View Full Version : Imus under fire: Rutgers' women "nappy-headed..."

kepdawg
04-06-2007, 04:48 PM
Imus Show Under Fire After Racist Comments
Host, Guests Target Rutgers Women's Basketball Team

POSTED: 7:43 pm EDT April 5, 2007
UPDATED: 11:37 am EDT April 6, 2007
Email This Story | Print This Story

WASHINGTON -- A popular morning radio host is at the center of a controversy after making some racially insensitive comments about the women's basketball team from Rutgers University, which played in the NCAA championship Tuesday night.

Don Imus hosts a syndicated talk show that is broadcast on MSNBC, which is owned by WRC's parent company, NBC Universal. He was talking to three guests when he said about Rutgers, "That's some nappy-headed hos there," after his executive producer, Bernard McGuirk, called the team "hardcore hos."

McGuirk went on to make another slur, referencing the Spike Lee film "School Daze."

Later, the show's fill-in sportscaster, Sid Rosenberg, said, "It was a tough watch. The more I look at Rutgers, they look exactly like the Toronto Raptors."

The local chapter of the NAACP called the comments racist and unacceptable, News4's Miguel Almaguer reported.

Thursday evening, MSNBC released the following statement:

"While simulcast by MSNBC, 'Imus in the Morning' is not a production of the cable network and is produced by WFAN Radio. As Imus makes clear every day, his views are not those of MSNBC. We regret that his remarks were aired on MSNBC and apologize for these offensive comments."

According to The New York Times, Imus also said people should relax and "not worry about some idiot saying something meant to be amusing."

Imus Under Fire (http://www.nbc4.com/news/11538367/detail.html)

Emerson1
04-06-2007, 04:50 PM
I don't see how calling someone 'nappy headed' is racist. They need to build a bridge.......

piratebg
04-06-2007, 05:51 PM
I might get in trouble for saying this but had Imus have been black, this would not even had been an issue. When a black person says this to/about another black person it's called comedy. When white man says this to/about a black person it is considered racist.

Emerson1
04-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
I might get in trouble for saying this but had Imus have been black, this would not even had been an issue. When a black person says this to/about another black person it's called comedy. When white man says this to/about a black person it is considered racist.
It's reverse discrimination. Do you really think the NCAACP would go for an awards show where only white people can win?

JR2004
04-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I don't see how calling someone 'nappy headed' is racist. They need to build a bridge.......

He called them "nappy-headed hos"...That way beyond complete and ignorant stupidity to say something like that about a fine group of young women like that.

pantherpop
04-06-2007, 10:20 PM
It was a stupid thing to say and it is a racist remark no matter what color you are. Imus is an idiot and I cant believe his show is even on anyway.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Since when does the statement "nappy-headed" have anything to do with race? Sounds like a witch hunt to me.

Emerson1
04-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by pantherpop
It was a stupid thing to say and it is a racist remark no matter what color you are. Imus is an idiot and I cant believe his show is even on anyway.

There are two white girls on the team. It's more racist someone to hear him talking about nappy headed hos, and automatically assume he was talking about just the black girls.

Matthew328
04-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Bottom line it was a stupid statement...yes there is a double standard in society but thats the breaks....you roll with the punches and move on....everything you say has a consequence and now Imus has to deal with the consequence that may/may not come his way

kaorder1999
04-06-2007, 10:44 PM
hos?

Matthew328
04-06-2007, 10:44 PM
hos = ho's

kaorder1999
04-06-2007, 10:45 PM
ok...gotcha....

why wouldnt they put the apostrophe in there?

Matthew328
04-06-2007, 10:46 PM
not sure....LOL

kaorder1999
04-06-2007, 10:47 PM
unbelievable!

pantherpop
04-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Does anyone beside me think that Imus is the most boring telecast on tv?

turbostud
04-06-2007, 11:08 PM
He probably just stole the line from some Hip Hop song and he is now considered a racist. Blame Hip Hop not Imus.

Matthew328
04-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Thats a broad assumption but amusing....I could imagine Imus listening to some rap song....whats really funny is most rap songs aren't even about guns, degrading women or violence anymore....but its still the default answer for most people who hate rap yet know nothing about it

LH Panther Mom
04-07-2007, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
ok...gotcha....

why wouldnt they put the apostrophe in there? The apostrophe would shorten "ho is", leaving it out (hos) makes it plural. :p :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

Emerson1
04-07-2007, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
The apostrophe would shorten "ho is", leaving it out (hos) makes it plural. :p :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:
Leaving the apostrophe in would make it possession wouldn't it?

That is not your pimp, that is the ho's pimp.

LH Panther Mom
04-07-2007, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Leaving the apostrophe in would make it possession wouldn't it?

That is not your pimp, that is the ho's pimp. It depends upon the placement - The ho's going to town (ho is). That is the hos' car. :p ;) :nerd:

piratebg
04-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
It depends upon the placement - The ho's going to town (ho is). That is the hos' car. :p ;) :nerd:

The apostrophe "s" also shows possestion. ('s) is used for singlular and (s') is for plural.

Example Singular: "That is the ho's car." Meaning 1 ho.

Example Plural: "That is the hos' car" Meaning more than 1 ho.

smustangs
04-07-2007, 09:43 AM
only on the downlow do we get an english lesson using hos and pimps :clap:

Rabbit'93
04-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by smustangs
only on the downlow do we get an english lesson using hos and pimps :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

eagles_victory
04-07-2007, 10:09 AM
everyones wrong first off the word is spelt hoe not ho so the plural version is hoes yall need to learn how to spell yalls bad words that would be like me coming on here and spelling whore like this hore cant forget that w its silent

smustangs
04-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
everyones wrong first off the word is spelt hoe not ho so the plural version is hoes yall need to learn how to spell yalls bad words that would be like me coming on here and spelling whore like this hore cant forget that w its silent

we are not worthy of your presence o mighty one we promise not to mess up again sir :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LH Panther Mom
04-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
The apostrophe "s" also shows possestion. ('s) is used for singlular and (s') is for plural.

Example Singular: "That is the ho's car." Meaning 1 ho.

Example Plural: "That is the hos' car" Meaning more than 1 ho. 'Tis true... :p

And this concludes todays' lesson of DL Ho(e) Grammar 101.

Matthew328
04-07-2007, 10:44 AM
actually the word hoe would be referring to the gardening tool

not sure in websters if there is an alternate defintion to the word spelled "hoe"

I don't even know if "ho" is in there either "ho" would be slang for a prostitute or a deragatory term for women.

kaorder1999
04-07-2007, 11:52 AM
ho (hô) Pronunciation Key
n. pl. hos
Slang A prostitute.

found this....i thought it was hoe too

piratebg
04-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Real men know that difference between his hoe and his ho. :D

jason
04-07-2007, 12:45 PM
www.urbandictionary.com

these are some of the definitions from there...

prostitute
hooker
A word Santa Clause says three times when he sees your wife, mother and sister together in the same room.
A woman like my ex-girlfriend.