PDA

View Full Version : Spread the word: UNT optimistic

kepdawg
03-30-2007, 05:15 PM
Spread the word: UNT optimistic

10:31 PM CDT on Thursday, March 29, 2007

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle
bvito@dentonrc.com

DENTON – Ever since Todd Dodge arrived at North Texas in December, Brandon Jackson has spent a lot of time talking about his new coach – frequently with people he doesn't even know.

"When I go to the mall and have my North Texas stuff on, people will stop me to ask about Coach Dodge," the senior wide receiver said. "That's how I know that people are excited about Coach Dodge and the season."

The experience has been a common one the last few weeks for UNT players and coaches, who will take the next step in the program's new era today with the first scrimmage of spring practice. The 3:30 p.m. workout at Fouts Field will be the first of two scrimmages leading up to the Mean Green's spring game April 22.

UNT's workouts have already attracted more attention than in previous seasons thanks to the arrival of Dodge, who left one of the most successful high school programs in the country at Southlake Carroll to try to revive a UNT team that went 5-18 over the last two years.

Dozens of high school coaches and fans have packed the sidelines at UNT's workouts to see Dodge install the offensive and defensive philosophies that helped him lead Southlake Carroll to four Class 5A state titles in five seasons.

"I definitely sense a feeling of excitement around the program, and the most important people that is true of is the players," Dodge said. "They have a little spark in their eyes right now. Everyone on this team has a new beginning."

UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal attributes that feeling largely to Dodge and his efforts to connect with the Mean Green's fan base.

"There is a very positive feeling with our coach out speaking all the time about what he feels can be done here," Villarreal said. "The players are echoing that feeling. When they are out in the public saying those things, it has a natural way of creating excitement."

That excitement is due in large part to the offense Dodge is installing.

UNT used a ground-based attack that produced a pair of national rushing champions under former coach Darrell Dickey, but is now turning to a spread offense that features the passing game. UNT is also moving back to a 4-3 defense after playing in a 3-4 last season.

Mean Green players say the transition has been a smooth one so far.

"It's been a new experience," UNT linebacker Maurice Holman said. "There is a lot of opportunity. Everyone is upbeat, wants to work hard and comes in with the mentality that we have to work hard. We are adjusting well."

Today's scrimmage will offer UNT players one of their first opportunities to make an impression on the new staff. Dodge declared the competition for starting spots open in his first spring practice and has been happy with the way his players have responded.

"We are really pleased," he said. "[Wednesday's] practice was significantly better than our first day in pads and the tempo was outstanding."

UNT players attributed that improvement to the atmosphere that has surrounded the workouts since Dodge's arrival.

"Everything is a lot more enthusiastic and positive," senior defensive end Jeremiah Chapman said. "It's been inspiring to be with Coach Dodge and his staff. It's nice to have a proven winner here."

Higher salaries: The football team's assistant coaches will earn a combined $649,000 under the terms of the contracts they signed earlier this year, 10.5 percent more than the assistant coaches who worked under Dickey last season.

The average salary of the new assistants is $72,111, up from $65,278 for last season's assistants. The high salary is $93,000. The high among last season's assistants was $79,000.

Villarreal said the increase is part of the school's effort to increase coaches' salaries across the board to make them competitive with other programs across the country.

Dodge hired a completely new set of assistant coaches when he took over in December.

injuredinmelee
03-30-2007, 05:20 PM
it will be fun watching how Dodge does there and if he can turn that program around. Will be a good on the job interview to see if he can b the man that replaces Mack Brown when Mack goes to FSU after Bowden retires.

kaorder1999
03-30-2007, 05:21 PM
go Mean Green!

Keith7
03-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
it will be fun watching how Dodge does there and if he can turn that program around. Will be a good on the job interview to see if he can b the man that replaces Mack Brown when Mack goes to FSU after Bowden retires.

you mean if he would want to take the UT job..

Old Tiger
03-31-2007, 09:22 AM
Go mean green. One of my good friends plays for them!

LHMom
03-31-2007, 10:08 PM
My nephew is a linebacker for them! :)