PDA

View Full Version : Texas has new ladies coach

injuredinmelee
04-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Goestenkors reportedly leaving Duke for TexasAssociated Press

A person with knowledge of her decision says Duke coach Gail Goestenkors is leaving the Blue Devils to coach the Texas women's basketball team.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

BuffyMars
04-03-2007, 02:25 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

JasperDog94
04-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Sweet!

injuredinmelee
04-03-2007, 02:32 PM
very good thing for the lady horns and the university of texas!

LHdog
04-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Upgrade for Texas. She's a great coach and she's marrried to a guy.

injuredinmelee
04-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by LHdog

thats just funny

g$$
04-03-2007, 02:48 PM

No she's not - divorced from a guy! Better than Conradt's openly "other" status though. It was time for a change at UT.

injuredinmelee
04-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by g$$
No she's not - divorced from a guy! Better than Conradt's openly "other" status though. It was time for a change at UT.

your right the game might have passed her by as it had Tom Landry.

that comment usually gets an arguement started.

Txbroadcaster
04-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
your right the game might have passed her by as it had Tom Landry.

that comment usually gets an arguement started.

HAHAH nice..At least she knew WHEN to hang it up

g$$
04-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
HAHAH nice..At least she knew WHEN to hang it up

2 years in a row witout sniffing the tourney? Yes, it was time for a program that used to set the standard...

Txbroadcaster
04-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by g$$
2 years in a row witout sniffing the tourney? Yes, it was time for a program that used to set the standard...

yep I agree..I thought she was going to be gone a few years ago, but then she recruited a great class and had a great transfer come in and Texas shot back up in the Women's B-Ball world.

Gobbler Fan
04-03-2007, 03:46 PM
After about a week of speculation, reports on Monday indicated that Duke women's basketball coach Gail Goestenkors has made a decision, and she's heading to Texas.

Gail Goestenkors has reportedly decided to take the Texas job.
Goestenkors, who has been the head coach at Duke for 15 seasons, was in Austin last week to interview, and she reportedly made her final decision on Tuesday afternoon. Duke is expected to hold a team meeting later today. Goestenkors replaces Hall of Fame coach Jody Conradt, who retired last month after 31 years at Texas.

The 44-year old Goestenkors has had an amazing run of success at Duke, leading the Blue Devils to four Final Fours and two national championship game appearances. Along the way, she won seven ACC coach of the year awards and logged a career record of 396-99 (.800 winning percentage). Her 2006-07 team finished with a 32-2 record and was country's top team before getting upset by Rutgers in the regional semifinals of the NCAA Tournament.

After Conradt's announcement, Goestenkors' name was mentioned almost immediately as a top candidate for the job. Texas' was expected to draw interest from just about any school in the country, largely due to the Longhorn program's history of excellence, the basketball facilities and the salary that Texas is able to afford. Conradt earned $550,000 per year, and Goestenkors is expected to make more than that. Duke does not have to report salaries because it is a private school, but the school did report its five highest paid coaches on its IRS forms, and Goestenkors did not make the cut. The lowest salary reported on the forms was reportedly $525,000.

After her stop in Austin last week, a group of fans in Durham held a rally trying to convince Goestenkors to stay at Duke, but the draws of coaching the Longhorns were too strong. Along with its reputation and ability to offer a high salary, Goestenkors will have a strong in-state recruiting base with which to work.

Goestenkors took over the Duke program after serving as an assistant coach for Purdue. It took her two years to build the program, and the last 13 years of her stay were extremely impressive. In those years, the Blue Devils have been to 13 straight NCAA Tournaments, including 10 Sweet 16 appearances in a row. Duke advanced to the Elite Eight seven times in the last 10 years. The Blue Devils advanced to the Final Four four times (1999, 2002, 2003, 2006) and the national championship twice, losing both times in 1999 and 2006.

Goestenkors resume is extremely impressive, but she'll have big shoes to fill at Texas. Despite the recent struggles, Jody Conradt built the Longhorns into one of the most successful women's programs in all of college basketball. She won her 900th career game just before retiring, and 99 percent of her players graduated. She also won a national title with Texas in 1986.

Phil C
04-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Good news! Welcome to Texas Coach Goestenkors! Very nice indeed!

Phil C
04-03-2007, 04:41 PM
I know Ad is very delighted. :)

Phil C
04-03-2007, 04:41 PM
AND SHE'S COMING DOWN TO TEXAS!
ALL THE WAY TO AUSTIN TEXAS BABY!

:)

Sftball4Life
04-03-2007, 04:42 PM
I never thought she would do it - but what a fabulous snag for Texas. We love Coach G at our house - great coach and great motivator.

Adidas410s
04-03-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I know Ad is very delighted. :)

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Phil...I've always admired Coach Knight and his understudy Coach K. Did you know that Coach K has an excellent chance to pass his mentor on the all-time wins list?

luvhoops34
04-03-2007, 05:01 PM

No more "Joe D" jokes....:)

Jody Conrandt was the reason Poth's Heidi Gillingham (6'7") went to Vandy. Heidi took a recruiting visit to UT and found out that "Joe D" was sleeping with her players...:(

LHdog
04-04-2007, 08:29 AM
That's the reason Coach "Joe D" couldn't recruit in central Texas. Her "alternative" lifestyle was too widely known. The negaitve recruiting by other coaches was rampant and effective. The prospect of Coach "Joe D" hitting on their daughers scared off most parents.

LH Panther Mom
04-04-2007, 09:14 AM
That's the reason Coach "Joe D" couldn't recruit in central Texas. Her "alternative" lifestyle was too widely known. The negaitve recruiting by other coaches was rampant and effective. The prospect of Coach "Joe D" hitting on their daughers scared off most parents. I guess I'm absolutely clueless, but maybe it's because I have no daughters so I don't tend to keep up. :doh: :doh: Seriously.....I had no idea.

kepdawg
04-04-2007, 09:17 AM
That's the reason Coach "Joe D" couldn't recruit in central Texas. Her "alternative" lifestyle was too widely known. The negaitve recruiting by other coaches was rampant and effective. The prospect of Coach "Joe D" hitting on their daughers scared off most parents.

Why would that only effect recruiting central Texas? That doesn't make sense.

Phil C
04-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Phil...I've always admired Coach Knight and his understudy Coach K. Did you know that Coach K has an excellent chance to pass his mentor on the all-time wins list?

That would be great indeed!

Phil C
04-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Can anyone post a link where her name is pronouced so we can get into practice? ;)

kaorder1999
04-04-2007, 10:28 AM
just call her Coach G

KTJ
04-04-2007, 11:02 AM

This is pretty much made up crap and you know it.

Her personal life was such a factor in recruiting that Texas pulled in the #2 ranked class a year ago, and 3 top 5 National recruits, a FF in '03, and a few Big 12 championshps. :rolleyes:

Yes, I agree it was time for Jody to go. But it wasn't her personal life so for you to assume that or even make that comment is juvenile and borders on idiotic.

g$$ - pretty much hit the nail on the head with his post. Thanks.

If that type of "lifestyle" drove recruits away, then why did Marsha Sharp keep reeling them in at Tech? And Marsha, with her lifestyle, recruited the dog out of conservative West Texas.

g$$
04-05-2007, 02:21 AM
The alternative lifestyle is very prevalent in women's sports, unfortunate IMO. Jody C. was no different than many others (Chatman @ LSU, etc.). It was simply time for a change.

That being said, Jody C. was openly gay for years. Coach G is divorced, Sharp finally came out, etc. Blair at A&M is straight of course, as is Mulkey at Baylor (also just got divorced too).

Phil C
04-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I guess I'm absolutely clueless, but maybe it's because I have no daughters so I don't tend to keep up. :doh: :doh: Seriously.....I had no idea.

These are false rumors spread by those who think the National Enquier is always truthful.

g$$
04-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
These are false rumors spread by those who think the National Enquier is always truthful.

Phil, I could care less, but Jody Conradt has been openly gay for years. That is well-known. Not Enquirer stuff either, just a fact!

I don't spread rumors - & that is not a rumor - just is what it is.