PDA

View Full Version : Wish Billy well and get over it

Txbroadcaster
04-06-2007, 10:38 PM
There's no blaming Gillispie for jumping at his dream job

10:20 PM CDT on Friday, April 6, 2007

Get mad if you must. Curse. Yell. Scream if it makes you feel better.

But deep down in your soul, you knew Billy Clyde Gillispie was going to Kentucky if she called. Can you really blame him?

If you're honest, the answer is no

Maybe, you convinced yourself Billy Clyde wouldn't leave because Texas A&M gave him a $500,000 raise and a contract extension. Heard they even bought some shovels, so they could finally start groundbreaking on the state-of-the-art practice facility they've been talking about for awhile.

The Aggies' power brokers really did everything they could to keep the man who turned a raggedy basketball program that endured a winless Big 12 season just a couple of years ago into a club that finished 27-7 this season and came within 12 seconds of advancing to the South Region final of the NCAA Tournament.

Gillispie, though, never signed the lucrative new deal and spent a portion of last week flirting with Arkansas, which should've made you nervous.

You don't want to hear this right now as you mourn the loss of your basketball coach. But it's time for some tough love.

Get over it.

Billy Clyde isn't the only good coach in America.

Heck, a few years ago no one even knew his name except the Dick Vitales of the world. That's not meant to demean his accomplishments, but merely to help you put his departure into perspective.

Be thankful he made your basketball program relevant again. Be happy you can pluck a head coach with a name this time – even if you have to pilfer a mid-major such as Gonzaga or Southern Illinois to do it.

Just don't spend too much time having a pity party. It's not worth it.

Billy Clyde had a bunch of good reasons to stay in College Station. He's from Texas, he recruits the state better than most and his mom and sister live here.

Kentucky gave Billy Clyde a seven-year deal worth $2.3 million per season, which doesn't include incentives and bonuses, to abandon the state where he grew up and the university that put him on the map. There's no shame in that, really.

It's the nature of big-time college basketball. You stole UT-El Paso's coach. Now, Kentucky has swiped your coach. And in a few days, you'll steal someone else's coach, who will leave the kids he's recruited in a lurch.

That, my friends, is the nature of Division I athletics.

It's hard to blame Billy Clyde for leaving, though a couple of weeks ago I wrote about all of the reasons he should stay at A&M. You can build a national champion without ever leaving the state to recruit players because Texas high school basketball has improved so much in the last 20 years.

No doubt, he could've been an icon in College Station.

Like it or not, Kentucky is a destination spot for basketball; A&M is not. No shame in that because there aren't many. So when Kentucky, or UCLA, or Indiana, or Duke calls, it takes a special situation and circumstance to turn down those institutions. Billy Donovan has that at Florida, so he told Kentucky no thanks. So did Rick Barnes, proving life at a football school such as Texas must not be that bad.

Billy Clyde couldn't say no. Frankly, it's selfish of you to ask him not to chase his dream job.

He's 47, unmarried, singularly committed to his job and he's taking over one of college basketball's great programs.

The expectations are ridiculous, the result of seven national championships and former coaches Adolph Rupp and Rick Pitino. Tubby Smith averaged 26 wins per season, won a national title and took his team to the NCAA Tournament each of his 10 seasons and it still wasn't good enough for Wildcats fans.

Kentucky fans will tell you Gillispie is only its sixth coach in the last 76 years, so the stories about ridiculous expectations are false.

Whatever.

Billy Clyde called Kentucky a dream job. It's a basketball school in one of the nation's best conferences. It offers advantages A&M never could.

So be happy for Billy Clyde. Wish him well. He gave Bill Byrne and A&M their money's worth.

He'll do the same for Kentucky.

kaorder1999
04-06-2007, 10:43 PM
this should get interesting!

JJ7997
04-07-2007, 01:28 AM
Life goes on, so be it, etc. This kinda thing is commonplace. he aint the first coach to break fans hearts and he definitely wont be the last. I'll still support my Aggies even if they dont win a game next year.

g$$
04-07-2007, 03:44 AM
I think it's a good article. Disappointed yes, but really cannot blame him. Basketball school at Kentucky, $2.3 M annually + other bonuses & incentives, etc. He helped put us on track for years to come if we handle this right.

My focus has turned to 1) getting a new coach hired & 2) trying to keep the top 10 recruiting class intact (esp. DeAndre Jordan).

Best of luck BCG, & hope we play you one day soon!

GreenMachine
04-07-2007, 04:45 AM
The Kentucky job was never about the money. A&M could have offered him more and it still would not have mattered. Likewise, Kentucky could have gotten him for a lot less. Face it, Kentucky is a basketball school and he is a basketball coach. I hate to see him go, but I hope he does well.

Phil C
04-08-2007, 05:36 PM
:(

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/hookem31/UT%20Photos/433mvlg.jpg

Bulldog_12
04-08-2007, 06:32 PM
I was mad at first, but with all the information about how he left coming out, I feel nothing but excitement over the short list I have heard. There are better coaches out there and I trust Bill Byrne as every coach he has hired has been a success.

JR2004
04-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I think it's a good article. Disappointed yes, but really cannot blame him. Basketball school at Kentucky, $2.3 M annually + other bonuses & incentives, etc. He helped put us on track for years to come if we handle this right.

My focus has turned to 1) getting a new coach hired & 2) trying to keep the top 10 recruiting class intact (esp. DeAndre Jordan).

Best of luck BCG, & hope we play you one day soon!

Could you pass your message on to some of your clueless Aggie brethren who are making your school a laughingstock right now with everything they are saying about Gillispie? It cracks me up to no end that they think he was supposed to stay at A&M over going to the school that the Ricktator calls "The Roman Empire of College Basketball"...It's not like he left to go coach at UT Pan-American or something.

Bulldog_12
04-08-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Could you pass your message on to some of your clueless Aggie brethren who are making your school a laughingstock right now with everything they are saying about Gillispie? It cracks me up to no end that they think he was supposed to stay at A&M over going to the school that the Ricktator calls "The Roman Empire of College Basketball"...It's not like he left to go coach at UT Pan-American or something.

I haven't heard anyone say he SHOULDN'T have left. Most understand its KENTUCKY. Everyone is really pissed off at how he handled the situation and didn't even meet with his team before he left. Josh Carter even came out and blasted him because he had to find out from ESPN. Even Nathan Walkup, a recruit for this year, said yesterday that it all came as a surprise because he promised all of them he would be here next year and then all of a sudden he is gone without any explanation or goodbye. The way he left has put a bad taste in everyone's mouth towards him. I slightly understand how Baltimore felt when the colts left after promising they were not moving.

LH Panther Mom
04-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
I slightly understand how Baltimore felt when the colts left after promising they were not moving. I understand where you're coming from.....same way Tech fans felt about David McWilliams. Uhm....no, we DON'T want you to stick around until after the Liberty Bowl. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :doh:

g$$
04-09-2007, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
I haven't heard anyone say he SHOULDN'T have left. Most understand its KENTUCKY. Everyone is really pissed off at how he handled the situation and didn't even meet with his team before he left. Josh Carter even came out and blasted him because he had to find out from ESPN. Even Nathan Walkup, a recruit for this year, said yesterday that it all came as a surprise because he promised all of them he would be here next year and then all of a sudden he is gone without any explanation or goodbye. The way he left has put a bad taste in everyone's mouth towards him. I slightly understand how Baltimore felt when the colts left after promising they were not moving.

I agree that the way BCG left was less than professional. Lots of stuff is coming out now too, including Bill Byrne needing to take some blame as well. Evidently the 2 were no longer speaking & it was getting ugly. Maybe a split was in the best interest in the end for TAMU & BCG. We are still on track with facilities, recruits, interest, commitment, etc. to be a solid program.