PDA

View Full Version : Billie Gillispie had 2nd thoughts?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
04-09-2007, 01:38 PM
After Billie said to KU, he would take the job, he called Bill B, at ATM and wanted to know if he had 2nd thoughts he would come back if ATM would up the Money. Byrn told him to take a hike, that he and ATM would not get in another biding war for someone that would not commit to ATM. Billie also lied about not talking to other jobs he could get.Heard this on ESPN, sounded like he would stay for more money, but Byrne did not want to have this happen every year, so he told Billie G to Take a hike.
Anyone else hear this?

Gobbla2001
04-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Ask Funk-d-fied, he probably had Byrne and BG's phone tapped...

injuredinmelee
04-09-2007, 01:58 PM
if he hasnt been commited

worldbfree
04-09-2007, 02:01 PM
not true...........A&M could offer as much as they want..........they need 60 more years like this before they are anywhere near Kentucky

Old Tiger
04-09-2007, 02:25 PM
That is the last thing A&M wants to do is get in a bidding contest with Kentucky over a basketball coach.

mwynn05
04-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
That is the last thing A&M wants to do is get in a bidding contest with Kentucky over a basketball coach. Why is that? A&M has the money and if they lose they are right where they are right now....

Old Tiger
04-09-2007, 02:34 PM
I was speaking through a competing stand point. They cannot compete with the money Kentucky can dish out.

Funk-d-fied
04-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Ask him, Billy's cell # is 1-281-230-8004

Old Tiger
04-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Funk-d-fied
Ask him, Billy's cell # is 1-281-230-8004 lol

Macarthur
04-09-2007, 03:13 PM
I was speaking through a competing stand point. They cannot compete with the money Kentucky can dish out.

Are you sure about that?

Funk-d-fied
04-09-2007, 03:17 PM
TAMU could purchase UK's coach and campus....lol

mwynn05
04-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Are you sure about that? no he is just talking out of his a$$...A&M is like twice the size of Kentucky...I promise you they can offer just as much or more money than Kentucky in $ but not in tradition

CHS_CG
04-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Why would we want him back.. He cant make a commitment to us whats the use.. why are we goin to shell out tons of money to have him bail on us again. Its not worth it.

Adidas410s
04-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
Why would we want him back.. He cant make a commitment to us whats the use.. why are we goin to shell out tons of money to have him bail on us again. Its not worth it.

Remind me how many games A&M was winning in the Big 12 before he came? I seem to have forgotten...

Old Tiger
04-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Some of you are too much on morals when now days it's all about the $

Keith7
04-09-2007, 04:04 PM
sounds like a story aggie fans made up to make themselves feel better about the situation..

big daddy russ
04-09-2007, 04:22 PM
I like Gillispie and hope he does well at UK. Hell, I met him at Chicken E his first year here and he was a great guy as far as I know. My brother, girlfriend, and me recognized him and told him that he had done a great job with the team and he actually kept the conversation going. Didn't talk too long, but long enough to get a good impression of the guy.

I'll always think of Gillispie as the guy who "started" the A&M hoops program. Sure, there was something they called a basketball team seen from time to time in College Station, but it was a dead program until Gillispie got there.

Now, A&M has the foundation to be a perennial top-20 team, has an exciting young coach coming in, and is recruiting Texas as well as anyone.

No hard feelings here. I hope Kentucky gets second in the SEC every year. ;)

BTEXDAD
04-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Some of you are too much on morals when now days it's all about the $

Mostly money, but there is a lot of prestige to be coaching at some of the big basketball schools (UCLA, Duke, NC, KY)

A&M is a great school, but when someone starts working or coaching there, their blood does not automatically turn maroon. Billy G's didn't either.
Timing isnt' always right to move on, but Gillespie thought it was at this time.

Old Tiger
04-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

No hard feelings here. I hope Kentucky gets second in the SEC every year. ;) GO AUBURN! :D

g$$
04-09-2007, 04:28 PM

That is not true - A&M has more $$ & resources than Kentucky. I agree Kentucky has much more bball tradition than A&M for sure. But it is not about $$. Baylor paid Guy Morriss to leave Kentucky's football program. Kentucky was BCG's dream job & there were things behind the scenes too.

To make that statement, you have no idea about endowments, fundraising, size of schools, resources, & state funding. Kentucky does NOT have more $$ than Texas A&M. You are dead wrong. A&M is in the top 10 nationally as far as living alumini, endowments, & fundraising. A&M chose not to get into a bidding war.

Old Tiger
04-09-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm talking about basketball budgets. Kentucky's basketball budget makes up 12% of their entire budget.

g$$
04-09-2007, 04:34 PM
I'm talking about basketball budgets. Kentucky's basketball budget makes up 12% of their entire budget.

So? Your statement was wrong. A&M has committed over $20 million alone this year to basketball (men & women). No doubt Kentucky loves their bball. You still made an off-base statement.

CHS_CG
04-10-2007, 07:58 AM
BCG had already made up his mind when he got on that plane. He had insiders and friends acting as 3rd parties to keep talks going. Why would we get in a bidding war when he made it clear to some he was going to go. I like coach Gillispie, he seems like a good guy and i wish him luck to. I just wish he woulda stayed with A&M esp with some of the talent we have coming up and the younger players that we have stepping up.

kaorder1999
04-10-2007, 08:14 AM
what yo have to realize is A&M is one of those stepping stone schools. Someone will come in...win a lot of games and use it to get them another job, one not in the Big 12. Sad but true. The college game is all about "what have you done for me lately?" If he would have returned to A&M and told Kentucky no and then had a down year next year or the year after A&M would want to part ways with him. There is little committment in college sports, either way!

Phil C
04-10-2007, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
what yo have to realize is A&M is one of those stepping stone schools. Someone will come in...win a lot of games and use it to get them another job, one not in the Big 12. Sad but true. The college game is all about "what have you done for me lately?" If he would have returned to A&M and told Kentucky no and then had a down year next year or the year after A&M would want to part ways with him. There is little committment in college sports, either way!

But ka why does Texas have such good luck at keeping their coaches for a long time? :confused:

kaorder1999
04-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
But ka why does Texas have such good luck at keeping their coaches for a long time? :confused:

because its the University of Texas

Phil C
04-10-2007, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
because its the University of Texas

:eek: :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

Adidas410s
04-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Phil C

because they are putting together winning programs every year.

BTEXDAD
04-10-2007, 08:32 AM
here's a few interesting articles from Kentucky newspapers if you want a feel of how they feel about the hire of BG.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070407/SPORTS03/704070505

http://www.kentucky.com/615/story/36526.html

http://www.kentucky.com/615/story/36528.html

kaorder1999
04-10-2007, 08:34 AM
wow...those are interesting articles. Im way behind the times when it comes to college basketball and had no idea about his two DWI charges since 1999.