PDA

View Full Version : Irvin in the news again

kepdawg
04-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Michael Irvin accused of assaulting contractor

11:13 PM CDT on Monday, April 9, 2007

WFAA-TV

Former Dallas Cowboy Michael Irvin is facing accusations he assaulted a disabled contractor who was hired to install a fountain at his Plano home.

Shawn Vandergrift filed a lawsuit Monday against Mr. Irvin in Denton County, claiming that the former player yelled at him and grabbed him during a December dispute over a final payment for the construction work.

The suit claims that Mr. Vandergrift is permanently disabled by a hip condition and that he required medical attention as a result of being grabbed on the left arm during the confrontation.

Mr. Irvin could not be reached for comment Monday night.

WFAA-TV

JR2004
04-09-2007, 11:33 PM
That Dallas crack will make you do some mean things to the disabled.

bobcat1
04-10-2007, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
That Dallas crack will make you do some mean things to the disabled. LMAO :D

Gp83
04-10-2007, 07:15 AM
Going after the money? This is not the whole story I'm sure.

JasperDog94
04-10-2007, 07:20 AM
So let me get this straight. Irvin grabs this guy by the arm and it hurts his hip? :crazy1: :crazy1:

pirate4state
04-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
So let me get this straight. Irvin grabs this guy by the arm and it hurts his hip? :crazy1: :crazy1: Michael Irvin must be in really good shape to cause that kind of damage!! :eek: :eek:

BuffyMars
04-10-2007, 09:55 AM
So let me get this straight. Irvin grabs this guy by the arm and it hurts his hip? :crazy1: :crazy1:

BWAHHAHAHAHA!! :evillol:

Oh, Irvin. I still love you and those fat rings. :D

smustangs
04-10-2007, 11:04 AM
sounds like someone saw an opportunity to make a lot of money off irvin

kaorder1999
04-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Irvin is a loser...will always be a loser

Reds fan
04-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999

Three Super Bowl rings and NFL Hall of Famer=winner

kaorder1999
04-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Reds fan
Three Super Bowl rings and NFL Hall of Famer=winner

in sports but a loser in life! Depends on what you look at as being more important!

Reds fan
04-10-2007, 11:28 AM
in sports but a loser in life! Depends on what you look at as being more important!

Not the greatest human being, I concur... but the guy was a winner on the field.

kaorder1999
04-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Not the greatest human being, I concur... but the guy was a winner on the field.

OJ Simpson was a winner on the field too but hes a loser in my book!

Reds fan
04-10-2007, 11:37 AM
OJ Simpson was a winner on the field too but hes a loser in my book!

He's a murderer in my book!

kaorder1999
04-10-2007, 11:38 AM
He's a murderer in my book!

that too!!

Txbroadcaster
04-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Irvin has had his shares of ups and down off the field but I would not go as far as to call him a loser.

pirate4state
04-10-2007, 11:49 AM
everyone is entiltled to his/her opinion

i don't think he is a loser either, but i guess i can understand why some people would label him a loser. really though, none of us REALLY know him so who are we to judge?

what does it say about you if you judge someone a "loser" based only on past mistakes? i'm sure we've all done something in our past that we regret - are we forever to be labeled "losers"?

JR2004
04-10-2007, 01:14 PM

No I think what the article was trying to say is the guy has a permanent hip disability. They were just trying to explain why it is that he is disabled and not that Captain Crack hurt the man's hip. He injured his arm is what I got from reading about it.

crzyjournalist03
04-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Irvin's take on what's going on:

From Staff Reports

Former Dallas Cowboy Michael Irvin said Tuesday that he is frustrated by accusations he assaulted a disabled contractor who was hired to install a fountain at his Plano home, calling them "blackmail".

Michael Irvin Shawn Vandergrift filed a lawsuit Monday against Mr. Irvin in Denton County, claiming that the former player yelled at him and grabbed him during a December dispute over a final payment for the construction work.

The suit claims that Mr. Vandergrift is permanently disabled by a hip condition and that he required medical attention as a result of being grabbed on the left arm during the confrontation.

"I have not touched anyone," Mr. Irvin told The Dallas Morning News. "The lawsuit is the first I heard about aggravating an old injury."

After KTCK-AM (1310) hosts George Dunham and Craig Miller mentioned seeing a report about the incident on DallasNews.com Tuesday morning, Mr. Irvin called the station and appeared on air to refute the allegations.

"The only injury he has is an old injury he already had," Mr. Irvin said of Mr. Vandergrift.

Mr. Irvin accused the hosts of going with a story they had not verified.

"Don't you think you guys should have called and asked me about something before you went on the air (with it)? ... I still believe you should have made the effort of calling me," he said.

However, the former player told the News that he understands his prior actions may lead some people to question his side of the story.

"I truly understand this is a residual of my history," he said. "I can't do anything about it."

Macarthur
04-10-2007, 01:18 PM

He made some mistakes, but most believe he's gotten his life straightened out.

Don't be so self-righteous.

Bull's-eye
04-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Loser isn't the best word to describe Irvin. On the field, he was a winner and one of the most competitive players in the NFL. I do believe that he suffers from some type of mental problems or drug related issues.

In 1999, my friend was working the Cowboys training camp. His boss allowed me to come visit and help them out. I had just tore a bicep and was still wearing a sling. After one practice, I was told to tell Irvin to leave his gear outside. We were going to load all the gear on a truck and take them to the stadium for the blue-white scrimmage. Irvin seems a little mad and throws all of his stuff on me knowing that I only have use of one arm. At that moment, I lost all my respect for Irvin. Another day, we are all in the equipment room/gym and my friend starts laughing. He said don't look, but Irvin just walked in wearing only a walkman. :doh:

Hansum Stranger
04-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

"Don't you think you guys should have called and asked me about something before you went on the air (with it)? ... I still believe you should have made the effort of calling me," he said.

Typical of The Ticket.

JR2004
04-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Hansum Stranger
Typical of The Ticket.

I'm just surprised they actually found out about this story so soon. They're usually way behind sports-related news. Still wonder from time to time how that station advertises itself as a station that talks sports.

kepdawg
04-10-2007, 07:13 PM
I'm just surprised they actually found out about this story so soon. They're usually way behind sports-related news. Still wonder from time to time how that station advertises itself as a station that talks sports.

Hmm...I've never had a problem getting sports information in a timely manner while listening to The Ticket. Do they break every story first? No. Are they "way behind?" No.

JR2004
04-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Hmm...I've never had a problem getting sports information in a timely manner while listening to The Ticket. Do they break every story first? No. Are they "way behind?" No.

Way behind and outside of Norm and occasionally Bad Radio they do not talk sports, period. Heck all they do is pull stories from ESPN and pass them off as their "breaking sports news". That afternoon show they have is a joke. I could find some drunken bums that could do exactly what those guys do. It'll continue to succeed though in this market.

At least they did Hansen a favor and let him go so he could go somewhere that he could run his mouth without worrying about pissing off the wrong people.

kepdawg
04-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Way behind and outside of Norm and occasionally Bad Radio they do not talk sports, period. Heck all they do is pull stories from ESPN and pass them off as their "breaking sports news". That afternoon show they have is a joke. I could find some drunken bums that could do exactly what those guys do. It'll continue to succeed though in this market.

At least they did Hansen a favor and let him go so he could go somewhere that he could run his mouth without worrying about pissing off the wrong people.

It's all about preference. Me, I don't want straight sports all the time. I have no option but to listen to ESPN Radio while at work. I like it most of the time, but at times it drives me nuts. I can easily understand why some people don't like The Ticket, as there are plenty of things I don't like about The Ticket. A mixture of the two stations usually keeps me happy.

JR2004
04-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
It's all about preference. Me, I don't want straight sports all the time. I have no option but to listen to ESPN Radio while at work. I like it most of the time, but at times it drives me nuts. I can easily understand why some people don't like The Ticket, as there are plenty of things I don't like about The Ticket. A mixture of the two stations usually keeps me happy.

I really don't mind the Ticket that much. I can't stand The Hardline and their annoying 5 year old routine, but Norm and Bad Radio are tolerable. I'll listen to Galloway in the afternoon when I get the chance just because he makes fun of himself so often and because he gets good sports guests on the show. I enjoy the back and forth between him and Avery when he puts on the Coach Galloway hat.

Bob and Dan though had me dying laughing when they were making fun of The Corps. I think it was when horse manure was thrown on the UT band in 2005 was when they went off about them. Best as I remember the exchange went something like this...

Dan: A&M is the only school that has an active calvary.

Bob: Why do they need a calvary?

Dan: They keep it around for whenever they decide to invade Waco.

Emerson1
04-10-2007, 08:50 PM
I stick to ESPN, I am to lazy to switch to AM

kepdawg
04-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I stick to ESPN, I am to lazy to switch to AM

I just flip back and forth from 103.3 to 104.1.