PDA

View Full Version : Astros Improve to 3-5 with 4-2 win over Chi Cubs

Reds fan
04-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Wheeler was shaky giving up 2 in the ninth but Astros hang on.

Adidas410s
04-10-2007, 04:24 PM
haha...I was writing the exact same thing...Wheeler was shaky and all! ;)

Reds fan
04-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Sorry about that and I'm a slow typist!

g$$
04-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Shaky but a win. Wheeler was off today with his command. Sampson pitched great & the bats are coming to life. Astros will be ok & stay in the race as they continue to find the right fit on the roster.

Bull19
04-10-2007, 04:36 PM
SAMPSON PITCHED A HELLACIOUS OF A GAME. ALTHOUGH HE ONLY THREW FIVE INNINGS HE WAS VERY SOLID.....QUALLS LOOKED GOOD AND WHEELER WAS GOOD ENOUGH....HOPEFULLY THEY CAN GET THE WIN TOMM FOR THE SWEEP AND GIVE THEM A LITTLE CONFIDENCE BOOST GOING INTO THEIR NEXT GAME ON FRIDAY

g$$
04-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
SAMPSON PITCHED A HELLACIOUS OF A GAME. ALTHOUGH HE ONLY THREW FIVE INNINGS HE WAS VERY SOLID.....QUALLS LOOKED GOOD AND WHEELER WAS GOOD ENOUGH....HOPEFULLY THEY CAN GET THE WIN TOMM FOR THE SWEEP AND GIVE THEM A LITTLE CONFIDENCE BOOST GOING INTO THEIR NEXT GAME ON FRIDAY

Just heard Garner say Sampson tweaked a calf & thus the move to pull him after 5 innings. I still want Nieve in place of Wandy though. Rotation may take shape as we go...

carter08
04-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Hunter Pence needs to be brought up from Round Rock

Bull19
04-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Hunter Pence needs to be brought up from Round Rock

WHERE EXACTLY WOULD YOU PUT HIM? ONLY THREE SPOTS IN THE OUTFIELD

carter08
04-10-2007, 04:50 PM

Centerfield

Pence > Burke

g$$
04-10-2007, 04:52 PM

You're right - no room in OF as of now. But, if the kid is special you do what you have to do, & he is special & about to turn 24 (look at Jose Reyes & David Wright's age). What would I do? Package Burke & Lidge for a proven arm, promote Pence to play CF, & run with it. Then your OF is Lee, Pence, & Scott. Have no use for Lane either. But that's a start.

Bull19
04-10-2007, 04:53 PM
NOT ENOUGH ROSTER SPACE,,,BURKE HAS TO STAY ON TO BE A BACK UP TO BIGG AT SECOND SINCE HE WILL EVENTUALLY PLAY THERE,,,,,,,ANYWAY ITS ONLY THE SECOND WEEK OF THE SEASON,,,,,,BURKE IS WAY DOWN ON THE LIST OF BEING BENCHED FOR A MINOR LEAGUER WHEN U HAVE ALL THE LIDGE TROUBLE RIGHT NOW TO WORRY ABOUT, AND BURKE IS ONLY PLAYING HIS FIRST FULL SEASON AT CENTER,,HE MUST GET GAMES IN UNDER HIS BELT TO GET USED TO THE POSITION. IT DOESNT COME AUTOMATICALLY

Bull19
04-10-2007, 04:55 PM
BURKE HAS TO STAY ON TO BE A BACK UP TO BIGG AT SECOND SINCE HE WILL EVENTUALLY PLAY THERE

THAT IS THE ONLY REASON HE IS AROUND

Bull19
04-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by g$$
You're right - no room in OF as of now. But, if the kid is special you do what you have to do, & he is special & about to turn 24 (look at Jose Reyes & David Wright's age). What would I do? Package Burke & Lidge for a proven arm, promote Pence to play CF, & run with it. Then your OF is Lee, Pence, & Scott. Have no use for Lane either. But that's a start.

WHAT HAPPENS THEN IS PENCE IS A BUST???? ID RATHER HAVE BURKE STARTING IN FRONT OF LANE,,,,BURKE IS MORE OF AN ATHLETE WITH MORE SPEED WHO CAN GET ON BASE ALOT EASIER THAN LANE CAN

g$$
04-10-2007, 05:09 PM
WHAT HAPPENS THEN IS PENCE IS A BUST???? ID RATHER HAVE BURKE STARTING IN FRONT OF LANE,,,,BURKE IS MORE OF AN ATHLETE WITH MORE SPEED WHO CAN GET ON BASE ALOT EASIER THAN LANE CAN

Lane is not even on my radar. If you don't take risks then you have not tried to get better. Burke is the 2B of the future, but Brooks Conrad is also a fine 2B at AAA. I like him a lot. Plus you could resign Loretta for another year. Burke is doing his best in CF but will never be a MLB CF. Yes, he is an athlete but that is a tough conversion for anyone. His angles & routes to balls leave a lot to be desired, as do his jumps. He is an INF, period. If you can upgrade by packaging Lidge & Burke, then I say do it.

Pence can play. Give him a shot. The kid has mastered every level so far even with an unorthodox approach & throwing motion. He just gets it done & plays hard, has power & can run. Let's roll the dice & improve for years to come. Astros are very slow to promote & take chances. Berkman was 23 to stay in the Big Leagues.

Bull19
04-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Lane is not even on my radar. If you don't take risks then you have not tried to get better. Burke is the 2B of the future, but Brooks Conrad is also a fine 2B at AAA. I like him a lot. Plus you could resign Loretta for another year. Burke is doing his best in CF but will never be a MLB CF. Yes, he is an athlete but that is a tough conversion for anyone. His angles & routes to balls leave a lot to be desired, as do his jumps. He is an INF, period. If you can upgrade by packaging Lidge & Burke, then I say do it.

Pence can play. Give him a shot. The kid has mastered every level so far even with an unorthodox approach & throwing motion. He just gets it done & plays hard, has power & can run. Let's roll the dice & improve for years to come. Astros are very slow to promote & take chances. Berkman was 23 to stay in the Big Leagues.

YES, BUT IF U GET RID OF BURKE AND PENCE IS CALLED UP AND IS A MAJOR BUST WHAT DO U DO THEN WITH THE OUTFIELD? U CANT HAVE LANE, LEE, AND SCOTT IN THE OUTFIELD....WAY TO SLOW IN THE OUTFIELD.

BURKE WILL GET BETTER OUT IN CF AS THE SEASON PROGRESS,,,,TAKING BETTER ANGLES AND GOOD FIRST STEPS ON THE BALLS WILL COME ONCE HE GETS MORE TIME OUT IN CF.

g$$
04-10-2007, 05:41 PM
YES, BUT IF U GET RID OF BURKE AND PENCE IS CALLED UP AND IS A MAJOR BUST WHAT DO U DO THEN WITH THE OUTFIELD? U CANT HAVE LANE, LEE, AND SCOTT IN THE OUTFIELD....WAY TO SLOW IN THE OUTFIELD.

BURKE WILL GET BETTER OUT IN CF AS THE SEASON PROGRESS,,,,TAKING BETTER ANGLES AND GOOD FIRST STEPS ON THE BALLS WILL COME ONCE HE GETS MORE TIME OUT IN CF.

NO offense & obviously you know ball, but you sound like Astros GM Tim Purpura. You have to take chances & quit sticking with good guys who will never get you over the hump. I worked for the Astros & Purpura was my mentor there in Player Development, along with Fred Nelson. Nice guy, very smart, & also very paranoid & scared to death of Drayton McLane. It is time to roll the dice & quit worrying about what ifs. Pence can play buddy & it is time to give him a shot to energize this team & be a mainstay for years to come. Burke will never be a quality MLB CF. He is a MLB 2B though, & if you package him w/ Lidge someone will take a chance that they can "fix" Lidge. He has great ability but needs a change of scenery.

Burke is in his 1st full year as an everyday player, but he is not a can't miss guy (former 1st round pick). He is a good player, but not a star as Pence (former 2nd round pick) just may become. Compare their minor league #s (fwiw). If you can make the team better, do it. Have to take risks sometimes to get better.

necks_c/09
04-10-2007, 05:58 PM
i completely agree about pence.....great prospect......

package lidge and burke.....sounds good to me

+++++ we need another arm in the rotation......

burkes play has been less than desirable in cf......

and im not so sure that we dont need a new closer....

wheeler isnt exactly mr. automatic.......he struggles w/ the long ball and isnt clutch either......i see blown saves in his future as well.....

the batting is coming together and i feel the playoffs this year.....

would help though if clemens came back though.....lord knows we could use another ace

thats it for me