PDA

View Full Version : Lidge Out / Wheeler In

CenTexSports
04-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Astros just announced that Lidge would not be the closer or set-up man. He has been moved to the sixth and seventh inning fill in spot.

SintonFan_inAustin
04-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Astros just announced that Lidge would not be the closer or set-up man. He has been moved to the sixth and seventh inning fill in spot. he will just lose the game for the astros sooner :D his and for the astros sake needs to be traded.

Reds fan
04-09-2007, 01:14 PM
That moves one leak in the dam to another spot. They had better find an offense to slow the rest of the water down.

BTEXDAD
04-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Astros just announced that Lidge would not be the closer or set-up man. He has been moved to the sixth and seventh inning fill in spot.

Save me time of looking it up. I saw Lidge blow the save opening night but what has he done since then?

JasperDog94
04-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
Save me time of looking it up. I saw Lidge blow the save opening night but what has he done since then? 2/3 of an inning yesterday, 5 runs. There was an error, but still....5 runs!!!!!!:mad: :mad:

JasperDog94
04-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Astros just announced that Lidge would not be the closer or set-up man. He has been moved to the sixth and seventh inning fill in spot. Where did you get this info?

Maroon87
04-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Wheeler to replace Lidge as closer
Right-hander will instead be slotted in sixth or seventh inning
By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

Manager Phil Garner announced prior to Monday's series opener with the Chicago Cubs that Brad Lidge will not be closing games for the Astros in the foreseeable future.
"Brad will not be closing as a general rule," Garner said. "There may be a situation where it will be right to do it, but we'll probably pitch him earlier in the sixth or seventh inning."

Dan Wheeler will be the primary closer for the Astros.

Alyson Footer is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

JasperDog94
04-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Thank goodness. I was afraid that we were going to wait until May or June to make this decision.

Personally I think that they should send him to double A and see if we can shake him up and make him a starter. Everything that he's going through is mental. Maybe putting him in the starting rotation in the minors could help him get his head straight.

CenTexSports
04-09-2007, 01:32 PM
I went home at lunch and it was being announced on WGN just after Garner called the Astros media in to make the statement.

carter08
04-09-2007, 03:19 PM
This makes me happy

The Astros seem to be able to promote players to closer, they have short term sucess, and are then replaced

Wagner replaced by Dotel, replaced by Lidge, replaced by Wheeler

it is good to see the Astros have options without having to look elsewhere

Old Tiger
04-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by carter08
This makes me happy

The Astros seem to be able to promote players to closer, they have short term sucess, and are then replaced

Wagner replaced by Dotel, replaced by Lidge, replaced by Wheeler

it is good to see the Astros have options without having to look elsewhere Speaking of Wagner they shouldn't have gotten rid of him.

wedo
04-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
he will just lose the game for the astros sooner :D his and for the astros sake needs to be traded.

They missed their chance on trading him, they won't get anything back in return for him.

carter08
04-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Speaking of Wagner they shouldn't have gotten rid of him.

Couldn't afford to keep him

Lidge was good for a while, maybe better than Wagner.

Then he lost it

Old Tiger
04-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Astros need to spend more money! Let quite a few good players go.

Reds fan
04-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Wheeler in ninth today with 5-3 lead 3 up and 3 down.

carter08
04-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Astros need to spend more money! Let quite a few good players go.

They aren't the Yankees

The money has to be there to use it

g$$
04-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Astros vs. Cubs in Chicago

Won 5-3 on Adam Everett's 2-run HR to break tie, Woody pitched well, & Wheeler pitched a 1-2-3 9th for the save. Astros played better & played a lot more small ball to generate some offense too.

It's a start, now 2-5!

Reds fan
04-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Speaking of Wagner they shouldn't have gotten rid of him.

If Wagner could have kept his mouth shut they would not have traded him.

JasperDog94
04-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
If Wagner could have kept his mouth shut they would not have traded him. Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner.

When you publicly criticize the owner (even though he was right) you're gone.

g$$
04-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner.

When you publicly criticize the owner (even though he was right) you're gone.

True, but Wags had enough & wanted out. I agreed with what he said too. Funny things is Drayton has spent more $$ the past few years after Wags left (top 5 payroll last year).

Bull19
04-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by wedo
They missed their chance on trading him, they won't get anything back in return for him.

TRUE. AT LEAST THEY WONT GET ANYTHING BACK FOR HIM RIGHT NOW. HOPEFULLY HE CAN TURN IT AROUND AND MAYBE RETURN TO THE CLOSER ROLE BEFORE THE ALL-STAR BREAK AND THE STROS COULD POSSIBLY TRADE HIM IF HE BEGINS TO PUT UP SOME DECENT #'S