PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Billy Joe Shaver

Maroon87
04-03-2007, 02:01 PM
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Police have issued arrest warrants for country singer Billy Joe Shaver after he shot and wounded a man outside a Texas bar, the entertainer's attorney said.

After Shaver left a bar in Lorena on Saturday night, a drunk, aggressive stranger with a knife followed him into the parking lot, said attorney Joseph A. Turner of Austin. Shaver shot him in self-defense, he said.

Police in Lorena -- about 80 miles north of Austin -- issued arrest warrants late Monday on charges of aggravated assault and possessing a firearm in a prohibited place, Turner said.

Shaver attempted to surrender to Austin police Monday night but was not arrested because the police did not have a record of the warrants, said Turner, who accompanied Shaver.

Lorena authorities could not be reached for comment early Tuesday.

"We're working with the police to get this resolved," Turner told The Associated Press. "His priority is dealing with this issue."

The shooting occurred at 8:30 p.m. Saturday outside Papa Joe's Texas Saloon, according to Lorena police. The victim was shot in the cheek but was talking and alert afterward, police said. He was hospitalized.

Turner declined to elaborate or say whether anything occurred inside the bar between Shaver and the victim. He said Shaver did not know the man.

Shaver, who lives in Waco, about 15 miles from Lorena, rose to country music stardom in the 1970s. Shaver, who wrote "Georgia on a Fast Train" and "I'm Just an Old Chunk of Coal (But I'm Gonna Be a Diamond Someday)" has recorded more than 20 albums.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

bhtrainer
04-03-2007, 02:04 PM
wow...lol ive seen him drunk before and hes quite a character...this honestly does not suprise me...but i still love him... he cracks me up!

g$$
04-03-2007, 02:08 PM
I like the old guy, but you can't go around shooting people like the Wild West. Hopefully they can get it all worked out since no one died. Probably more to story than we know.

Gobbla2001
04-03-2007, 02:11 PM
shot him in self-defense? nothing wild-west about that...

but yah, hopefully it was justified...

I feel so proud to have lyrics from a song BJS wrote in my signature now :D

g$$
04-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
shot him in self-defense? nothing wild-west about that...

but yah, hopefully it was justified...

I feel so proud to have lyrics from a song BJS wrote in my signature now :D

Like I said, I like him. Do you carry a gun with you 24/7? BJS is not being stalked to that extent! Let the law sort it out.

Gobbla2001
04-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Like I said, I like him. Do you carry a gun with you 24/7? BJS is not being stalked to that extent! Let the law sort it out.

what I want to know is if he is right handed, because it'd be hard to pull a trigger with a hand as messed up as his...

g$$
04-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
what I want to know is if he is right handed, because it'd be hard to pull a trigger with a hand as messed up as his...

Good point. Probably fault both ways. I smell probation, fine, & community service coming!

Gobbla2001
04-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Good point. Probably fault both ways. I smell probation, fine, & community service coming!

I'll sign his paper for all 100, 200 or 300 hours if he just comes and strums guitar with me for one day...