PDA

View Full Version : Former UT Star Ricky Williams is Baack No more WEED Please

Fotbol
04-09-2007, 10:14 AM
HE’S BAAAACK, RICKY WILLIAMS SEEKS RETURN TO NFL
By: . EURWeb
Apr. 09, 2007

Print Email Not Avail

Agent said running back wrote Dolphins a letter requesting reinstatement.
Former NFL running back Ricky Williams is counting down the days until April 27, the date his year-long suspension from the league for substance abuse will finally be complete.

The athlete, who played in Canada last season, has officially applied for reinstatement and has sent a letter to his former team, the Miami Dolphins, seeking employment.

Williams’ agent, Leigh Steinberg, said the 29-year-old has been teaching yoga in California since returning from Canada last December.

"He's told me that his interest in eastern philosophy has overcome his desire for mind-altering substances and has given him another outlet," Steinberg told the Associated Press. "He's in outstanding shape and he hasn't taken a lot of hits for a running back. I think he's still at the top of his game."

Williams, a former Heisman Trophy winner at Texas, abruptly retired shortly before training camp in 2004, then, returned in 2005 to back up rookie Ronnie Brown. Williams rushed for 743 yards and a 4.4 yard average that year.

Last year, he tested positive for drugs and was suspended a fourth time by former commissioner Paul Tagliabue. His previous positive tests were for marijuana, which he has famously acknowledged using.

Last season with Toronto in the CFL, he ran for 526 yards on 109 carries and caught 19 passes for 127 yards. He missed two months because of a broken arm.

The Dolphins said they will have no comment on Williams’ possible return until he officially becomes eligible for reinstatement on the 27th.

Urban 4-1-1 On The Run! MobileEURweb.com EURweb introduces MobileEURweb.com for those with busy schedules and unable to use that PC. Now 4-1-1 info is as close as your cell phone. Try it NOW on your cell: MobileEURweb.com for those on the run.

JasperDog94
04-09-2007, 10:16 AM
:smoker: :smoker: :smoker: =:twitch: :crazy: :crazy1:

Gobbla2001
04-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
:smoker: :smoker: :smoker: =:twitch: :crazy: :crazy1:

:smoker: :smoker: :smoker: = p4s

Phil C
04-09-2007, 10:22 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Welcome back Ricky. You are just what the boring NFL needs! The Dolphins go to the Super Bowl led by Ricky Williams as he will be the Ricky Williams of the old days!

Excitement indeed!

Gobbla2001
04-09-2007, 10:23 AM
then, after winning the superbowl, he will go "Dazed and Confused" on National TV and smoke a big fatty on the 50 yard line...

JasperDog94
04-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
:smoker: :smoker: :smoker: = p4s :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

pirate4state
04-09-2007, 10:24 AM
I have no response :smoker: ;)

Phil C
04-09-2007, 10:37 AM
2007 Will be the Dolphins year led by Ricky Williams. Then after that Vince Young and the Titans will start ruling the NFL!

BuffyMars
04-09-2007, 10:46 AM
I still wish Ricky would be a Cowboy. :crying:

Snyder_TigerFan
04-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Interesting interview from Dan Patrick.
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/player?context=podcast&id=2828373)

In my opinion...he's coming back because he needs the money and he still owes the Dolphins money.:smoker:

burnet44
04-09-2007, 11:09 AM
NFL-NBA-MLB

looks like its full of thugs and dopers

Im sure Ill get hammered for this but

look if a guy does drugs why do we let em continue to play

Steve Howe got 9? chances

there is only one reason we let em

MONEY

we think they will help us make money

Im pretty tired of it

pro sports needs to clense itself
but it wont happen
MONEY is too important

fire away

I know some of you will take up for them
and thats why the leagues let em play
you will still support em

pirate4state
04-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by burnet44
NFL-NBA-MLB

looks like its full of thugs and dopers

Im sure Ill get hammered for this but

look if a guy does drugs why do we let em continue to play

Steve Howe got 9? chances

there is only one reason we let em

MONEY

we think they will help us make money

Im pretty tired of it

pro sports needs to clense itself
but it wont happen
MONEY is too important

fire away

I know some of you will take up for them
and thats why the leagues let em play
you will still support em

I didn't know you owned a team? Simple solution for you is to quit watching PRO/college sports.

burnet44
04-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I didn't know you owned a team? Simple solution for you is to quit watching PRO/college sports.

yep

LH Panther Mom
04-09-2007, 11:54 AM
"He's told me that his interest in eastern philosophy has overcome his desire for mind-altering substances and has given him another outlet," Steinberg told the Associated Press.

:thinking: :thinking: Just an observation, but didn't he have this same "interest" the last couple of times he failed drug tests? :confused:

Phil C
04-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Some of you don't seem to realize the importance of this good news.

piratebg
04-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Let's see how long he lasts this time. Hopefully he's finally kicked the habit.

burnet44
04-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Some of you don't seem to realize the importance of this good news.

Miami needs a RB
thats the news

why is Wikki not in jail?
why is Wikki making money?
Why is Wikki probably gonna play?

Miami needs a RB

it dont matter

Im just tired of people who just because they are a good athlete
be able to break the law

what about me?
Im less because Im not a RB
just a plain citizen

Id be in jail
making nothing

yeah its a double standard
Im just tired of it

yeah I do understand the importance
to the NFL and the Dolphins

only in America can someone smoke dope, snort coke, shoot people and make money playing ball

but they cant work at Wal-Mart

only in America

BuffyMars
04-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
Let's see how long he lasts this time. Hopefully he's finally kicked the habit.

I for one, could give a flying hootenanny about a players use of marijuana.
Its not even remotely in the same category as co-cah-eena'.
Its Mary Jane for crying out loud! Who cares?!?!?! :foul:

Not to mention the boy has serious social anxiety disorder. We are lucky to see him in public let alone play some ball, so if that stuff helps him get out there and play some ball....I am all for it! :thumbsup:

Oh, and Pirate, this wasn't directed at you, it was a thought in general. :)

Phil C
04-09-2007, 12:36 PM
You must remember that Ricky Williams is not only a football player but he is also a very highly intellectual individual.

Gobbla2001
04-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars

Not to mention the boy has serious social anxiety disorder. We are lucky to see him in public let alone play some ball, so if that stuff helps him get out there and play some ball....I am all for it! :thumbsup:

Oh, and Pirate, this wasn't directed at you, it was a thought in general. :)

just learned some very interesting facts about marijuana in a class I just took... it's worse than you think...

but I smoke it daily so I don't care

jk

BuffyMars
04-09-2007, 12:38 PM
just learned some very interesting facts about marijuana in a class I just took... it's worse than you think...

but I smoke it daily so I don't care

jk

I was a Psych major with classes in Sociology, Social Work and Counseling....so yeah believe me I know all about it. But I still could care less. Call me a hippie I guess. ;)

Gobbla2001
04-09-2007, 12:40 PM
I was a Psych major with classes in Sociology, Social Work and Counseling....so yeah believe me I know all about it. But I still could care less. Call me a hippie I guess. ;)

damn hippie...

how about you and terry come down here, we'll go get stoned like real hippies

Keith7
04-09-2007, 12:46 PM

I agree.. and he only failed a couple of drug tests, he didn't get caught with it on him.. so ya he didn't do anything illegal so I don't understand how Burnet44 believes he would be in jail if he would have failed a drug test? :confused:

Burnet44 I challenge you to be more informed on your drug laws and the true effects of what drugs do what

Fotbol
04-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Only in America he says, Well he could go work in the Wal-MART in Oman Muscat.

mustang04
04-09-2007, 01:24 PM
marijuana is not as bad as tobacco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Txbroadcaster
04-09-2007, 01:24 PM
damn hippie...

how about you and terry come down here, we'll go get stoned like real hippies

Friggin long haired liberal global warming commie pinko...Sounds fun

Keith7
04-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol
Only in America he says, Well he could go work in the Wal-MART in Oman Muscat.

he could go work at the KFC here in denton too, the dude who helped me earlier had a huge marijauna leaf tattoo on his forearm..

duckbutter
04-09-2007, 01:31 PM
NFL needs to ban the dope smoking THUG for life...

Gobbla2001
04-09-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
he could go work at the KFC here in denton too, the dude who helped me earlier had a huge marijauna leaf tattoo on his forearm..

probably my step-brother...

oh wait his is on his leg... my bad

BuffyMars
04-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by duckbutter

Ricky Williams and THUG in the same sentence made me LOL out loud. That is computer talk. :evillol:

mustang04
04-09-2007, 05:43 PM

so define "Thug" for me....please, i'd love to see your definition

piratebg
04-09-2007, 05:46 PM
No kiddin. Next thing you know the NAACP will be trying to shut the board down for that "Thug" comment because they will say it is racially motivated. Thanks duck.

Old Tiger
04-09-2007, 05:47 PM
NFL needs to ban the dope smoking THUG for life... I guess this board is full of 'Thugs" then.

thug /čʌg/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[thuhg] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation,
–noun 1. a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murderer.
2. (sometimes initial capital letter) one of a former group of professional robbers and murderers in India who strangled their victims.

charlesrixey
04-09-2007, 08:49 PM
then, after winning the superbowl, he will go "Dazed and Confused" on National TV and smoke a big fatty on the 50 yard line...

what a way to retire!

bandera7
04-09-2007, 08:53 PM
I agree with burnet44, I am sick of setting an example for so many kids that look up to these athletes. We are telling them that it is ok to do whatever you want, the athletes can get away with it, why cant you? We are teaching the kids of america (and I know that I am still quite a young person) that pleasure comes before the law. He should have a lifetime ban on the NFL, hell they did it to Shoeless Joe, and he was never proven to be guilty. Ricky Williams has been proven to be guilty what, four times now? Not to mention his admittance on national television?

charlesrixey
04-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
I agree with burnet44, I am sick of setting an example for so many kids that look up to these athletes. We are telling them that it is ok to do whatever you want, the athletes can get away with it, why cant you? We are teaching the kids of america (and I know that I am still quite a young person) that pleasure comes before the law. He should have a lifetime ban on the NFL, hell they did it to Shoeless Joe, and he was never proven to be guilty. Ricky Williams has been proven to be guilty what, four times now? Not to mention his admittance on national television?

It's as if society has justified drug use at the highest levels, which will obviously trickle down to the rest if us.

Instead of glorifying such actions, they should focus a little less on pine-tar and a little more on substance abuse; apparenly nothing that has been done so far is working well enough.

Keith7
04-09-2007, 09:01 PM

things are alittle different now then they were in 1920..

bandera7
04-09-2007, 09:01 PM
but the problem here is that when we dont focus on this "pine-tar" it sends that message, whether we want it to or not. We have to start someplace, and Ricky Williams is as good of a place to start as any

Keith7
04-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey

Instead of glorifying such actions, they should focus a little less on pine-tar and a little more on substance abuse; apparenly nothing that has been done so far is working well enough.

I havn't heard of any instances of pine tar since george brett got in trouble.. but yet there have been numerous new restrictions in baseball on steriods and there are numerous ongoing investigations to get to the bottom of it..

face it people.. All ricky williams did was smoke alittle pot, its not like he was out beating people up, shotting people, or anything like that.. It would be one thing if you guys were trying to make an example out of a guy like Leonard Little, who killed someone driving intoxicated, and is still playing football.. but jeez ricky williams does something that hurts nobody and he is the worst person in the world? :confused:

charlesrixey
04-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
I guess this board is full of 'Thugs" then.

2. (sometimes initial capital letter) one of a former group of professional robbers and murderers in India who strangled their victims.

The Thugee cult in the 18th century is credited wth several thousand strangulations in india during the heyday of british occupation. I know this because their leader, Behram, was credited with more than 900 murders, and is claimed by some to be the most prolific serial killer in history.

This board may not be composed of thugs, but using illegal drugs is 'illegal' and the current 'thug' (which implies a disregard for the law) is as appropriate as any other term for criminal activity. Whether or not someone uses drugs, there does exist a 'thug' culture in america, and especially in professional sports. Trying to make sure 'thug' is used in its correct context is rediculous; does anyone it refers to really care? adding 'eezy' to the ends of various words isn't grammatically correct either, but no one complains.

bandera7
04-09-2007, 09:17 PM
I agree, we live in a thug culture. So how can we stop that unless we punish our highest profile "thugs"?

Old Tiger
04-09-2007, 09:37 PM
I agree, we live in a thug culture. So how can we stop that unless we punish our highest profile "thugs"? The highest profile thugs are the ones with $$ and the ones with $$ can get the best lawyers and just get probation for everything maybe a year at the most.

g$$
04-10-2007, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
You must remember that Ricky Williams is not only a football player but he is also a very highly intellectual individual.

He's not too smart Phil or he would have not been suspended multiple times, huh? He has had treatment & many chances. He always go back to old ways. This time will be no different. He has a disease.

What's funny is those Texas fans who think this habit started in the NFL. Ricky has has drug issues for years & everyone knows it. If you fail an NCAA test then you are an idiot, as everyone knows when they are coming. The random tests are a joke. Please quit defending this clown. He somehow remained squeaky clean in college. Go figure!

Justifying drug use is just a reflection of our society & speaks to a bigger problem at home. That is the easy way out.

(and yes I know other schools have potheads too & even worse)

CHSWR07
04-10-2007, 09:40 AM
one of the biggest heisman busts IMO he pisses me off especially being from THE GREAT UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS

Fotbol
04-10-2007, 09:44 AM
I agree, we live in a thug culture. So how can we stop that unless we punish our highest profile "thugs"?
The highest profile Thugs are iin Washington D. C. and that's a fact Jack, but we can't touch 'em

BuffyMars
04-10-2007, 09:50 AM

Say what?!?!?!?!

Ricky Williams a high profile thug?!?!?! High profile....duh. Thug? BWHAHAHAHAHA!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

That is about one of the craziest things I have ever heard!

My god, I would venture as to say about 90% of the population has tried MJ at some point in their life. Hell, even my god fearing christian mother tried it once in her life.

People put way too much emphasis on MJ when there are plenty of other issues we should be focusing on....I dunno....perhaps some that directly harm others.

We have this discussion all the time and some ppl just cannot be swayed in their beliefs and I respect that.

But my belief is....its their life. What they do with it is not our business. It is between them and God.

And as far as being a role model? Well then ppl need to think about all of the gambling, cheating, etc, etc, etc...that goes on in and out of sports. If you think about it hard enough....sports in general aren't equipped to be "modeled" after.

IHStangFan
04-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Williams is a fruitcake.....his obsession w/ eastern cultures outweighs his dedication to the Dolphins and football in general, he doesn't do crap, the Dolphins still suck, and halfway through the season he disappears and resurfaces in India as the self-proclaimed Neo Dali Lama. :clap:

pirate4state
04-10-2007, 11:16 AM
I've never understood why any sane parent would allow their children to choose a sports figure as a "role model" ---- GMAB!!

Stupid, stupid, stupid.....

Parents should strive & be honored to be their children's role models!! :thumbsup:

My mom & dad were the only role models I needed.

Reds fan
04-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I've never understood why any sane parent would allow their children to choose a sports figure as a "role model" ---- GMAB!!

Stupid, stupid, stupid.....

Parents should strive & be honored to be their children's role models!! :thumbsup:

My mom & dad were the only role models I needed.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Parents should use these people as examples to show the pitfalls that fame can bring.

Old Tiger
04-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by CHSWR07
one of the biggest heisman busts IMO he pisses me off especially being from THE GREAT UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS Actually it would have to be Charlie Ward, Eric Crouch, or Andre Ware.

Fotbol
04-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Actually it would have to be Charlie Ward, Eric Crouch, or Andre Ware. Wouldn't say Charlie, He did play a less contact sport(smart on his part) Wouldn't say Crouch, I admired him for not letting the league change him into a DB, like half of the DB's in the League are now. So my vote goes to Andre' Ware UofH Bust.:doh:

g$$
04-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Actually it would have to be Charlie Ward, Eric Crouch, or Andre Ware.

Put Gino Toretta in that conversation please...complete bust & better players on his college team at Miami for sure.

Old Tiger
04-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Perhaps Archie Griffin...he won TWO Heisman's!

g$$
04-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Perhaps Archie Griffin...he won TWO Heisman's!

Oh heavens no. Archie Griffin had a fine NFL career, not a great one, but a solid one. He does NOT belong in this conversation.

Brush up on your history, youngster!

(btw, Sammy Baugh was a reach too as far as the evolution of the forward pass; 1st player inducted into the pro football HOF though & great player.)

Old Tiger
04-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Oh heavens no. Archie Griffin had a fine NFL career, not a great one, but a solid one. He does NOT belong in this conversation.

In 7 seasons as an NFL running back

691 attempts 2808 yards 4.1 ypc 7 td's

192 catches 1607 yards 8.4 ypcatch 6 td's

That's 4,415 total yards and 13 touchdowns in 7 years for a 2 time Heisman trophy winner. Lets be serious here.

carter08
04-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

:thinking: :thinking: Just an observation, but didn't he have this same "interest" the last couple of times he failed drug tests? :confused:

Because you don't have an interest in Eastern Philosophy from birth. He became interested after the dope stopped

carter08
04-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by CHSWR07
one of the biggest heisman busts IMO he pisses me off especially being from THE GREAT UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS

So, if he went to UNT, you would not be as upset?

No matter where he went to college, he is still Ricky Williams.

If he went to A&M, you would just call him a thug and walk away

Do you attend UT?

g$$
04-10-2007, 04:23 PM
In 7 seasons as an NFL running back

691 attempts 2808 yards 4.1 ypc 7 td's

192 catches 1607 yards 8.4 ypcatch 6 td's

That's 4,415 total yards and 13 touchdowns in 7 years for a 2 time Heisman trophy winner. Lets be serious here.

Not a bust, but definitely not what you would expect from a 2-time Heisman winner. He played 7 years in the highest league in the world. Others are more deserving of the bust label as mentioned above. Like I said, decent career but not great.

Old Tiger
04-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Not a bust, but definitely not what you would expect from a 2-time Heisman winner. He played 7 years in the highest league in the world. Others are more deserving of the bust label as mentioned above. Like I said, decent career but not great. Not even decent it is sup-par for sure. From a two time Heisman winner you expect him to finish in the top 5 rushing list all-time.

Old Tiger
04-10-2007, 04:27 PM
688 yards is the most he accomplished in one season.

g$$
04-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Not even decent it is sup-par for sure. From a two time Heisman winner you expect him to finish in the top 5 rushing list all-time.

Tiger, you were not even alive to watch Archie Griffin. I remember him well. He was a good back who had some injuries but hung around & had a decent career. No, it was not worthy of a 2-time Heisman winner. But it was not a bust either. MANY others go before him in the bust category. All you are reading is stats you googled & never saw him play. Go back to praising all things burnt orange with no objectivity. At least you have a track record doing that.

Old Tiger
04-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Tiger, you were not even alive to watch Archie Griffin. I remember him well. He was a good back who had some injuries but hung around & had a decent career. No, it was not worthy of a 2-time Heisman winner. But it was not a bust either. MANY others go before him in the bust category. All you are reading is stats you googled & never saw him play. Go back to praising all things burnt orange with no objectivity. At least you have a track record doing that. But isn't that what a bust is? Having so much hype and I can't think of anyone who could have more hype than a 2 time Heisman winner and not living up to the hype. Sure leg injuries affected his career but that is part of the game.

One thing we can all agree on is the two biggest bust in the NFL were Ryan Leaf and Brian Bosworth.

LH Panther Mom
04-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Because you don't have an interest in Eastern Philosophy from birth. He became interested after the dope stopped Maybe I'm confused then, but I thought I remembered that he had been in India for awhile after he "retired" from the Dolphins, "studying" Eastern Philosophy. I also seem to remember it wasn't his first trip, but could be confused about that. He returned from India and "unretired", only to fail another drug test......then off to the CFL. :thinking: Right?

carter08
04-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Maybe I'm confused then, but I thought I remembered that he had been in India for awhile after he "retired" from the Dolphins, "studying" Eastern Philosophy. I also seem to remember it wasn't his first trip, but could be confused about that. He returned from India and "unretired", only to fail another drug test......then off to the CFL. :thinking: Right?

There are many people who claim to be Christians, yet go on for years living lives that contradict Christian teachings, yet finally change and begin living a life as the Bible teaches. Who is to say that Ricky is not like this, only with Eastern Philosophy in place of Christianity