PDA

View Full Version : Theus to A&M?

JR2004
04-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Got a text message from one of my coaching buddies about this. Is this a rumor or is he the next man at A&M?

hawkfan
04-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Got a text message from one of my coaching buddies about this. Is this a rumor or is he the next man at A&M?

Who does he coach for? Personally I'd Take Dixon from Pitt of Floyd from USC with thier Texas ties.

JR2004
04-07-2007, 04:50 PM
He was the coach of the team Texas played in the first round, New Mexico State. If he's the next guy then A&M got themselves another very good basketball coach. His style of play is quite a bit different than what Gillispie had the Aggies doing. If Theus is the guy they're going to be pressing and trapping end to end.

kepdawg
04-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Theus is at New Mexico State.

Here are some names thrown out by Andy Katz.

Katz Article (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=2828442)

Texas A&M athletic director Bill Byrne will try to move quickly. One name on his radar is Winthrop's Gregg Marshall, whom Byrne spoke with after the Aggies beat the Eagles this season in College Station. Marshall would definitely come if asked.

There is some support within the department to try to pursue Pitt's Jamie Dixon because he played at TCU, but it may be hard to move him from a comfortable, albeit challenging job atop the Big East. There could be interest in Gillispie's chum, Nebraska's Doc Sadler, or in Wichita State's Mark Turgeon. Regardless, the pressure is on both Byrne and Weiser for their hires to maintain the enthusiasm generated by Gillispie and Huggins, respectively.

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.

JR2004
04-07-2007, 04:56 PM
None of those names would worry me at all if they went to A&M.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-07-2007, 05:26 PM
He was the coach of the team Texas played in the first round, New Mexico State. If he's the next guy then A&M got themselves another very good basketball coach. His style of play is quite a bit different than what Gillispie had the Aggies doing. If Theus is the guy they're going to be pressing and trapping end to end.

We had a coach that was like that in high school, and you have to have some athletes to run like that. Just don't know if we have that in College Station, but if you have the guys to run it, you can be very successful.

bandera7
04-07-2007, 05:30 PM
liberty hill plays that game...and they have all the athletes they need for that. But can A&M do it? I think so, but it should be interesting to see if they do go with Theus

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
liberty hill plays that game...and they have all the athletes they need for that. But can A&M do it? I think so, but it should be interesting to see if they do go with Theus

What about the coach for Xavier?

GetRDoneStangs
04-07-2007, 07:46 PM
I have been on TexAgs most of the day and his name has not come up....But...maybe it should......I think the Ags will go after a few Big(er) Names...Dixon and Floyd...????

I guess we have to wait out the weekend to hear who they will be "getting permission" to talk to....I hope who ever takes over can pick up and carry on to what has been going on the past 3 years!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

JR2004
04-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
I have been on TexAgs most of the day and his name has not come up....But...maybe it should......

Well I think Reggie has some name recognition. Maybe not with most Aggie fans, but in basketball circles he's very well known. The parents of some of these kids playing now would remember him from his playing days at UNLV and the NBA and I guess it didn't hurt having that acting gig for a few years. :)

He is one of a select few guys that would really worry me if he went to A&M. Any UT fan who sat and watched how his press stifled Texas (and confused Barnes completely) when they made their comeback to take the lead (after being down by 16) should be worried if he were to go to A&M. A&M has some guys already on the roster who can play that style. Donald Sloan would be an All-American in that system. Give Theus some fertile recruiting grounds like Texas and I can see him getting A&M into the Final Four at some point. If he could get athletes similar to what Texas has, UT would be in a whole lot of trouble just like they were starting to be if Gillispie had stuck around.

big daddy russ
04-07-2007, 08:02 PM
I'm pulling for Dixon. He's already established himself as a top coach, is still very young (he's in what, his late-30's or early-40's?), and would be coming into a great collection of talent for his style of coaching.

big daddy russ
04-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Well I think Reggie has some name recognition. Maybe not with most Aggie fans, but in basketball circles he's very well known. The parents of some of these kids playing now would remember him from his playing days at UNLV and the NBA and I guess it didn't hurt having that acting gig for a few years. :)

He is one of a select few guys that would really worry me if he went to A&M. Anyone UT fan who sat and watched how his press stifled Texas (and confused Barnes completely) when they made their comeback to take the lead (after being down by 16) should be worried if he were to go to A&M. A&M has some guys already on the roster who can play that style. Donald Sloan would be an All-American in that system. Give Theus some fertile recruiting grounds like Texas and I can see him getting A&M into the Final Four at some point. If he could get athletes similar to what Texas has, UT would be in a whole lot of trouble just like they were starting to be if Gillispie had stuck around.
With the exception of Joseph Jones, all five of A&M's projected 2007-2008 starters will have been top-10 Texas recruits out of high school, with one five-star, seven-foot incoming freshman possibly challenging all those guys for a spot. Definitely not UT caliber right now, but they're getting close and, like you said, if someone could come in and continue recruiting would be neck and neck real soon.

I haven't seen NM play, but from what you're saying I doubt Jones would be a good fit for the system unless he gets in better shape. Still, I completely agree with you when it comes to guys like Sloan, Dominique Kirk, and Josh Carter.

I'm still up in the air about Theus just because I don't know anything about him, but it'd be interesting to see what he does if he were to go to Aggieland.

GetRDoneStangs
04-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Well, hopefully Byrne and the rest of the braintrust will "gig" the right man for the job....let's hope we can keep the current class and build on what BCG had going on !:cool: :cool: :cool:

AggiesAreWe
04-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by bandera7

My Silsbee Tigers handled that Liberty Hill press.

big daddy russ
04-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by AggiesAreWe
My Silsbee Tigers handled that Liberty Hill press.
Your Silsbee Tigers should've handled a lot more than that press. With the talent ya'll had, there's no excuse not to handle that press, then Hardin-Jefferson, then one of the state semifinalists, etc, etc.

maestro
04-08-2007, 09:11 PM
did not think of theus...

a great up and coming coach...

missouri is trying this style of play in the big 12...

arkansas' 40 minutes of h***

if this is the route that the aggies go, joseph jones will be ok....he'll be the patrick ewing guarding the basket.....

k-state has already hired........ir....settled in my opinion...

Bulldog_12
04-08-2007, 09:52 PM

As far as I know a short list has already been made.

1. Floyd ( a huge longshot)
2. Lon Kruger
3. Jamie Dixon (another long shot)
4. Greg Marshall

I have heard Theus, but nothing real serious. I feel that Marshall will probably be the next coach. Byrne really liked him when Winthrop came to A&M this year and Marshall raved about A&M all throughout the year.

Bulldog_12
04-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
As far as I know a short list has already been made.

1. Floyd ( a huge longshot)
2. Lon Kruger
3. Jamie Dixon (another long shot)
4. Greg Marshall

I have heard Theus, but nothing real serious. I feel that Marshall will probably be the next coach. Byrne really liked him when Winthrop came to A&M this year and Marshall raved about A&M all throughout the year.

please disregard. :D

new coach (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2830344)

JR2004
04-08-2007, 10:37 PM
please disregard. :D

new coach (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2830344)

This makes me happy on two fronts...

Rick Barnes is now at worst matching coaching wits again with someone he can outsmart and I can continue to cheer for Theus!

Snydertigersrul
04-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Texas A&M has zeroed in on Wichita State's Mark Turgeon as the top candidate to be its next men's basketball coach, according to a source in the athletic department.

PHS Wildcats
04-08-2007, 10:40 PM
According to ESPN, Mark Turgeon from Winthrop has been offered the job.

Bulldog_12
04-08-2007, 10:47 PM
You know, clicking on the link would help you to not repeat info. You're welcome!:)

Bulldog_12
04-08-2007, 10:48 PM
This makes me happy on two fronts...

Rick Barnes is now at worst matching coaching wits again with someone he can outsmart and I can continue to cheer for Theus!

I feel like this guy is the only person Barnes can "out-coach"

http://www.johnrozum.com/images/babyhuey.jpg

Txbroadcaster
04-08-2007, 10:49 PM

Well since Barnes is 216-86 at Texas with 4 Sweet 16 two final 8 and a Final Four in his tenure there must be alot of those coaching in the NCAA

Bulldog_12
04-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Well since Barnes is 216-86 at Texas with 4 Sweet 16 two final 8 and a Final Four in his tenure there must be alot of those coaching in the NCAA

Oh, you must not have gotten the memo about jokes. Sorry. Ill make sure that gets sent up to you.

Txbroadcaster
04-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Oh, you must not have gotten the memo about jokes. Sorry. Ill make sure that gets sent up to you.

HAHAHA SHADDUP:D I was just responding

Bulldog_12
04-08-2007, 10:56 PM
HAHAHA SHADDUP:D I was just responding

WELL DONT RESPOND IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR FREAKING TALKING ABOUT! :)

Caps make it so much more powerful.

Txbroadcaster
04-08-2007, 10:58 PM
WELL DONT RESPOND IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR FREAKING TALKING ABOUT! :)

Caps make it so much more powerful.

YOUR RIGHT IT DOES..YOU JERK..or your jerk...which one? :D LOL just picking

Bulldog_12
04-08-2007, 10:58 PM
YOUR RIGHT IT DOES..YOU JERK..or your jerk...which one? :D LOL

Definitely the caps one. I felt threatened for a second.

Txbroadcaster
04-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Definitely the caps one. I felt threatened for a second.

HAHA GREATNESS

JR2004
04-08-2007, 11:11 PM
You know, clicking on the link would help you to not repeat info. You're welcome!:)

lol...sure would.

JR2004
04-08-2007, 11:13 PM

I'm sure that duck could come up with an offensive and defensive philosophy that could confuse and confound Barnes! I might've worried had that been who got the job at A&M. ;)

g$$
04-09-2007, 02:28 AM

He is one of a select few guys that would really worry me if he went to A&M. Any UT fan who sat and watched how his press stifled Texas (and confused Barnes completely) when they made their comeback to take the lead (after being down by 16) should be worried if he were to go to A&M. A&M has some guys already on the roster who can play that style. Donald Sloan would be an All-American in that system. Give Theus some fertile recruiting grounds like Texas and I can see him getting A&M into the Final Four at some point. If he could get athletes similar to what Texas has, UT would be in a whole lot of trouble just like they were starting to be if Gillispie had stuck around.

I remember Reggie Theus well, good player (& a bit of a gunner too). Also was an analyst on TNT for years. He will not be hired at TAMU. Not one of Byrne's guys with experience recruiting Texas. Every coach Byrne has hired had experience at some point getting Texas kids (BCG, Blair, Henry, etc.)

His team at New Mexico State was full of juco kids (7 I think). He will not be there long, just a stepping stone to a bigger job.

g$$
04-09-2007, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
With the exception of Joseph Jones, all five of A&M's projected 2007-2008 starters will have been top-10 Texas recruits out of high school, with one five-star, seven-foot incoming freshman possibly challenging all those guys for a spot. Definitely not UT caliber right now, but they're getting close and, like you said, if someone could come in and continue recruiting would be neck and neck real soon.

I haven't seen NM play, but from what you're saying I doubt Jones would be a good fit for the system unless he gets in better shape. Still, I completely agree with you when it comes to guys like Sloan, Dominique Kirk, and Josh Carter.

I'm still up in the air about Theus just because I don't know anything about him, but it'd be interesting to see what he does if he were to go to Aggieland.

BCG was around 3-3 vs. Texas right? Huge gap or coaching?

Joseph Jones has arthritic knees. It has nothing to do with being in shape. Sometimes he cannot even practice. I know this b/c a friend of mine is the radio analyst at A&M w/ Dave South (& played ball there too). JJ is a great kid.

I challenge anyone to compare basketball talent at A&M & Texas right NOW. The gap is small if at all. This is not football with 85 scholarships. Go down both rosters. Both have gotten big-name kids recently. A&M just had a top 10 class & followed that up again. Throw Durant & Law out then compare (as both will be gone). Both teams have talent.

EX. @ A&M now or signed:
Sloan
Davis
Roland
Jordan
Walkup
Holmes
Lewis (from OK)
etc.
(plus proven players in Carter, JJ, Kirk)

Let's be fair here!

big daddy russ
04-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by g$$
BCG was around 3-3 vs. Texas right? Huge gap or coaching?

Joseph Jones has arthritic knees. It has nothing to do with being in shape. Sometimes he cannot even practice. I know this b/c a friend of mine is the radio analyst at A&M w/ Dave South (& played ball there too). JJ is a great kid.

I challenge anyone to compare basketball talent at A&M & Texas right NOW. The gap is small if at all. This is not football with 85 scholarships. Go down both rosters. Both have gotten big-name kids recently. A&M just had a top 10 class & followed that up again. Throw Durant & Law out then compare (as both will be gone). Both teams have talent.

EX. @ A&M now or signed:
Sloan
Davis
Roland
Jordan
Walkup
Holmes
Lewis (from OK)
etc.
(plus proven players in Carter, JJ, Kirk)

Let's be fair here!
Definitely coaching, IMO. I was there for A&M's first big win over UT three years back over the Christmas break. Even though UT had been bitten by the injury bug, they were still much more talented than A&M. Acie and Jones were nowhere near the players they've become since then but they still pulled it off.

Nowadays, though, A&M has legit top-25 talent and are really close with the 'Horns and even the Jayhawks in pure basketball talent. With Bryan Davis, Jones, and DeAngelo in the middle, they're set there. With Sloan, Roland, Carter, Kirk, etc, etc, etc they're set on the perimeter.

The talent's in place, now let's see if this guy can keep bringing it so that A&M will remain a draw to top recruits.