PDA

View Full Version : All-District Selections - TOO MUCH?

BH_146
12-14-2002, 09:18 AM
This subject has probably been broached before but in looking over the all-district selections from various areas, it seems that the ones who stand out after the selections are the players who started for their team and were not selected for something. The discussions at school are something like this:

"I made all-district"
"Yeah, second team! I made first team."
"Along with the other 8 running backs. They only chose 3 centers for first team or otherwise I would have been first team."
(Note: Conversation not real, only a simulation to emphasize point.)

Has the "give everyone a trophy" generation taken over? Do you think all of these selections take away the importance to the players chosen? Or is there no such thing as too many all-district picks?

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-14-2002, 10:58 AM
I don't think so. In district 5 AAA there were 3 Db's first team and 3 second team. So six Db's get mentioned out of 20 starters over five teams in this particular district. In addition, other players sub in at Db and of course as a spare, they would not receive any all district mention.

But I'm not sold on the selection process either, but I guess it is as fair as it can be.

Wow, after proof reading my post here... I just noticed that almost half of the starting Db's in the district did get mentioned. Maybe your right.

vet93
12-14-2002, 11:15 AM
Z-motion...did your son get selected for all-district?...he was a dandy in my book!

Z motion 10 out on 2:
I don't think so. In district 5 AAA there were 3 Db's first team and 3 second team. So six Db's get mentioned out of 20 starters over five teams in this particular district. In addition, other players sub in at Db and of course as a spare, they would not receive any all district mention.

But I'm not sold on the selection process either, but I guess it is as fair as it can be.

Wow, after proof reading my post here... I just noticed that almost half of the starting Db's in the district did get mentioned. Maybe your right.

BH_146
12-14-2002, 11:32 AM
After some thought, I may have been a little harsh with the "generation" comment. There budgetary concerns with these selections.

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-14-2002, 05:59 PM
Thanks Vet.

Yeah, he was selected to the 2nd team.

Can't wait until next year. I hope that Vernon and Ballinger scrimage again or play in a non-district game. It is always good to play some good quality teams in that non-district. Vernon will be returning something like 7 defensive starters and about the same on offense so we are real excited about the prospect for a winning season.