PDA

View Full Version : Donovan staying; Kentucky Eyes Barnes

Old Tiger
04-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Billy Donovan is staying at Florida and Kentucky says their new #1 is Rick Barnes of Texas.

Darren
04-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Say goodbye to Barnes

injuredinmelee
04-05-2007, 04:36 PM
good riddance. He has done a great job of bringing Texas basketball back to into the top 20 int he nation but now its time for someone that can get the Horns over the hump.

g$$
04-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
good riddance. He has done a great job of bringing Texas basketball back to into the top 20 int he nation but now its time for someone that can get the Horns over the hump.

Barnes has never been known as a great in-game coach (X's & O's, strategy, etc.). He has taken Texas bball to new heights & recruited very well. If he does leave, which is a big IF, Texas will have no trouble getting a quality coach. It's a premier job.

Adidas410s
04-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Barnes has never been known as a great in-game coach (X's & O's, strategy, etc.). He has taken Texas bball to new heights & recruited very well. If he does leave, which is a big IF, Texas will have no trouble getting a quality coach. It's a premier job.

Kinda like with Mack. He's never been regarded as the in-game genius...but more as the great recruiter, motivator, and "people person" that steers the ship. However...I think it's a bit different in basketball than in football in terms of having other people making the in game decisions.

Old Tiger
04-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Kinda like with Mack. He's never been regarded as the in-game genius...but more as the great recruiter, motivator, and "people person" that steers the ship. However...I think it's a bit different in basketball than in football in terms of having other people making the in game decisions. Two words....Greg Davis:doh:

g$$
04-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Two words....Greg Davis:doh:

Here comes the "Bash Greg Davis" talk! He won the Broyles Award 2 years ago with VY...now he has gotten stupid to Horn fans! They did the same thing to Gene Chizik, who also won the Broyles Award for top asst. coach. Fickle fans...

(Davis' play-calling is a little suspect at times, agreed. Less zone read next year & more power sets is the word I'm hearing.)

Old Tiger
04-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Here comes the "Bash Greg Davis" talk! He won the Broyles Award 2 years ago with VY...now he has gotten stupid to Horn fans! They did the same thing to Gene Chizik, who also won the Broyles Award for top asst. coach. Fickle fans...

(Davis' play-calling is a little suspect at times, agreed. Less zone read next year & more power sets is the word I'm hearing.) Did GD really deserve the award or was Vince so good he made Greg look good. I think it was Vince who should have gotten that award.

Emerson1
04-05-2007, 05:44 PM
GD should of got the zone read out last season. I think everyone knew Colt wouldn't be running the ball much last season.

I will be fun to watch if they use a Chiles or Harris as a Tim Tebow.

g$$
04-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Did GD really deserve the award or was Vince so good he made Greg look good. I think it was Vince who should have gotten that award.

Gripe to Mack, not me. Those 2 have been together since their Tulane days. Greg Davis has been around, including a stint at A&M when Gary Kubiak was the qb. Davis is a respected coach who has become UT's whipping boy, unfairly at times, IMO.

g$$
04-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
GD should of got the zone read out last season. I think everyone knew Colt wouldn't be running the ball much last season.

I will be fun to watch if they use a Chiles or Harris as a Tim Tebow.

That's the plan I am hearing. Chiles or Harris as a change of pace guy, a la Florida last year w/ Tebow. Colt is still the man though, period.

Old Tiger
04-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by g$$
That's the plan I am hearing. Chiles or Harris as a change of pace guy, a la Florida last year w/ Tebow. Colt is still the man though, period. You could have just put a . instead of typing out period. :p :p

g$$
04-05-2007, 05:52 PM
You could have just put a . instead of typing out period. :p :p

NO thanks. Someone in Room 21 needs your "skills"!

Txbroadcaster
04-05-2007, 06:12 PM
I find it funny that Barnes has taken Texas to heights NEVER seen in the program's history..Until him Texas boasted one NIT title in the 70's a final four trip back in the 40's and a couple of fun teams with Penders

Since Barnes has got there..a Final Four trip..Players like Kevin Durant wanting to come from his home state to play and true constant in the NCAA tourney and a highly respected team.

Is he the greatest in game coach? I dont know really know but even though Texas is now a premier college job, dont go assuming getting rid of Barnes means bigger and better things automatically.

Adidas410s
04-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by g$$
NO thanks. Someone in Room 21 needs your "skills"!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

JR2004
04-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by g$$

(Davis' play-calling is a little suspect at times, agreed. Less zone read next year & more power sets is the word I'm hearing.)

I challenge you to find a point when the majority of UT fans didn't find Greg Davis to be a moron. The guy has never been a favorite of UT fans. He was a moron before, during and after the national championship.

g$$
04-06-2007, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
I challenge you to find a point when the majority of UT fans didn't find Greg Davis to be a moron. The guy has never been a favorite of UT fans. He was a moron before, during and after the national championship.

Again, my point was the fickle nature of Texas fans. There was a brief time after the NC where they eased up on Davis. It all started up last year again with the zone read & Colt. I could care less, but he has developed a bunch of qbs while at Texas: Brown, Applewhite, Simms, VY, McCoy. Not too bad IMO, but play-calling is suspect at times.