PDA

View Full Version : Astros' fans: Adam Everett hitting 2nd in batting order tonight...

g$$
04-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Just heard on the radio that Adam Everett is hitting in the #2 hole tonight. Garner said it is something he wants to try to balance the order & it is just against lefties for now (Zach Duke from near Waco is pitching for the Pirates tonight).

I understand that reasoning, but Everett has a MLB job because of his glove. He is a very good bunter & can hit behind runners, but I don't want him batting any more times than he has to in a game. I think Gar will use Mark Loretta off the bench in late game ABs if needed in this spot, but that is a defensive downgrade & I like Loretta a lot (better 2B at this point in career, but a proven .300 hitter).

Here's what I think:
1. Chris Burke better pick it up after horrible Spring or super prospect Hunter Pence will be in Houston soon (Burke is hitting 7th after they said all along he would hit in #2 hole).
2. Gar is trying to avoid the black hole at the bottom of Everett, Ausmus, pitcher...
3. Gar hopes Everett will see more fastballs hitting in front of Berkman, Lee, & Ensberg.

I think it is just an early season experiment & will likely change soon. I guess it is worth a try, but your top 5 in the order usually get 1 more AB per game. Everett does not deserve any more than required! Don't like Wandy in rotation either, but that is another story for another day (& Lane on team).

Tonight's order:
1. Biggio 2B
2. Everett SS
3. Berkman 1B
4. Lee LF
5. Ensberg 3B
6. Scott RF
7. Burke CF
8. Ausmus C
9. Oswalt P

Maroon87
04-02-2007, 04:30 PM
I got tickets for Wednesday's game.

Bull's-eye
04-02-2007, 04:31 PM
I hope Berkman doesn't come up too many times with 2 outs and nobody on. :doh:

Maroon87
04-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Luke Scott went deep and Roy O pitched his arse off. Oh, and Bidge got #2931. Other than that, not much good to talk about.

3aSoftball4Mom
04-02-2007, 09:41 PM
When is Garner going to learn about Lidge and Qualls???? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Gobbla2001
04-02-2007, 09:42 PM
he learns all of the time...

Buccaneer
04-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Lidge blew the save by giving up a homer in the 9th. Qualls gets the loss giving up a 2 run homer in the 10th.

Gobbla2001
04-02-2007, 09:43 PM
and after tonight I don't think Everett batting 2nd is too bad... might make him bat better... he was making good decisions tonight... but hell it's just the first game who knows...

3aSoftball4Mom
04-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
he learns all of the time...

Maybe so, but usually when someone learns, they don't keep making the same mistake over and over and over.................

how many times has Lidge blown a save???
how many times has Qualls blown a game?

Bulldog_12
04-02-2007, 11:18 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

g$$
04-03-2007, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by 3aSoftball4Mom
Maybe so, but usually when someone learns, they don't keep making the same mistake over and over and over.................

how many times has Lidge blown a save???
how many times has Qualls blown a game?

I am disgusted too, not just b/c of the 1st game of the year, but the pattern of blown games dating back to last year, etc. But, unless they promote Wheeler to closer, what do you do? Lidge has great ability, it is now a confidence & mental thing IMO. Lidge was demoted from the closer role twice last year in favor of Wheeler. It may happen soon again...but not now.