PDA

View Full Version : Donna Capps leaves UTA

kepdawg
04-10-2007, 12:54 AM
UTA women's coach leaves for Mesquite ISD

11:50 PM CDT on Monday, April 9, 2007

By CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News
ccarlton@dallasnews.com

Donna Capps always thought she would retire as a basketball coach.

Her career took a different turn Monday. She resigned as women's basketball coach at UT-Arlington to become the assistant athletic director for operations in the Mesquite ISD.

Capps, who compiled a 119-89 record in seven years, had taken UTA to the NCAA Tournament two of the past three seasons. The Mavericks went 24-9 this season and put together a 19-game winning streak before losing to Texas A&M in the first round of the NCAAs.

The season also featured the suspension and eventual reassignment of Ron Powell, Capps' mentor and longtime assistant, by the administration.

During the season, Capps said, the suspension impacted her workload and her health.

"I had done as much as I could probably do at UTA," Capps said Monday evening. "Of course, I felt badly with all that transpired. Of course, that influenced me. I don't know how much."

But Capps said she felt the assistant AD job was a "great position" and she was looking forward to mentoring other coaches.

She made her decision after separate meetings with athletic director Pete Carlon and school president James D. Spaniolo.

"I've never felt forced or pressured," Capps said. "President Spaniolo has been a tremendous supporter. I worked so hard with coach Powell in building the program. That was stressful figuring out to replace him in the whole equation."

Capps said she was told that Powell could not return as an assistant.

"She was disappointed over Ron Powell's situation," Carlon said. "We reviewed the season and told her to let us know her needs, wants and concerns. When all was said and done, I think it depended on whether she wanted to continue coaching or take on this opportunity."

Capps notified her players of her decision Monday morning.

"That was difficult," she said. "They underwent all the stress I felt this season. We shared the burden."

Carlon said he already had a short list of possible replacements. He expected to start seeking permission to contact candidates as soon as today and said he hoped to have a coach named by early May.

While UTA loses three senior starters, including all-time scoring leader Tara Wallace, Capps had signed five recruits and called it her best class.

Capps won 510 games as a high school coach at North Mesquite, Mabank and Crandall before coming to UTA in 2000.

g$$
04-10-2007, 01:58 AM
What did Ron Powell do to get suspended & then reassigned? Sorry if I am late on this.

kaorder1999
04-10-2007, 08:07 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: