PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: Billy Gillispie vs. Mack Brown...

g$$
04-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Comparison of when they left previous job:

Mack Brown left a basketball school (North Carolina) to go to a football school (Texas); people in North Carolina were upset. Mack made the right move obviously.

Billy Gillispie left a football school (Texas A&M) for a basketball school (Kentucky); Aggie fans are upset & frustrated. Yes, even though football has been down at A&M it is & always be a football school here in the state of Texas. The tradition / passion is there & the money / resources will always be available. Time will tell if BCG made the right move.

Kentucky lost their football coach (Guy Morriss) a few years ago to...Baylor! Basketball is king in Kentucky.

I am frustrated & disappointed too as an Aggie. But Kentucky is a premier job. I do wish he had been more upfront with everybody involved. Now there are questions about a replacement & the incoming recruits (top 10 class) staying committed to A&M (they can transfer with no penalty since not yet enrolled). I hope Ronnie Arrow (Texas A&M CC), formerly at San Jac & South Alabama, is given serious consideration. Alvin Brooks is also in the mix (current asst., formerly at Houston). The VCU coach is also a hot commodity (formerly under Billy Donovan at Florida).

Your thoughts...

Old Tiger
04-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Apples and oranges. Comparing coaches from two different sports.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-06-2007, 04:47 PM
The only thing that really bothers me is the fact that Gillespie wouldn't live up to his contract, I mean, if you say you're going to do something, do it, it's not as though he's begging for money or had a loyal fan base. Other than that, I really don't care. I'm not going to wish him luck or throw a farewell parade, because Gillespie is no Coach K or Bob Knight, so he's not worth me getting that upset over losing.

Old Tiger
04-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
The only thing that really bothers me is the fact that Gillespie wouldn't live up to his contract, I mean, if you say you're going to do something, do it, it's not as though he's begging for money or had a loyal fan base. Other than that, I really don't care. I'm not going to wish him luck or throw a farewell parade, because Gillespie is no Coach K or Bob Knight, so he's not worth me getting that upset over losing. Gary....2.3$ a year he could just pay that contract out himself. Money talks and BS walks ;)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Gary....2.3$ a year he could just pay that contract out himself. Money talks and BS walks ;)

Yeah, that's the problem today, money over morals.

JR2004
04-06-2007, 06:59 PM

Get off this tired soapbox...It's ridiculous.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Get off this tired soapbox...It's ridiculous.

I'll do that just as soon as you get off the idea that everyone should cater to your beliefs. If you don't want to read something or are tired of an issue, don't open threads pertaining to it instead of being pompous and thinking that everyone should talk about things that are pertinent to your interests. Thanks and Gig 'Em.

kaorder1999
04-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Most contracts for employment in education are designed to give the employee the peace of mind of knowing that they are guaranteed employment as long as they follow the guidelines of their contract. The contracts are not designed to guarantee the employer that the contracted will remain at the job for the duration of their contract.

neck_06
04-06-2007, 08:13 PM

i'm gonna have to go against you on this one BBDE. I like BCG, and i wish him the best of luck. and what morals did he break? yes he said that everything went smooth with the A&M contract, but i knew as soon as he didn't sign that he was waiting on Kentucky........and how do you expect him to be upfront with A&M when he hasn't even been offered the Kentucky job yet?

kaorder1999
04-06-2007, 08:14 PM
questioning someones morals for making a decision that betters their career makes no sense to me. If were to leave Texas A&M for more money at some crappy school would be one thing but leaving Texas A&M for MORE money and possibly the best basketball job in the NCAA's is just smart. He just went from Texas A&M to the University of Kentucky, the mecca of college basketball....thats a huge step up in everyones eyes

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Maybe I'm just old-fashioned and think that when you say you're going to do something, you should do it. That's just me, and it doesn't make anyone else a bad person for not believing that or holding themselves to that, but that's the way I'm going to be. It bothers me, but I realize that unfortunately my ideals aren't very common now.

Txbroadcaster
04-06-2007, 08:46 PM

I can understand where your coming from, but this is a once in a lifetime chance he might not get again, so I cant say he did anything wrong, but I can understand the resenment as well.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-06-2007, 08:47 PM
I don't know why this was here...Wrong thread.

JR2004
04-06-2007, 09:02 PM
I'll do that just as soon as you get off the idea that everyone should cater to your beliefs. If you don't want to read something or are tired of an issue, don't open threads pertaining to it instead of being pompous and thinking that everyone should talk about things that are pertinent to your interests. Thanks and Gig 'Em.

Tired schtick.

g$$
04-07-2007, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Apples and oranges. Comparing coaches from two different sports.

2 different sports? Duh, thanks for that nugget. Also the 2 most high profile, highest paid NCAA sports too.

Disagree entirely - actually very similar circumstances. Mack built up UNC & left for Texas. BCG built up A&M & left for Kentucky. It won't be the last time either this stuff happens.

Objectivity Tiger - try when it involves "your" Texas Longhorns too.

g$$
04-09-2007, 02:58 AM
ttt

CenTexSports
04-09-2007, 08:07 AM
What I want to know is who called A&M a football school?

Phil C
04-09-2007, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Most contracts for employment in education are designed to give the employee the peace of mind of knowing that they are guaranteed employment as long as they follow the guidelines of their contract. The contracts are not designed to guarantee the employer that the contracted will remain at the job for the duration of their contract.

Why not? Usually a contract works both ways you would think.

worldbfree
04-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Here is my question.........all these people gripe about honoring contracts, moral obligation, etc. etc.

Yet, doesn't a kid sign a 4 year scholarship/obligation? When these kids bolt for the pros I hear everyone say......"they can't turn down the money........"

Then, a coach leaves for a better situation, more money, and a dream job and gets ripped for having no morals, character, or honor.

Doesn't add up to me?

BuffyMars
04-09-2007, 10:36 AM
Morals in sports?!?!?!?!?!

BWHAHAHAHAHA!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gobbla2001
04-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by worldbfree
Here is my question.........all these people gripe about honoring contracts, moral obligation, etc. etc.

Yet, doesn't a kid sign a 4 year scholarship/obligation? When these kids bolt for the pros I hear everyone say......"they can't turn down the money........"

Then, a coach leaves for a better situation, more money, and a dream job and gets ripped for having no morals, character, or honor.

Doesn't add up to me?

wow, that's a good thought...

pirate4state
04-09-2007, 10:44 AM

Doesn't add up to me?

good point

BuffyMars
04-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
What I want to know is who called A&M a football school?

Look its no secret I am no Aggie fan, but I have to wonder the same question....for all schools....

When I think of Texas, or A&M, etc. football is not the only sport that pops to mind.

(For me) Especially with Texas! I can't help but think of Phil's thread memoralizing Texas for ALL of their athletic accomplishments all around.

pirate4state
04-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
Morals in sports?!?!?!?!?!

BWHAHAHAHAHA!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

shhhhhhhhhhhhh - you'll anger some folks with this kind of talk ;)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-09-2007, 12:29 PM

Doesn't add up to me?

My sentiments are exactly the same in this situation as they are with coaches honoring contracts, but I no longer go as far as to think they lack morals, honor, or character.

Phil C
04-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars

(For me) Especially with Texas! I can't help but think of Phil's thread memoralizing Texas for ALL of their athletic accomplishments all around.

:confused: For example - ?

g$$
04-09-2007, 04:53 PM

Doesn't add up to me?

Actually, an athletic scholarship is a year to year deal. It is renewed annually over the course of 5 years to play 4 (unless a medical situation involved). You cannot cut a kid's scholarship based on playing time, ability, etc. But, you can make life very tough & request he/she transfer to make it better for everyone.

Academics, legal troubles, discipline issues, etc. are all reasons not to renew the scholarship. But it is still year to year for all sports. Coaches? Different deal altogether & unfair to the kids.

smustangs
04-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I can understand where your coming from, but this is a once in a lifetime chance he might not get again, so I cant say he did anything wrong, but I can understand the resenment as well.

exactly im reading "Do You Love Football?" by Jon Gruden right now and he talks about in it that when oppurtunity calls you answer on the first ring because chances are it will pass you up and never come back. BTW its a great book to read.

bandera7
04-09-2007, 09:15 PM
I have to agree with BBDE here. When the coach tells everybody that he is excited about the situation and then shortly thereafter leaves the school...that is wrong. It would all be ok if he would have been honest to everybody right off. He wasnt though. That is definitely bad morality, and is wrong in my opinion. I understand that he didnt sign a contract, but a spoken word is as good as a written one.

JR2004
04-09-2007, 11:39 PM

Doesn't add up to me?

You're right it doesn't, but when folks are looking for someone to be mad at or take their frustration out on WBF, common sense rarely is a part of the equation.