-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
you were there then too? the one on the riverwalk is great too. in fact, ive never been to a bad County Line ummmmmmmmmm, yeah .... i guess that means YOU were there? :thinking:

Reds fan
04-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
i havent eaten at Kings inn since i was little but i remeber the frog legs......so good

mmmmmmmmmmmmm Frog legs, love 'em

GreenGobbla
04-12-2007, 02:05 AM
Juan in a Million has the best breakfast i've ever eatin'

Matthew328
04-12-2007, 07:02 AM
Joe T's has fallen off.....its a tourist trap much like Mi Tierra in San Antonio.....

Hannibal
04-12-2007, 09:14 AM

Yes we did. And we ate ALOT.

District303aPastPlayer
04-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Joe T's has fallen off.....its a tourist trap much like Mi Tierra in San Antonio.....

the other 2 of the 3 are good to eat at...

Pico de Gallo and something else... i forgot what its called... the 3rd one always gets me... tehy are all owned by the same people i believe...