PDA

View Full Version : UIL to realign 8-3A early!!!

Adidas410s
04-03-2007, 09:12 AM
UIL shakes up District 8-3A

Bridgeport, Decatur get two new foes

Published Sunday, March 25, 2007

By Robert Morgan

Just as Decatur and Bridgeport high schools were settling into their new districts, the University Interscholastic League is shaking things up a little bit. The biennial realignment of Texas’ schools is still a year away but there are changes in store for this fall.

District 8-3A, currently a six-team league made up of Decatur, Bridgeport, Argyle, Sanger, Bowie and Gainesville, will house eight schools starting in August. The UIL has moved Pilot Point and Whitesboro into the district.

The UIL has made the move because of two schools opening next fall in the DFW Metroplex. Pilot Point and Whitesboro are currently in District 9-3A along with Bonham, Celina, Frisco Wakeland, Princeton, Prosper and Van Alstyne.

This fall, Frisco Liberty and Lucas Lovejoy are opening and they have been placed in District 9-3A for geographical reasons. At least one district is petitioning to stay in its old district.

“Because one of the new schools is a 3A Frisco school, we had to put at least one school in that district only with Frisco Wakeland. Lucas Lovejoy is also nearby and that made the most geographical sense,” said UIL spokesman Mark Clouds. “Therefore, with 10 schools in District 9 and six in District 9, it was a pretty simple move to make both groups eight-team districts.”

The changes will go into effect beginning with volleyball season in August.

Pilot Point and Whitesboro will compete in all District 8-3A sports except football. They will play football only in 9-3A because Frisco Liberty and Lucas Lovejoy can only start football when the UIL realigns schools, which would be the 2008-09 school year.

“The administrators in our district are getting together next week to discuss the move,” Bridgeport athletic director Danny Henson said. “I don’t have much of a problem with adding those schools. From a competitive standpoint, I think Bridgeport will do well. It will give us problems as far as traveling. From Whitesboro to Bowie and Bridgeport is a very long drive and that would force kids to leave school earlier.”

Another problem that District 8-3A coaches will face is altering schedules. The move from six to eight teams will add two weeks of district games and end the non-district schedule two weeks earlier. Therefore, coaches will have to eliminate the last two weeks of games before league play begins.

“I don’t like it one bit,” Decatur baseball coach Glen Harrison said. “All the schedules are made in two-year deals because of the realignment every two years. Now, we have to change the entire district schedule and we will have to start district play before or even during spring break. No to mention, we are going to lose our last tournament.”

The UIL confirmed at least one of the two school districts — Pilot Point or Whitesboro — have petitioned the change, and a challenge from the other district is expected soon.

Cloud said there has to be a valid reason for the UIL to change its decision, and the travel and strength of districts would not be considered.

tree8400
04-03-2007, 09:17 AM
yea those two teams frisco and Lovejoy are loaded in basketball and in Baseball they should not be able to play until the next year. I bet they will have alot more kids to choose from then the other teams in District 9-3A. I hate that this happens.

Hansum Stranger
04-03-2007, 09:25 AM
Try and keep up :D

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61930

Adidas410s
04-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Hansum Stranger
Try and keep up :D

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61930

try not to get ROM'd again! ;)