PDA

View Full Version : Texans' biggest draft need?

big daddy russ
04-11-2007, 12:42 AM
What positions do the Houston Texans need to focus on going into the NFL Draft?

Offensive Tackle (Their QB's have been sacked more than their groceries)
Defensive Line (Where do I start? A bunch of 3-4 players in a 4-3 scheme. Williams has shown flashes, but can he be a consistent threat from the left side?)
Safety (Glenn Earl and CC Brown shouldn't even be in the Arena League, but here they are in the NFL. They're lucky the Texans have been tainting the quality of play in the NFL since 2002. Otherwise, they'd be stocking groceries at my local Wal-Mart.)
Corner (G-strings offer better coverage than DeMarcus Faggins)
OLB (Kailee Wong starts collecting a pension in a few months. I thought Shantee Orr would turn out to be a pretty good 4-3 'backer. Up 'til now, I've been wrong.)
Wideout (Who do we go to on third-and-short when they're double-covering Johnson?)
Running Back (Ahman Green's pension comes in a few days after Wong's.)

g$$
04-11-2007, 12:56 AM
All depends on the health of OT Charles Spencer, who has a bright future if his leg responds (knee I think or badly broken leg). They have upgraded the O-line in free agency (Black, maybe Cooper Carlisle, etc.).

I would love LaRon Landry, safety from LSU or a big wideout to complement AJ. Agreed current safeties, esp. Brown, are horrible. Maybe WR Dwayne Jarrett? Lots of holes on this team. D-line is looking better also thru free agency. FA Fletcher will start opposite Robinson at corner.

Probably LT unless Spencer is ok, then S & WR next. I trust Kubiak & Smith if given time.

Old Tiger
04-11-2007, 01:12 AM
Safety.

SintonFan
04-11-2007, 01:15 AM
They need a true dominant OL guy. Don't have one yet.
They have a decent defense so you have to work now to make a point or two. That Offense was offensive last year.:(
Now, let's talk about the 'Boys!:D

DDBooger
04-11-2007, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Safety. thats what i voted

big daddy russ
04-11-2007, 03:00 AM
For me, it was hard to say. I voted LT just because I'm a big believer in building from the inside out, but if LaRon Landry is still there at 10, I say take him and don't look back. The Texans' safety positions (well, the entire defensive backfield) may be the single, most undermanned unit in the league.

If neither Landry nor Adrian Peterson are still there, though, I say they need to trade down. Hell, I think they should trade down unless Joe Thomas miraculously falls to them, but that's just me.

Old Tiger
04-11-2007, 03:10 AM
I agree with you on Peterson and Landry BDR.

sectionCwannabe
04-11-2007, 03:19 AM
a new playbook lol.

g$$
04-11-2007, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
For me, it was hard to say. I voted LT just because I'm a big believer in building from the inside out, but if LaRon Landry is still there at 10, I say take him and don't look back. The Texans' safety positions (well, the entire defensive backfield) may be the single, most undermanned unit in the league.

If neither Landry nor Adrian Peterson are still there, though, I say they need to trade down. Hell, I think they should trade down unless Joe Thomas miraculously falls to them, but that's just me.

Good post. I agree a team should always be built inside-out, & that is where the Texans have failed miserably. Boselli could not play, bad drafts, etc. & what you have left is weak up front on both sides of the ball. They should have a foundation by now after year 5. Thanks Casserly!

I love Landry, Peterson will be gone, & Thomas will too. Not as high on OT Levi Brown as others. I would seriously consider trading down & getting another pick. I would target OL, S, WR, DL in that order early. If Landry is there, take him at #10. If not, trade down. Good FAs so far by the Texans IMO. They will be better I truly believe.

big daddy russ
04-11-2007, 10:53 AM
g$$, I didn't realize that Fletcher had been picked up. I liked him quite a bit when he was playing at Wisconsin.

And Casey, what would you do in the draft if you were Rick Smith?

Old Tiger
04-11-2007, 03:05 PM
If I were Rick Smith sitting at the 10th pick I would take LaRon Landry(if he is on the board). He is a freak of nature and draws similar comparisons to Brian Dawkins of the Eagles with his knowledge of football and field leadership. There are very few negatives about him except that he could use additional bulk because he gets stonewalled trying to split double teams and he has natural hands for the ball but will try to attack the ball too much.

If Landry and Peterson are both gone you can pick up a solid base in the middle of that defensive line with a pick like Omobi Okoye who is an absolute freak full of potential because as you all know he is only 19 years old!

I highly doubt that Peterson will be on the board at the 10th pick so that is out of the question. You can pick up a good runningback in the 2cd or 3rd round. Kenny Irons or Antonio Pittman could be there in those 2cd or 3rd rounds. They could also look at Michael Bush out of Louisville as a second day pick at runningback and he provides the power and speed that is needed. But he is a lot like Willis McGahee coming out with leg injuries and you never know what you are going to get.

If you want the Reggie Bush type player that you should have drafted last year then you could look at Lorenzo Booker out of Florida State in the 2cd or 3rd round. In the NFL draft your team is built in the later rounds 3-7th round picks that are lineman and other positions that needs.

g$$
04-11-2007, 05:38 PM
If I were Rick Smith sitting at the 10th pick I would take LaRon Landry(if he is on the board). He is a freak of nature and draws similar comparisons to Brian Dawkins of the Eagles with his knowledge of football and field leadership. There are very few negatives about him except that he could use additional bulk because he gets stonewalled trying to split double teams and he has natural hands for the ball but will try to attack the ball too much.

If Landry and Peterson are both gone you can pick up a solid base in the middle of that defensive line with a pick like Omobi Okoye who is an absolute freak full of potential because as you all know he is only 19 years old!

I highly doubt that Peterson will be on the board at the 10th pick so that is out of the question. You can pick up a good runningback in the 2cd or 3rd round. Kenny Irons or Antonio Pittman could be there in those 2cd or 3rd rounds. They could also look at Michael Bush out of Louisville as a second day pick at runningback and he provides the power and speed that is needed. But he is a lot like Willis McGahee coming out with leg injuries and you never know what you are going to get.

If you want the Reggie Bush type player that you should have drafted last year then you could look at Lorenzo Booker out of Florida State in the 2cd or 3rd round. In the NFL draft your team is built in the later rounds 3-7th round picks that are lineman and other positions that needs.

This is actually the best post in your history. I must say I am impressed. But, Landry is a freak physically if you saw him at the combine. I would take him at #10 if he is there too. And you are right, rounds 3-7 is where you form the core of your team for sure. Esp. rounds 3-5 on average.

Now that they have signed Ahman Green & resigned Ron Dayne, I don't see them taking a RB early. Peterson will be gone although he has said he wants to play in Houston. I would target OL, S, WR, & DL early. Good job.

Old Tiger
04-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by g$$
This is actually the best post in your history. I must say I am impressed. But, Landry is a freak physically if you saw him at the combine. I would take him at #10 if he is there too.

Now that they have signed Ahman Green & resigned Ron Dayne, I don't see them taking a RB early. Peterson will be gone although he has said he wants to play in Houston. I would target OL, S, WR, & DL early. Good job. Trust me I research the draft and get all the info I can. I am a self proclaimed draft expert as all the others are. :)

g$$
04-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Trust me I research the draft and get all the info I can. I am a self proclaimed draft expert as all the others are. :)

See, when you are not blinded by burnt orange you can be objective! Let's see that more often...

Old Tiger
04-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by g$$
See, when you are not blinded by burnt orange you can be objective! Let's see that more often... Then everything would be dull and boring :)

g$$
04-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Then everything would be dull and boring :)

& more rational & objective!

whtfbplaya
04-11-2007, 10:58 PM
A Qb it is tough to win when you are trading backups with someone.

JR2004
04-11-2007, 11:00 PM
What positions do the Houston Texans need to focus on going into the NFL Draft?

Offensive Tackle (Their QB's have been sacked more than their groceries)
Defensive Line (Where do I start? A bunch of 3-4 players in a 4-3 scheme. Williams has shown flashes, but can he be a consistent threat from the left side?)
Safety (Glenn Earl and CC Brown shouldn't even be in the Arena League, but here they are in the NFL. They're lucky the Texans have been tainting the quality of play in the NFL since 2002. Otherwise, they'd be stocking groceries at my local Wal-Mart.)
Corner (G-strings offer better coverage than DeMarcus Faggins)
OLB (Kailee Wong starts collecting a pension in a few months. I thought Shantee Orr would turn out to be a pretty good 4-3 'backer. Up 'til now, I've been wrong.)
Wideout (Who do we go to on third-and-short when they're double-covering Johnson?)
Running Back (Ahman Green's pension comes in a few days after Wong's.)

Their biggest need? Smarter people running the show down there. Man they're atrocious. I wanted to pull for them some, but they made it difficult for me the moment they drafted Mario Williams.

big daddy russ
04-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Their biggest need? Smarter people running the show down there. Man they're atrocious. I wanted to pull for them some, but they made it difficult for me the moment they drafted Mario Williams.
Looking back on it, I think you're right. And not just because they could've had Reggie or Vince, but because they could've traded down, added a couple of high picks, and still got that franchise LT they've been needing so badly. Hell, I was screaming D'Brick and my boy Marcus McNeill as loud as possible leading into the draft. Both wound up being great contributors to the teams they wound up with and both would've been quick enough to play in Kubiak's blocking schemes.

Maybe the Smith/Kubiak era proves to be more competent than the Casserly/Capers era. Early returns don't look so good-- I think they overpaid big-time for Schaub and thought they should've got something... a sixth-rounder or better... for David Carr-- but I'll give them a year or two before passing judgment.

injuredinmelee
04-12-2007, 01:18 AM
Looking back on it, I think you're right. And not just because they could've had Reggie or Vince, but because they could've traded down, added a couple of high picks, and still got that franchise LT they've been needing so badly. Hell, I was screaming D'Brick and my boy Marcus McNeill as loud as possible leading into the draft. Both wound up being great contributors to the teams they wound up with and both would've been quick enough to play in Kubiak's blocking schemes.

Maybe the Smith/Kubiak era proves to be more competent than the Casserly/Capers era. Early returns don't look so good-- I think they overpaid big-time for Schaub and thought they should've got something... a sixth-rounder or better... for David Carr-- but I'll give them a year or two before passing judgment.

Could of had Reggie McNeal??? your not serious are you? Not with their top pick right? You meant like round 4 or 5 right?

g$$
04-12-2007, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Could of had Reggie McNeal??? your not serious are you? Not with their top pick right? You meant like round 4 or 5 right?

Russ was implying Reggie Bush. No one had McNeal that high of course!

injuredinmelee
04-12-2007, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Russ was implying Reggie Bush. No one had McNeal that high of course!
sorry that was my own brain fart happening there.

big daddy russ
04-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
sorry that was my own brain fart happening there.
Haha.

themsu97
04-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Texans need help, plain and simple... no one person is or was the answer....
a lot of former players say that the drafting of Williams was the better move if you want to improve the franchise in the long run... which is what they needed... I wanted Fergeson, but the Texans biggest need then was defense... they got absolutely no pass rush, they were a ton better defensively last year, Williams being part of that reason...
Landry would be a great pick but rumor has it that Broncos are wanting to move up and they are targeting the Texans 10th pick... to get an additional pick this would be a great move