PDA

View Full Version : Alternating Playoff brackets

sinton66
08-08-2002, 05:58 PM
I would like to see a playoff system that alternates between the four regions. We always play 1v2, and 3v4. Why not alternate with 1v4 and 2v3, then 1v3 and 2v4? With neutral sites being the norm, I think this would benefit all teams, and I don't think distances would be a big issue. Any thoughts?

Jacket2000
08-08-2002, 06:13 PM
Even a halfway site between Texarkana and Sinton would be a long drive. The only way to do it would be to have one site,like with baseball.
J2K

Bulldog92
08-08-2002, 06:18 PM
Makes sense to me the more I think about it, but when have you known the UIL to do anything practical like this that would mix things up?

sinfan75
08-08-2002, 06:33 PM
I like the central site idea also.I think it would make things easier cause you know where your team is playin if they get that far.

sinton66
08-08-2002, 07:31 PM
I like the one site idea too. My only problem with it is that I would hate to see the smaller schools get crapped on like they did in baseball this year, ie, having to play in the middle of the week. I love UT and all their facilities, but don't want to see high school athletics have to play second fiddle to them. For now, until something better comes along, neutral sites is a better deal for us IMO. Jacket, how about the drive for a PI/Perryton match? Granted, there are extremes. I wasn't trying to slide back into my "super facility" thing, my question is whether yall think the teams and the sport would benefit from the different schemes, formations, defenses, and the like.

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited August 08, 2002).]

Jacket2000
08-08-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by sinton66:
I like the one site idea too. My only problem with it is that I would hate to see the smaller schools get crapped on like they did in baseball this year, ie, having to play in the middle of the week. I love UT and all their facilities, but don't want to see high school athletics have to play second fiddle to them. For now, until something better comes along, neutral sites is a better deal for us IMO. Jacket, how about the drive for a PI/Perryton match? Granted, there are extremes. I wasn't trying to slide back into my "super facility" thing, my question is whether yall think the teams and the sport would benefit from the different schemes, formations, defenses, and the like.

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited August 08, 2002).]

Well, Id like to see it only b/c it would be different. But, that's the only advantage I see. As far as schemes, formations, etc..., it's not hard to get film on just about any team you'd like. No need to drive 6-8 hours just to see it. But, I wouldnt have minded seeing Bridgeport vs Giddings in the semis.
J2K

c-town_balla
08-09-2002, 12:12 AM
ok I'll just say a 1 vs. 4 no matter were the site was would be a big drive for one or both if let's say Perryton and Port Isabel. The bigest extreams I could find where a middle site would be...somewhere along this line I made from San Angelo, Brownwood, Dallas. how does that sound for a trip??

c-town_balla
08-09-2002, 12:20 AM
Or lets have the 8,000 miles trip of El Paso to Orange. That would have to be on the 4a stage though. But they would have to play in say..San Angelo.. a HUGE trip for both ...by the looks of my talk San Angelo should be the state captal being it the center of the state/

sinton66
08-09-2002, 06:49 AM
Ok, the road trips would be killers in some cases, but we're only talking semis and finals here(one or two trips a year). Those games would have to be played on Saturday. I was just thinking that it would raise everyone's experience levels, and eventually level the competition across the state. My wife is from the San Angelo area, and we would love to come up against Ballinger or Wylie (or a dozen others).

Old Cardinal
08-09-2002, 08:32 AM
Sinton 66, sounds good to me.....Since its just semi's and Finals, most folks would drive to Georgia to see their team play those games. Saturday games would be great! I think the kids playing would be indeliably impressed to make a long road trip, just like HS use to do often- years ago.

vet93
08-09-2002, 08:48 AM
Sinton66...sounds like a good idea. If nothing else it would spice things up a little. However, I would not want to see my Bearcats play Sinton this year!!! We might get someone hurt. Let me stir up an even bigger hornets nest. How about seeding the regions. I know that this seems crazy but I have seen some awfully good teams eliminated by a dominant team in the first or second round. It should also make for a better set of playoff games in theory. The controversy comes with who seeds the regions and how. What does everyone think?

P.S. Sinton66...where is your wife's family from? I grew up in the San Angelo area too.

Ok, the road trips would be killers in some cases, but we're only talking semis and finals here(one or two trips a year). Those games would have to be played on Saturday. I was just thinking that it would raise everyone's experience levels, and eventually level the competition across the state. My wife is from the San Angelo area, and we would love to come up against Ballinger or Wylie (or a dozen others).

sinton66
08-09-2002, 08:48 AM
Old Cardinal, check the "Sinton Website" thread, found one answer for you.
(Back on thread) Jacket may be right, may just be wishful thinking on my part.

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited August 09, 2002).]

sinton66
08-09-2002, 12:10 PM
Wife grew up in Miles, between San Angelo and Ballinger. Seeding's not a bad idea either, Coaches Association could handle the decisions if they were willing, and I'm sure other people could too. The one site thing has always intrigued me. The thought of going to a stadium and being able to watch the four best teams in the state compete is my fondest dream. I'd even venture into Brand X state to watch it! http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

eye of the tiger
08-09-2002, 12:54 PM
I would love for all the state final games played in the same stadium. Week 15 all the Div I's and week 16 all the div II's. I would go regardless of the teams playing.

vet93
08-09-2002, 01:38 PM
Let me know if you are ever in the Miles area. We could meet in Lowake and have a steak! It would be awesome to see the final four play in a central location. Austin would be good but I would think that a climate controlled stadium like the Alamodome would be better. I went to see a college game there a few years back and I think that it would be good for that type of venue.

Wife grew up in Miles, between San Angelo and Ballinger. Seeding's not a bad idea either, Coaches Association could handle the decisions if they were willing, and I'm sure other people could too. The one site thing has always intrigued me. The thought of going to a stadium and being able to watch the four best teams in the state compete is my fondest dream. I'd even venture into Brand X state to watch it! http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

sinton66
08-09-2002, 03:51 PM
Usually end up in Miles around Christmas. Family likes to spend Christmas with my mother in law. If I hunt, it's usually between Christmas and New Year's, and I do it out there also. One day, we'll bring up my super facility thing again and discuss it.
Six classes, four of which have two divisions, would be tough to do for one site unless it had multiple fields. That said, the Astrodome does it just about every year, nearly every week of the playoffs. And, if they add Reliant Stadium to the mix(don't know if it can or will be used for anything but the Texans)Houston becomes a natural for it.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-09-2002, 05:47 PM
Hell, that system would have been LOADS of fun, especially when I played in 1994. Port Isabel played Sealy in the semi-finals.....but if it were 1 vs 4, it would have been Abilene Wylie vs. Port Isabel, OR 2 vs 4, Atlanta vs. Port Isabel. I would have much rather played against either of those two than against Sealy.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-09-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by c-town_balla:
ok I'll just say a 1 vs. 4 no matter were the site was would be a big drive for one or both if let's say Perryton and Port Isabel. The bigest extreams I could find where a middle site would be...somewhere along this line I made from San Angelo, Brownwood, Dallas. how does that sound for a trip??

I like that you used P.I. in that example. I think it would be fun to play Perryton at Texas Stadium in Irving. What about UT Austin? That too far south? I know Perryton is in the panhandle, but not sure WHERE in the panhandle. Isn't Childress right on the northernmost border of the panhandle?

In 1994, if my memory serves me correct, Abilene Wylie and Amarillo River Road played in the Region 1 final. IF in the semi-final the Region 1 and 4 teams played each other, imagine the matchup it would have made!
Abilene Wylie vs. Port Isabel
OR
Amarillo River Road vs. Port Isabel
That last scenario would have made for one hell of a road trip!

sinton66
08-09-2002, 11:20 PM
Perryton is probably 180 miles north of Childress. You can probably smell the Brand X state's panhandle from Perryton. Only 7 miles from the border.