PDA

View Full Version : Gillispie gets commitment from McKinney standout

kepdawg
04-10-2007, 06:19 PM
McKinney sophomore commits to Kentucky

06:13 PM CDT on Tuesday, April 10, 2007

By DAMON L. SAYLES / The Dallas Morning News
dsayles@dallasnews.com

McKinney basketball standout G.J. Vilarino, only a sophomore, has orally committed to play for Kentucky and new head coach Billy Gillispie.

Vilarino, a 6-0 point guard, averaged 20.5 points, 4.5 assists and 2.7 rebounds last season. He chose Kentucky over Florida, Baylor, Purdue, Kansas and Illinois. Oral commitments are nonbinding, and Vilarino will not be able to sign a national letter of intent until the fall of 2008.

Vilarino said Gillispie, the former Texas A&M coach, was a big factor in his decision.

"He followed me when he was at A&M, and he's always shown interest in me," Vilarino said. "When he went to Kentucky, that just made it even better. Kentucky is one of the top programs in the nation."

eagles_victory
04-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
McKinney sophomore commits to Kentucky

06:13 PM CDT on Tuesday, April 10, 2007

By DAMON L. SAYLES / The Dallas Morning News
dsayles@dallasnews.com

McKinney basketball standout G.J. Vilarino, only a sophomore, has orally committed to play for Kentucky and new head coach Billy Gillispie.

Vilarino, a 6-0 point guard, averaged 20.5 points, 4.5 assists and 2.7 rebounds last season. He chose Kentucky over Florida, Baylor, Purdue, Kansas and Illinois. Oral commitments are nonbinding, and Vilarino will not be able to sign a national letter of intent until the fall of 2008.

Vilarino said Gillispie, the former Texas A&M coach, was a big factor in his decision.

"He followed me when he was at A&M, and he's always shown interest in me," Vilarino said. "When he went to Kentucky, that just made it even better. Kentucky is one of the top programs in the nation." this is a pretty early committment i wouldnt be suprised to see him wavier a little bit or even decommitt and go somewhere else just becuase he signed so early.

But the bigger picture is will Gillispie be able to still recruit Texas strong from Kentucky that could be fairly intresting to see.

kepdawg
04-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
this is a pretty early committment i wouldnt be suprised to see him wavier a little bit or even decommitt and go somewhere else just becuase he signed so early.

But the bigger picture is will Gillispie be able to still recruit Texas strong from Kentucky that could be fairly intresting to see.

He was able to recruit Texas strong from Illinois, so I don't see why he'd have much trouble in Kentucky.

maestro
04-10-2007, 09:19 PM
can anyone say nic wise????

kepdawg
04-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by maestro
can anyone say nic wise????

That's exactly who I thought of when I read this. Wise didn't have a good freshman season.

maestro
04-10-2007, 09:46 PM
heck, he was invisiable, wasn't he??

i could not find him and arizona was on t.v. every sunday night.

now, arizona has this hot shot guard coming in from phoenix......

wise best look out...

kepdawg
04-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by maestro
heck, he was invisiable, wasn't he??

i could not find him and arizona was on t.v. every sunday night.

now, arizona has this hot shot guard coming in from phoenix......

wise best look out...

I think he only played a handful of minutes a game. He was still highly rated coming out of high school, so I'm not sure what happened.

mwynn05
04-10-2007, 11:23 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Wise transfer to UNT or somewhere we always get good transfers....Keith Wooden from Arizona State, Kendrick Davis from Arkansas, Collin Dennis from South Fla. I hear some other good such as Marquez Haynes from BC might be transferring here

g$$
04-11-2007, 12:49 AM
BCG has been recruiting Texas well for Tulsa, Illinois, & A&M (plus he coached hs ball here & asst. @ Texas State & Baylor). He has lots of ties here obviously.

Nic Wise had academic problems & barely played (fellow Texan McClellan has too) for Arizona. Be interesting to see if he stays in the desert.