PDA

View Full Version : Best Chicken Fried Steak

big daddy russ
04-09-2007, 11:47 PM
I found a new place earlier today that has an awesome CFS, the Hot Rod Cafe back in Ingleside. Best one I've had in a long while.

I tried to resurrect this (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31586&highlight=chicken+fried+steak) thread, but its' locked down. No problem, we'll just start a new one.

Where's your favorite CFS? Also, do you prefer your CFS battered or breaded, and with what toppings (gravy, chili, ketchup, etc)?

g$$
04-09-2007, 11:55 PM
CFS:

Breaded
Cream gravy w/ a touch of Heinz 57 sauce
Big & juicy

Lots of places, usually small Mom & Pop's are the best. Cheddar's, although a chain, makes a really good one w/ 2 sides & bread for less than $7. Now I am hungry!

Old Tiger
04-09-2007, 11:58 PM
290 Cafe in Manor has a good one.

Ray_BearKat
04-10-2007, 12:22 AM
Lone Star in Harlingen

coach
04-10-2007, 12:29 AM
my moms..i know yall want a restaraunt but i only like my moms..its the best...actuallt its the only thing she can cook

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-10-2007, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by coach
my moms..i know yall want a restaraunt but i only like my moms..its the best...actuallt its the only thing she can cook

I don't know, she makes some pretty good scrambled eggs and bacon. It sure does hit the spot after a long night. ;)

coach
04-10-2007, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I don't know, she makes some pretty good scrambled eggs and bacon. It sure does hit the spot after a long night. ;)

ha good one gary...where did u get that one from

HM33
04-10-2007, 07:37 AM
K&G's Steak House in Seguin is pretty good. There is also one in San Antonio that has the biggest and one of the best I have ever had. The steak was bigger than the plate and it was so big it curled up on the edges and was used like a bowl for the gravy. Don't remember the name of the place but it was great.

CHS_CG
04-10-2007, 07:44 AM
Sinton66 will agree just about anything you get from the Country Inn in Somerville is great but their CFS is HUGE.. a small takes up the entire plate and the plates are not small by any means.

Phil C
04-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I found a new place earlier today that has an awesome CFS, the Hot Rod Cafe back in Ingleside. Best one I've had in a long while.

I tried to resurrect this (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31586&highlight=chicken+fried+steak) thread, but its' locked down. No problem, we'll just start a new one.

Where's your favorite CFS? Also, do you prefer your CFS battered or breaded, and with what toppings (gravy, chili, ketchup, etc)?

Hey big where is it located? I may check it out when I am over there some time. Freddie's in Sinton also makes good CFS.

Ranger Mom
04-10-2007, 08:26 AM
I remember a magazine we get in at the office featured some restuarant in Liberty Hill with huge CFS.

I didn't look at the locked down thread, it may be on it.

Never mind, I went back and found it:

Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Hobo Depot in Liberty Hill. It was featured in Texas Coop Power magazine last fall. :)

kaorder1999
04-10-2007, 08:27 AM
there is a place in the Ferris area in Rocket that has some GOOD Chicken Fried Steak!

tortilla_man
04-10-2007, 08:29 AM
I second that one on the Country Inn in Somerville.

piratebg
04-10-2007, 08:45 AM
I don't know about the best but I've had some good ones at Freddie's in Sinton and at K-Bobs.

Maroon87
04-10-2007, 09:00 AM
It's not open anymore, but the Hungry Farmer in Orange Grove used to have a great CFS.

Johnny Utah
04-10-2007, 09:14 AM
Mary's in Strawn Texas, hands down!!! No comparison. Bigger and Better than Country Inn in Somerville and Brenham!!!

gap8d
04-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Have to agree with Mary's. Once worked with a coach who could put one of those large CFS away in just a little over 4 minutes. Of course, we did time him to make it official!! He's somewhere around WF nowdays.

Gap

DU_stud04
04-10-2007, 09:22 AM
i forgot where it was, but this place when you finished your chicken fried steak, they brought you out another one, just simple as that.... and they also throw rolls at you if you stick your hand up.:D

pirate4state
04-10-2007, 09:28 AM
I haven't had a really good CFS in a looooooooooong time. I may have to go check out this place in Ingleside.

gap8d
04-10-2007, 09:28 AM
You need to remember where that place is. . .wouldn't mind trying that out.

Gap

Johnny Utah
04-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Smokestack Rest. in Thurber Texas has a great one as well. Both very close to one another.

Phantom Stang
04-10-2007, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Mary's in Strawn Texas, hands down!!!
Mary's cream gravy is a gourmet delicacy. :nerd:

Johnny Utah
04-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Do not forget the homemade cut fries and BIG O's!!!

big daddy russ
04-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Hey big where is it located? I may check it out when I am over there some time. Freddie's in Sinton also makes good CFS.
Phil, it's on Hwy 1069 right across the street from Tiner Lane. Coming into town from Sinton on Hwy 361, take a left at the first stoplight (at the HEB and Dairy Queen). That'll put you on 1069. The Hot Rod Cafe is maybe half a mile down on your left. It's the last little "house" before the Primera Iglesia Bautista.

And I've tried the CFS at the Country Inn, didn't really like it too much. But that also has a lot to do with the fact that it's breaded. Three best places I've ever eaten at, in order:

1. Floyd's Ranch House- Ingleside, TX (also used to have some of the best pies around, but the old owner and his wife, who used to bake the pies, died a few years back and I haven't been back since they changed ownership... Was rated the best CFS in Texas by the Houston Chronicle back in the late-80's... Back then, they owned three Floyd's, but sold the one in Flour Bluff and ... The one in FB was riding on the original's coattails after it was sold, claiming it had the "Best CFS in Texas," but the original articles are still hanging up at the original Floyd's in Ingleside, where the CFS was still made the same way as it was when the reporters came...)

2. Brush Country Inn- Riviera, TX (has since closed down, but they used to have a CFS called a Brush Country Saddle Blanket that was about a foot and a half long and fell off both ends of those long, oval plates... I've only known one guy who could finish off the whole thing with sides in one sitting)

3. Hot Rod Cafe- Ingleside, TX (Not very far behind the other two, the only thing that's lacking is that it's not quite as tender as the other two... Great CFS, though... Has the same taste as the other two)

After these three, it doesn't even matter. Nothing else has even come close to stacking up to these, but I still need to try Lulu's in SA and Mary's in Strawn.

big daddy russ
04-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I haven't had a really good CFS in a looooooooooong time. I may have to go check out this place in Ingleside.
Forgot to tell you, remember that it's battered and not breaded. If you're more of a fan of the breaded kind that they serve at places like the Country Inn, you may not like this one.

Personally, if I'm going to have that pan fried taste, I prefer to go all-out and eat milanesa. But again, that's just my personal preference.

smustangs
04-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Smokestack Rest. in Thurber Texas has a great one as well. Both very close to one another.

i second it, they are very good and a glass of sweet tea to boot mmmmmm it just dont get any better

SWMustang
04-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Goodson's Cafe in Tomball Texas

Blastoderm55
04-10-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
but I still need to try Lulu's in SA

That the one with the cheesy gravy? My fiancee raves about that place yet has never taken me. :mad:

Fotbol
04-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Dairy Qyeen makes a good one!

Old Tiger
04-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol
Dairy Qyeen makes a good one! Are you talking about The Dude?

Bull19
04-10-2007, 04:46 PM
TEXAS STAR.....NEW ULM

ORSAK'S IN FAYETVILLE AINT BAD EITHER

RMAC
04-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Wildcatter Ranch, just south of Graham on 16 has a really good CFS, in my opinion. The small takes up an entire plate, and I've never been hungry enough to try the large.

SintonFan_inAustin
04-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Chentes in Alice has one of the better CFS i have tried, but the best one i have to say La Iguana on King Street in Kingsville. I will try the one in OG an Ingleside when i get a chance to be in those areas during work.

Old Green
04-10-2007, 05:19 PM
OST Restaurant in Bandera has one called the Duke. Covers the whole platter.:thumbsup:

SintonFan_inAustin
04-10-2007, 05:25 PM
Black Eye Pea had or still has one that covers the whole plate and they use to run a commerical where ex cowboy D. Johnston couldnt finish the CFS. it wasnt that great but it was big.

Blastoderm55
04-10-2007, 05:31 PM
The "Saddle Blanket" at Shorty's here in Beeville is pretty big. Basically a double portion of their normal CFS which is already pretty good-sized.

BreckTxLonghorn
04-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Threadgill's in Austin--Dang good food.

Angeleyes
04-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Mary's in Strawn Texas, hands down!!! No comparison. Bigger and Better than Country Inn in Somerville and Brenham!!!

I have to agree....
I was introduced to Mary's this year and I have to say other than my mother's chicken fried steak it's the BEST!!! Was just there a few weeks ago....yummy:D

injuredinmelee
04-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Copper Creek Restaurant in Abilene has a chicken fried rib eye that is out of this world.

Antec
04-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Tony's in Sealy
real chicken fried steak

crust stays on and its thick

luvhoops34
04-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
It's not open anymore, but the Hungry Farmer in Orange Grove used to have a great CFS.

That figures.....only place open in the evenings now is Taco Diahrera.:(

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by coach
ha good one gary...where did u get that one from

:D

bobcat1
04-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Right here at home with my feet under my wife's dinner table. None better anywhere I guarantee!:D

crabman
04-10-2007, 09:59 PM
The Country Store Restaurant on 35 in Cotulla had the best the last time I was there. It was sleeting and it was the first week in February of 1988 when unbweavable was one year old. I missed his first birthday to go hunting. (this is the part where you shed a tear.)

Anyway, terrific at the time. The best right now is the Longhorn in Cuero.

Fal44
04-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Umm Best one I had was after a basketball game in Zapata... Some mexican place I can remember and cant spell but If I heard it I would remember...

Fal44
04-10-2007, 11:05 PM
Oh yeah and also my dad makes a really good one but with deer meat so dont know if thats a chicken fried steak or not but its freakin outrageous good...

SintonFan
04-11-2007, 01:42 AM
LuLu's Jailhouse Cafe(or just LuLu's Cafe north of downtown) in SA makes a mighty big and mean chicken fried steak with all the fixins. For $8.99 you get one covering a decent-sized platter the way you like it with different ways for your palette. You can get a spicy queso, gravy or whatever. A couple of dollars more and you can feed a family of 4 with it.:cool:
It's been voted among the best of SA for some time now(top 5 in town for some time). How long, I don't know but it's longer than my sorry arse has been there.
My wife tells me that Grady's makes a decent chopped steak in town, too.:)
I like Grady's too because of their all-you-can-eat ribs Saturday night for 10 bucks.:D

tortilla_man
04-11-2007, 01:52 AM
yep, Goodsons in tomball has good CFS, so does the place in sealy and new ulm, have had all of them.