PDA

View Full Version : For Phil C...women's hoop news

Maroon87
04-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Report: Chancellor taking job at LSU
Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Former Houston Comets coach Van Chancellor will be named the new head coach for LSU women's basketball, replacing Pokey Chatman, who resigned last month.

A top athletic official at LSU told The Associated Press that Van Chancellor's appointment would be announced at a 4 p.m. ET news conference at LSU.

Chancellor was the women's coach at Mississippi from 1978-97 before leading the WNBA Houston Comets to four straight championships from 1997 through the 2000 season. He also coached the 2004 U.S. gold medal team and has a 38-0 record in international competition.

Chatman resigned March 7 amid allegations of inappropriate conduct with a former LSU player when that player was a member of the women's basketball team.

Bob Starkey, LSU's acting head coach during the Lady Tigers' run to a fourth straight Women's Final Four, has said many times he does not want to be head coach full time.

Chancellor is expected to keep most of the current staff, which also includes Christie Sides and Joe Carvalhido. Sides played for Chancellor at Ole Miss from 1995-97 before transferring to Louisiana Tech when Chancellor left.

Chancellor led Ole Miss to a 439-154 record in 19 seasons from 1978-97. His career there included 14 NCAA tournament appearances -- including seven trips to regional semifinals and four appearances in the Elite Eight.

Chancellor's Lady Rebels also won the 1992 Southeastern Conference regular-season championship with an 11-0 record. That team proved to be his best, finishing 29-3 and reaching the Midwest Regional final.

Chancellor then joined the fledgling WNBA, where he coached the Houston Comets for 10 seasons. He led the team to the first four WNBA titles and compiled a 211-111 record in Houston before resigning in January.

In 2004, Chancellor coached the U.S. women's basketball team to a gold medal in the Athens Olympics. His international coaching record is 38-0.

On April 2, Chancellor was named to the 2007 induction class for the Naismith Hall of Fame.

A native of Louisville, Miss., Chancellor will be 64 before next season begins.

"I may be 63, but I have the heart of a 43-year-old and the energy of a 33-year-old," he has said.

Chancellor has served as a TV commentator for women's basketball games for several years. He called LSU games last month in the SEC tournament and the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament in Austin, Texas.

"I thought I could step back from coaching," Chancellor said, "but it's impossible. It's in my blood.

"I've played 27, 36 holes of golf a day. That's not my nature. I need something to do. I like a challenge. I'm not the kind of guy who can do nothing."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

bhtrainer
04-11-2007, 12:29 PM
van chancellors son is our high school girls coach... his dad is always around here poking his head in...lol they are both great people!

Phil C
04-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Good news for LSU. They got a good coach. While in the WNBA his teams won the first four championships. Amazing indeed!