PDA

View Full Version : Imus and Al set to get it on!

JR2004
04-08-2007, 08:28 PM
By MARCUS FRANKLIN, Associated Press Writer
7 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Don Imus will appear on the Rev. Al Sharpton's radio show on Monday, five days after Imus made racially charged comments his own show about the Rutgers women's basketball team, Sharpton and MSNBC announced Sunday.

Despite Imus' scheduled appearance, Sharpton said his position was unchanged: He wants Imus fired and intends to write the Federal Communications Commission about the matter.

"Somewhere we must draw the line in what is tolerable in mainstream media," Sharpton said Sunday. "We cannot keep going through offending us and then apologizing and then acting like it never happened. Somewhere we've got to stop this."

The Rev. Jesse Jackson said his RainbowPUSH Coalition plans to protest Monday in Chicago outside the offices of NBC, which owns MSNBC, over the remark Imus made last Wednesday during his show.

Imus said members of the mostly black Rutgers University women's basketball team were "nappy-headed hos."

The team, which includes eight black women, had lost the day before in the NCAA women's championship game. Imus was speaking with producer Bernard McGuirk about the game when the exchange began on the show, which is broadcast to millions of people on more than 70 stations and the MSNBC television network.

"That's some rough girls from Rutgers," Imus said. "Man, they got tattoos ... ."

"Some hardcore hos," McGuirk said.

"That's some nappy-headed hos there, I'm going to tell you that," Imus said.

Jackson said protests are being planned across the country.

"If he has a right to use that platform to insult and degrade then we have a moral obligation to picket NBC and to protest," Jackson said. "If he can violate us in that platform in the name of free speech we'll be picketing NBC in the name of free speech."

James E. Harris, president of the New Jersey chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, demanded Sunday that Imus "resign or be terminated immediately."

Allison Gollust, a spokeswoman for MSNBC, which simulcasts "Imus in the Morning," said the network considers Imus' comments "deplorable" and is reviewing the matter.

Karen Mateo, a spokeswoman for CBS Radio, Imus' employer and the owner of WFAN-AM, said the company was "disappointed" in Imus' actions and characterized his comments as "completely inappropriate."

Imus, who has not been publicly disciplined, apologized on the air Friday.

"It was completely inappropriate, and we can understand why people were offended. Our characterization was thoughtless and stupid, and we are sorry," Imus said, according to a transcript on MSNBC's Web site.

Emerson1
04-08-2007, 09:37 PM
I still don't see how it was 'racially charged'. He never singled out just the black girls. Looks like Al here figured he was talking about just the black girls since he said nappy head and hos.

and why isn't the producer under any fire?

crzyjournalist03
04-08-2007, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I still don't see how it was 'racially charged'. He never singled out just the black girls. Looks like Al here figured he was talking about just the black girls since he said nappy head and hos.

and why isn't the producer under any fire?

Why should the producer be in trouble?

Emerson1
04-08-2007, 09:47 PM

crzyjournalist03
04-08-2007, 10:05 PM

ah...didn't realize that the other guy was the producer...I had missed that before. Thanks!

kaorder1999
04-08-2007, 10:14 PM
im so sick of Al Sharpton....

PHS Wildcats
04-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Nappy Head has always been connected to African Americans.

Everytime something like this people always say what's wrong with what he said or what wrong with what he did.

Then say well that's his right to say what he want to.:mad:

mwynn05
04-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
Nappy Head has always been connected to African Americans.

Everytime something like this people always say what's wrong with what he said or what wrong with what he did.

Then say well that's his right to say what he want to.:mad: can you prove this to me?

kaorder1999
04-08-2007, 10:35 PM
ok....if the African American world or Al Sharpton has that big of a problem with what was said then these protests or marches should take place anytime the phrase is used!!!

PHS Wildcats
04-08-2007, 10:36 PM
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/55222/african_american_hairstyles_galore.html

PHS Wildcats
04-08-2007, 10:37 PM
I give up, you'll never be able to understand:doh:

JR2004
04-08-2007, 11:20 PM
I give up, you'll never be able to understand:doh:

You are better off talking to a wall than several folks around here when it comes to stuff like this.

Emerson1
04-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Still don't see how it's racist. I have always thought of nappy hair as greasy, since mines gets that way by the end of the day. Al should worry about people of his own race like rappers saying the "ne" word every 3 words, I am sure you could find A LOT worse that was said by lil john.

mwynn05
04-09-2007, 12:23 AM
Still don't see how it's racist. I have always thought of nappy hair as greasy, since mines gets that way by the end of the day. Al should worry about people of his own race like rappers saying the "n" word every 3 words, I am sure you could find A LOT worse that was said by lil john. It's a double standard....just the society we live in.

big daddy russ
04-09-2007, 01:06 AM
I heard what Imus said and I didn't like it at all. I tried to find a soundbite somewhere on the internet, but couldn't.

If you get the chance to listen to the whole thing, do it. I can't stand Al Sharpton, but I hope he tears this guy a new one.

AP Panther Fan
04-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Imus is an idiot...but then again, so is Sharpton and Jackson.:dispntd:

Imus reminds me of Howard Stern minus all of the x-rated crap. Television (and NBC) would be better off without his opinionated program. JMHO!:mad:

Someone should tell him to get a haircut, lose the cowboy hat and try acting his age. I hope he isn't from Texas.:rolleyes:

mustang59
04-09-2007, 09:10 AM
I think what Imus said was inexcusable and he's been in the radio business long enough to know what the repercussions from his remarks would be. He did it for the publicity. If Al Sharpton wants to take up the fight he should start with the rap industry and their use of derogatory language about women. Like Imus, he's in this for the publicity. I have no use for either of them.

BTEXDAD
04-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Imus is an idiot...but then again, so is Sharpton and Jackson.:dispntd:

Imus reminds me of Howard Stern minus all of the x-rated crap. Television (and NBC) would be better off without his opinionated program. JMHO!:mad:

Someone should tell him to get a haircut, lose the cowboy hat and try acting his age. I hope he isn't from Texas.:rolleyes:

Agreed, panther fan.
Imus AND Sharpton need a hair cut. both are a little nappy headed.

Both are pretty much useless as far as I'm concerned.

kaorder1999
04-09-2007, 10:05 AM
As a white man, if I were to march or protest everything said by an African American or Asian or any other race that was derogatory to the white race then I would be considered a racist. The marches and protests just fuel the racism fire in my opinion.

Gobbla2001
04-09-2007, 10:06 AM
I might actually pull for Al Sharpton in this one...

I don't like a lot of his ideas etc..., but Sharpton is actually a pretty stand-up guy...

kaorder1999
04-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I might actually pull for Al Sharpton in this one...

I don't like a lot of his ideas etc..., but Sharpton is actually a pretty stand-up guy...

Is what Imus said wrong? Of course! He's a freaking idiot. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson can get on their soapbox and preach whatever they want to and get their 10 minutes of fame. I dont have a problem with that. I do have a problem with setting up a protest all over the country. It just fuels the racism fire.

Black_Magic
04-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
"If he has a right to use that platform to insult and degrade then we have a moral obligation to picket NBC and to protest," Jackson said. "If he can violate us in that platform in the name of free speech we'll be picketing NBC in the name of free speech."

True

Emerson1
04-09-2007, 10:15 AM
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/1984/apologizezs2.jpg

JasperDog94
04-09-2007, 10:17 AM
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/1984/apologizezs2.jpg :dispntd: :dispntd:

pirate4state
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/1984/apologizezs2.jpg

ROFL!

Gobbla2001
Originally posted by kaorder1999
It just fuels the racism fire.

I can see that, didn't really read into it too far, I was just talking about the two face to face...

Gobbla2001
04-09-2007, 10:18 AM
wow, I'm quoted in someone signature SWEET

kaorder1999
04-09-2007, 10:19 AM
gotcha...yeah..i dont have a problem with the face to face confrontation and discussion.

JasperDog94
04-09-2007, 10:22 AM
gotcha...yeah..i dont have a problem with the face to face confrontation and discussion. How about Las Vegas? Say....10 rounds?:)

kaorder1999
04-09-2007, 10:25 AM
that would be funny! I bet neither could last a round.

Gobbla2001
04-09-2007, 10:26 AM
that would be funny! I bet neither could last a round.

how about high noon, downtown anywhere, with guns, and firing accurate shots at the same time... both fatal???

no?

PHS Wildcats
04-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Well according to most people on hear, We (african americans) should just shut up, stop overreacting & stop being so sensitive :(

It's crazy to think that some people don't see anything wrong with what this guy said.

Not only did he say "Nappy Head" He & the producer also called them "Hoes"

BTW "Nappy Head" has nothing to do with greasy:doh:

It's dry hair that very tough to comb through

piratebg
04-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Well according to most people on hear, We (african americans) should just shut up, stop overreacting & stop being so sensitive :(

It's crazy to think that some people don't see anything wrong with what this guy said.

I think that what he said was out of line, but calling it racist might be pushing it a little. I find the comment more degrading toward women, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I mean, personally, I think Carrot Top is a nappy headed hoe, but that's just me.

Ranger Mom
04-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
I think that what he said was out of line, but calling it racist might be pushing it a little. I find the comment more degrading toward women, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I mean, personally, I think Carrot Top is a nappy headed hoe, but that's just me.

I agree...I find it more sexist than racist.

I don't think I have ever equated "nappy head" with strictly african americans either. ....It just meant hard to comb through hair, tangled hair, etc.

I made the comment a couple of weeks when the wind was blowing 100 miles an hour that I needed to go brush my "nappy hair".....I hope I didn't insult myself!:eek: :eek:

BuffyMars
04-09-2007, 04:32 PM
I swear it must be a cold day in hell cause I for once agree with Sharpton. Holdyur britches everybody!

I am appalled! I am white, but you just don't do that to anyone! White people use the term nappy as well, but the way he did it... come on now! It was derogatory and racist if you ask me!

I personally try to stay away from the race card because it gets used way too much in arguments, but in this case, it looks like a classic one.

Nappy headed ho's. Wow. I hope he does get fired.

Keep your negative, derogatory opinions to yourself. Especially over the air. I am all for speaking your mind, but not when it comes to degrading other people. Period. There are ways to go about getting your opinion across an audience without having to scoop to that level.

:mad: :hand:

AP Panther Fan
04-09-2007, 04:32 PM

I absolutely, without a doubt, think what he said was wrong and mean spirited. :(

Matthew328
04-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Imus doesn't need to go on Al Sharpton's show to apologize, all Sharpton wants is publicity...its like Imus goes on Sharpton's show and apologizes he's now aologizing to everyone who is black..if Imus wants to make a sincere apology he needs to apologize to the Rutgers basketball team and their coach and no one else....but I doubt any apology is really sincere I am sure he is just being forced to do it..I'd have more respect for him if he stood by what he said and that was it....

Txbroadcaster
04-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Was he being racist.I dont know..was it racially and sexual insensitive? IMO yes..I have never heard a white person called nappy headed...The fact he called them hos on top of that IMO was implying a racial term for his listeners to get a mental image. Maybe I am giving him to much credit, but it was still stupid for him to say.

Emerson1
04-09-2007, 04:45 PM

He is overreacting. Like I said earlier he should worry about people like the coaches in that video that was posted just fueling black stereotypes.

BuffyMars
04-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Imus doesn't need to go on Al Sharpton's show to apologize, all Sharpton wants is publicity...its like Imus goes on Sharpton's show and apologizes he's now aologizing to everyone who is black..if Imus wants to make a sincere apology he needs to apologize to the Rutgers basketball team and their coach and no one else....but I doubt any apology is really sincere I am sure he is just being forced to do it..I'd have more respect for him if he stood by what he said and that was it....

I agree. Imus needs to be apologizing to the girls, there is no need to go on Sharpton's show.

Matthew328
04-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Who cares about stereotypes and what fuels them.....I would hope most of society is enlightened enough to know that for everyone who first a certian stereotype there are just as many people out there who are on the opposite end of the spectrum..or am I giving society too much credit?

Txbroadcaster
04-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Who cares about stereotypes and what fuels them.....I would hope most of society is enlightened enough to know that for everyone who first a certian stereotype there are just as many people out there who are on the opposite end of the spectrum..or am I giving society too much credit?

Sadly I think as a whole your giving society to much credit

Matthew328
04-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Judging by some of the responses on this thread, and making 3ADL a microcosim of society I'd say you are correct!

Maroon87
04-09-2007, 04:53 PM
It was a dumb thing for Imus to say, but the fact is if Imus were black we wouldn't be having this discussion.

piratebg
04-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
It was a dumb thing for Imus to say, but the fact is if Imus were black we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I agree, but that's just the way it is.

Matthew328
04-09-2007, 04:57 PM
There are double standards all over society... its the nature of many societies....you deal with it and move on it doesn't bother me in the least bit that someone who is black can say certian things that I can't....its funny how people who are hurt by a particular double standard are quick to complain but many times they benefit from other double standards in society yet nothing is said then.....hmmmmm....kinda hypocritical if you ask me...

mustang59
04-09-2007, 05:32 PM
I think as punishment Imus and his producer should have to play a game of basketball against the Rutgers women's team. Bet he would think twice about making this mistake again.

DDBooger
04-09-2007, 07:32 PM
There are double standards all over society... its the nature of many societies....you deal with it and move on it doesn't bother me in the least bit that someone who is black can say certian things that I can't....its funny how people who are hurt by a particular double standard are quick to complain but many times they benefit from other double standards in society yet nothing is said then.....hmmmmm....kinda hypocritical if you ask me... :clap:

Emerson1
04-09-2007, 09:15 PM
I hope I didn't hear this right.

I was channel surfing and Stephen A. Smith was on with Anderson Cooper and some other lady. Our good buddy SAS thinks that since Imus is white, he won't get fired, but if it him(sas) that said it, he would of been fired already.

and I thought he couldn't be more of an idiot. I hope it's on again so I can see the entire interview.