PDA

View Full Version : Hutto's Jeremy Kerley's Specialty Is Getting The Win!!

ILS1
03-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Friday, March 30, 2007

HUTTO — Tonight, Jeremy Kerley is scheduled to take the pitching mound for Hutto High School's baseball team. The game should end about 10 p.m.

Good thing it's a home game, because on Saturday morning, Kerley must be in Pflugerville for a track meet that starts at 8:30 a.m.

If Kerley's lucky, he'll get six hours of sleep tonight. If he's not, maybe four.

Such is life for the multisport athlete.

"I've been doing this since I was 3," said Kerley, a Hutto standout in football, basketball, baseball and track. "It's frustrating at times, really nonstop. But I like doing it."

In an era of specialization among high school athletes hoping to land college scholarships by devoting their time and effort to a single sport, Kerley is a rarity.

Before the advent of AAU basketball, select baseball and 7-on-7 football, prep athletes had to switch sports every season in order to keep playing on a competitive level. That, however, no longer remains the case. Athletes now can compete in one sport, year-round.

"Kids that do participate in several sports and do it the proper way, I think that discipline spills over into other areas in their life," said Mark Cousins, an athletic coordinator for the University Interscholastic League. "It takes a special kind of individual like Jeremy Kerley to do that."

Though Kerley isn't the only Central Texas multisport athlete, he clearly is the most accomplished.

"When you get to high school, you look to improve your abilities and want to play one sport to get to the next level," said Kerley, who stands 5 feet, 10 inches and weighs 170 pounds. "I think playing all the sports makes me better (in each of them). It keeps my competitive edge."

In track, Kerley participates in the high jump, long jump, triple jump and the 400- and 1,600-meter relay teams. He has qualified for the state meet in the triple jump the past two years.

In baseball, Kerley — who earned All-Central Texas honors last year as a junior despite not playing his sophomore season — is Hutto's shortstop, batting .511. As a pitcher, he's 3-0 with a 0.62 ERA. That includes a no-hitter against Gatesville two weeks ago.

"I wish there were more of him," said Hippos baseball coach Peter Schmidt. "Kids here play more than one sport, but he excels in all of them."

In basketball, Kerley started at point guard, averaging seven points and five assists a game, earning first-team All-District honors in District 18-3A.

"As good as an athlete he is, he's a better competitor," said Hutto basketball coach Cody Blake. "That's what makes him special. I've never experienced someone who'll compete like he will."

In football, Kerley was a four-year starter at quarterback and defensive back. He was his district's defensive most valuable player as a sophomore, led the Hippos to the Class 3A, Division I state championship game as a junior and earned offensive MVP honors as a senior. He signed a football scholarship with Texas Christian in February, making him the Horned Frogs' only four-star recruit.

"He's the best athlete I've ever seen," said Lee Penland, Hippos football coach and athletic director. "He's topped everyone else."

Kerley, however, isn't planning to stop with football. He said he plans to walk on to the TCU baseball team as well, if he isn't taken and signed in the major league baseball amateur draft in June. Both the Pittsburgh Pirates and Cincinnati Reds have shown interest.

"I want to be active," Kerley said. "Don't want to let (both football and baseball) go."

Story Link (www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/03/30/30kerley.html)

Maroon87
03-30-2007, 08:06 PM
TCU is getting a special athlete. Best of luck to Jeremy!:cool:

hutex04
03-30-2007, 08:32 PM
nevermind i see the game is cancelled :rolleyes:

thatsminty
03-30-2007, 10:41 PM
all i know is when he's some famous baseball/basketball/football player I get tickets to every game

that playa knows where he stands in my heart and vice versa

RdaleBoi08
03-31-2007, 10:59 AM
Great Athlete Played Against His Last 2 Years Of High SChool

sicem74
04-01-2007, 12:32 AM
weak

buff4life
04-01-2007, 10:37 PM
lost all respect for him as a baseball player when he was taking BP with his hat half backwards shirt untucked and then stopped in the middle of it to talk on the phone...

Old Tiger
04-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Kind of slow:D

HipposGitErDun
04-01-2007, 10:55 PM
Jeremy is an unbelievable athlete, but is even a better person. He always says "yes sir or no sir" when I am talking to him. His parents are really great people, and when his mother talks to him, I can assure you that he is listening. As great as he has been in all sports, TCU is going to love him concentrating on only one or two. This guy will be a success in whatever his future holds.

hutex04
04-01-2007, 11:22 PM
i hate when people say negative things about other players when those players in particular arnt here to defend themselves

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by hutex04
i hate when people say negative things about other players when those players in particular arnt here to defend themselves

Players should never do something that will make people question their character and nothing will ever be brought up about them, but I understand where you're coming from.

Panther One
04-02-2007, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by hutex04

With notoriety comes criticism...get used to it or there's going to be a lot of time wasted in his defense on message boards.

ILS1
04-02-2007, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by buff4life
lost all respect for him as a baseball player when he was taking BP with his hat half backwards shirt untucked and then stopped in the middle of it to talk on the phone...

A person from Giddings talking about respect!!! NOW THAT IS FUNNY!!!

:D :D :D

Old Tiger
04-02-2007, 07:10 AM
Jeremy is a good kid. After a night of dancing he came back to Rockdale and partied with us and I offered him a drink and he declined. Instead he preferred to check his myspace. :D

thatsminty
04-02-2007, 10:52 PM
hahahahahahahah

what's even more lame is everyone respects him as this higher god of some sort.
he's a great person but pfft at him ever having my respect
he'll earn it when he brings home a superbowl ring

HippoBaseball05
04-02-2007, 11:21 PM
When a person's respect is measured by whatever hardware is won or lost?

Sounds like you need to get your priorities straight, 'mint julip'.

Jeremy has been nothing but the epitome of class ever since I have had the pleasure of knowing him.

Just because you are hating on him for his skills that you might not have personally, that's no reason to be like that.

:rolleyes:

thatsminty
04-02-2007, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by HippoBaseball05
When a person's respect is measured by whatever hardware is won or lost?

Sounds like you need to get your priorities straight, 'mint julip'.

Jeremy has been nothing but the epitome of class ever since I have had the pleasure of knowing him.

Just because you are hating on him for his skills that you might not have personally, that's no reason to be like that.

:rolleyes:

seems like you need to look up what the word "sarcasm" means, oh so mighty bright one who kisses the arse of those they'll never mount to be.

Jeremy loves me regardless how harsh I am on him...him and 'Sip are like my heart.