PDA

View Full Version : Ok Who has a better season this year..Stros or Rangers?

Txbroadcaster
03-30-2007, 09:34 AM
Alright prediction time

Rangers Record: ??
Astros Record:??

Who has a better season?

Old Tiger
03-30-2007, 09:36 AM
Full season or half.

Rangers will do like usual and be awesome prior to the all-star break then fizzle.

Astros will struggle then pick it up when it matters after the all-star break.

BuffyMars
03-30-2007, 09:39 AM
Hmmmmmmm.......

I have high hopes for the Rangers this year.

For the 1st time since God knows when, I believe they will have a better season than the Stros.

g$$
03-30-2007, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Alright prediction time

Rangers Record: ??
Astros Record:??

Who has a better season?

Both have pitching concerns, but I will take the Astros by a slim margin. Rangers lack pitching depth & will wilt in the Texas heat come late summer as usual. Astros need 1 more quality arm & look out (maybe Clemens come June?). We'll see because the offense is much improved.

crzyjournalist03
03-30-2007, 11:20 AM
If Clemens doesn't end up with the Astros, the Rangers take the better record...they were only a couple of games apart last year (believe it or not) and Texas has clearly improved. The Astros losing Clemens and Pettitte will cost them a few wins. Houston might finish higher in their division and be in contention longer, but the Rangers will have the better won-loss record.

g$$
03-30-2007, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
If Clemens doesn't end up with the Astros, the Rangers take the better record...they were only a couple of games apart last year (believe it or not) and Texas has clearly improved. The Astros losing Clemens and Pettitte will cost them a few wins. Houston might finish higher in their division and be in contention longer, but the Rangers will have the better won-loss record.

Good points, but I also think the Astros have finally improved offensively. To me it will come down to starting pitching & if Lidge can rebound. Look at Houston's everyday line-up & see what you think:

1. Biggio (70 hits from 3000; spelled more often by Mark Loretta too)
2. Ensberg (seems to have bounced back, we'll see)
3. Berkman (one of the top 10 hitters in baseball, period)
4. Lee (can flat hit & drive in runs, weight & defense are questions)
5. Scott (can he continue what he started last year?)
6. Burke (offensive upgrade from Taveras, defensive downgrade)
7. Everett (great fielder, wish he could just hit .260 & use the whole field more often)
8. Ausmus (Gold Glover, poor hitter but pitchers love him; Quintero will play more than last year's back-up)
9. Pitcher

**OF Hunter Pence waiting in the wings as well as a few arms that may help like Estrada, etc.
**Loretta will help this team & Lamb is a great weapon off the bench
**I have no use for Jason Lane or Wandy Rodriguez
**outfield defense worries me too

Guess we'll see what happens when the bell rings next week!

sahen
03-30-2007, 12:13 PM
the Astros pitching rotation should be good even without Clemens as long as they stay healthy...Oswalt, Jennings, and Williams are a good 1,2,3 punch....as long as Nieve and Rodriguez or anyone else that shows up in the 4 and 5 spot combine for around 15 wins then the Astros will be in the division or wild card race, if they can combine for 20 then the Astros will be playing in October....

I think the Rangers are going to have big pitching problems again, just a comparison of the two staffs, last year's ERAs:

Astros:
Oswalt 2.98
Jennings 3.78 (adjust for Coor's Field effect in Colorado)
Williams 3.65
Rodriguez 5.64
Nieve 4.20

Rangers:
Millwood 4.52
Padilla 4.50
McCarthy 4.68
Tejada 4.28
Loe 5.86

Both of the teams should hit well, but the Astros starting pitching seems much better than the Rangers...My guess: The Ranger's win the Silver Boot but the Astros go to the playoffs...

crzyjournalist03
03-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by sahen
the Astros pitching rotation should be good even without Clemens as long as they stay healthy...Oswalt, Jennings, and Williams are a good 1,2,3 punch....as long as Nieve and Rodriguez or anyone else that shows up in the 4 and 5 spot combine for around 15 wins then the Astros will be in the division or wild card race, if they can combine for 20 then the Astros will be playing in October....

I think the Rangers are going to have big pitching problems again, just a comparison of the two staffs, last year's ERAs:

Astros:
Oswalt 2.98
Jennings 3.78 (adjust for Coor's Field effect in Colorado)
Williams 3.65
Rodriguez 5.64
Nieve 4.20

Rangers:
Millwood 4.52
Padilla 4.50
McCarthy 4.68
Tejada 4.28
Loe 5.86

Both of the teams should hit well, but the Astros starting pitching seems much better than the Rangers...My guess: The Ranger's win the Silver Boot but the Astros go to the playoffs...

I think that a lot of people fail to realize that Ranger Ballpark is actually as volatile if not more so than Coors Field these days. Since the invention of the humidor for Coors games, production has gone way down there. Rangers Ballpark has consistently produced more home runs and offense the last few years...While I agree that Houston definitely has a better top end of the staff, the bottom end clearly goes to Texas in my opinion, and the Rangers bullpen is far superior with so many fewer questions than Houston's. Even with Gagne out, Texas has no questions at closer.

Keith7
03-30-2007, 12:37 PM
the rangers will win the west and the Silver boot..

g$$
03-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
the rangers will win the west and the Silver boot..

You are dreaming buddy...Oakland is far better pitching. I don't hate the Rangers but take a deep breath & be optimistic without being crazy!

g$$
03-30-2007, 12:42 PM
I think that a lot of people fail to realize that Ranger Ballpark is actually as volatile if not more so than Coors Field these days. Since the invention of the humidor for Coors games, production has gone way down there. Rangers Ballpark has consistently produced more home runs and offense the last few years...While I agree that Houston definitely has a better top end of the staff, the bottom end clearly goes to Texas in my opinion, and the Rangers bullpen is far superior with so many fewer questions than Houston's. Even with Gagne out, Texas has no questions at closer.

New rule in MLB: everyone must store baseballs at a controlled temperature now. Arlington has always been a launching pad esp. in late summer. You better have pitchers who can keep the ball down on a regular basis & the Rangers give up way too many HRs. I don't see a true #1 on that staff. And that bullpen is not better than Qualls, Miller, Wheeler, & Lidge (if Lidge rebounds).

Good luck!

Keith7
03-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by g$$
You are dreaming buddy...Oakland is far better pitching. I don't hate the Rangers but take a deep breath & be optimistic without being crazy!

I don't know if Oakland really has better pitching (with the exception of Rich Harden).. the A's just play in an extremely pitcher friendly park, while the Rangers play in the polar oppisite of that.. And if you are talking about bullpen, then I would take the Ranger's over the A's anyday..

Bull Butter
03-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Houston: 85-77
Texas: 83-79

Texas won't make the playoffs because Oakland & Anaheim(I refuse to call them Los Angeles) are too good.

Houston has a decent shot to make the post-season because the NL Central is weak.

eagles_victory
03-30-2007, 12:45 PM
Im a huge Ranger fan and cant wait until Monday night and cant wait to watch most of their games this year. But im a bigger sports fan then i am a Rangers fan so for that reason i wont be a homer.

Rangers will put up the offensive numbers and Tex will be a possible MVP candidate for the American League. Young should have a great year also. But the rangers struggle holding leads with their pitching. There starting pitching isnt strong and their bullpen isnt the strongest either. Millwood is still a big question at the number 1 spot. I know its spring training but math majors and Harvard Yale and Princeton cant even calculate Kevins era for spring training. Power hitting and putting up runs is great but its about pitching and situational hitting and outside of Young the rangers arent great situational hitters. So I say another middle of the road season but i hope im wrong

Astros I think they will be down a little bit this year. Call me crazy but i have the Cubs as the favorites in the Central this year i think the Stros and the Cards take a step back. The Astros pitching just seems a little suspect to me right now. I dont think Clemens will join them in the middle of the year this year either. Oswalt will be great but after him im really not sure. Berkman is the most underrated player in the league but im still not completely sold on the Astros offense. I think they will finish a little better then the Rangers but both will miss the playoffs

g$$
03-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter

Texas won't make the playoffs because Oakland & Anaheim(I refuse to call them Los Angeles) are too good.

Houston has a decent shot to make the post-season because the NL Central is weak.

I agree. Team to watch out for in the NL Central is Milwaukee. They are full of young kids like Weeks, Fielder, etc. & the pitching is improved with Suppan to help Sheets, Capuano, etc. They are not a bad team.

Bull Butter
03-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I agree. Team to watch out for in the NL Central is Milwaukee. They are full of young kids like Weeks, Fielder, etc. & the pitching is improved with Suppan to help Sheets, Capuano, etc. They are not a bad team.

Right on the money. The Brew Crew is definitely the team on the upswing in the NL Central

g$$
03-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Im a huge Ranger fan and cant wait until Monday night and cant wait to watch most of their games this year. But im a bigger sports fan then i am a Rangers fan so for that reason i wont be a homer.

Rangers will put up the offensive numbers and Tex will be a possible MVP candidate for the American League. Young should have a great year also. But the rangers struggle holding leads with their pitching. There starting pitching isnt strong and their bullpen isnt the strongest either. Millwood is still a big question at the number 1 spot. I know its spring training but math majors and Harvard Yale and Princeton cant even calculate Kevins era for spring training. Power hitting and putting up runs is great but its about pitching and situational hitting and outside of Young the rangers arent great situational hitters. So I say another middle of the road season but i hope im wrong

Astros I think they will be down a little bit this year. Call me crazy but i have the Cubs as the favorites in the Central this year i think the Stros and the Cards take a step back. The Astros pitching just seems a little suspect to me right now. I dont think Clemens will join them in the middle of the year this year either. Oswalt will be great but after him im really not sure. Berkman is the most underrated player in the league but im still not completely sold on the Astros offense. I think they will finish a little better then the Rangers but both will miss the playoffs

Good analysis, but the Cubs pick I disagree with big-time. I don't care how much they spent on free agents, it all comes down to pitching. When Mark Prior is sent to the minors & Kerry Wood is hurt again, plus Wade Miller (former Astro) is in your rotation with Ted Lilly, then you are in trouble. They will score runs & still be mediocre, much like the Rangers of the AL.

I really like Young with the Rangers. Solid player & true pro. Need more just like him but on the mound...

crzyjournalist03
03-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter

I actually think that the AL West is wide open this year...Oakland lost Zito and Thomas from last year, and they weren't exactly dominating last year like previous years.

The Angels are already having a million issues. Bartolo Colon, Kelvim Escobar, and Jered Weaver have all already been hurt this spring, and there's still doubt as to when Colon or Weaver will pitch. Throw in the Gary Matthews Jr stuff (man am I glad Texas let him go) and the number of youngsters that they'll be relying on, and they're already imploding.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if every team within the AL West finished within 10 games of first.

sahen
03-30-2007, 01:39 PM

Call me crazy but i have the Cubs as the favorites in the Central this year i think the Stros and the Cards take a step back.

ok, you are crazy...isn't prior and wood already hurt....just a matter of time before miller gets hurt and odds are zambrano will eventually get hurt, he has been a cub pitcher too long not too....wrigley field is where pitchers go to flush their career's down the toliet....

i agree with the Brewer's sleeper pick that others are making, but I thought they woudl make noise last year and their talent didnt produce as well as I thought it would....I think they are still missing some pieces, but they could end up in the mix.....I think the NL Central is still going to be between the Cards and Astros

sahen
03-30-2007, 01:48 PM

I think the volatility of the Ranger's ballpark has a lot to do w/ the fact that the Rangers management only seems to care about getting good hitters and no pitching....Sure the ballpark is hitter friendly but so is Minute Maid, but the Astros have had some of the better pitching staffs in the league once they figured out they couldnt use the same kind of pitchers they had in the Dome...

Coor's Field is a totally different animal in my opinion, the thin air causes the ball to not have as big of a break as in normal air thus the hitters get to hit straighter pitches, which results in hitting the ball harder...couple that w/ the fact that the ball flies through thin air a lot easier and you have a lot more extra base hits in a game and cheap singles....This means the best way to combat the thin air is to get really hard throwing guys w/ a good straight change, the Rockies have done this to some extent, but there is only so many of these pitchers around that throw this way and they cant have them all...Arlington does not have thin air so I think their problem arises from the fact that their pitching staffs have been horrible as of late and they have good enough hitting to make other pitching staffs look bad, esp. the 4 and 5 pitchers of other teams......

Txbroadcaster
03-30-2007, 01:54 PM
I think the volatility of the Ranger's ballpark has a lot to do w/ the fact that the Rangers management only seems to care about getting good hitters and no pitching.

Always love how people say Rangers managment only cares about hitting..they have tried to lure free agents, but most are scared of the park..they have tried to develop them..but that is a long process that does not always turn out well..but managment HAS tried to get pitching

crzyjournalist03
03-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Always love how people say Rangers managment only cares about hitting..they have tried to lure free agents, but most are scared of the park..they have tried to develop them..but that is a long process that does not always turn out well..but managment HAS tried to get pitching

yep...just a few of the names that Texas has made legitimate offers (usually more money than what they ended up signing for) and been turned down in recent years:

Randy Johnson
Barry Zito
Daisuke Matsuzaka (ok, so the Sox blew Texas out of the water on that one)
Roger Clemens

sahen
03-30-2007, 02:21 PM
then maybe the management of the rangers needs to put more resources into scouting and their farm system....i know the yanks and red soxes buy championships but other teams do have some players from their farm systems in their pitching staffs....

Txbroadcaster
03-30-2007, 02:24 PM
then maybe the management of the rangers needs to put more resources into scouting and their farm system....i know the yanks and red soxes buy championships but other teams do have some players from their farm systems in their pitching staffs....

again it is not that simple..The DVD trio was supposed to be the foundation for the Rangers staff..EVERYONE in baseball was saying it

Diamond out for year with Tommy John

Volquez is so shattered he is back at class A

and Danks has been traded.

That was supposed to be 3/5 of a starting rotation

crzyjournalist03
03-30-2007, 02:26 PM

That's what Texas has tried to do recently, and that's why guys like Kameron Loe, Robinson Tejeda, and Brandon McCarthy are all being expected to produce this year. But scouting is so hit-and-miss! Look at the Astros letting Johan Santana go. Texas didn't sign Barry Zito when they drafted him because they didn't think he was worth a big signing bonus.

The Rangers have developed talent in the last decade or so, but they've missed retaining some of the good ones...Chris Young of the Padres was traded for Otsuka and Eaton. Doug Davis of the Diamondbacks was let go because he was out of options. Tanyon Sturtze, same story. Fabio Castro--Buck didn't like him, and now Buck doesn't have a job.

That's the primary reason that so many Rangers fans are excited this year. Texas has made noticeable changes to the way it's running the organization, and eventually, it will pay dividends.

Keith7
03-30-2007, 02:27 PM
yep...just a few of the names that Texas has made legitimate offers (usually more money than what they ended up signing for) and been turned down in recent years:

Randy Johnson
Barry Zito
Daisuke Matsuzaka (ok, so the Sox blew Texas out of the water on that one)
Roger Clemens

add Mark Mulder, and Josh Beckett to that list too

crzyjournalist03
03-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
add Mark Mulder, and Josh Beckett to that list too

I know there's more, it's just hard to remember them all!

eagles_victory
03-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Good analysis, but the Cubs pick I disagree with big-time. I don't care how much they spent on free agents, it all comes down to pitching. When Mark Prior is sent to the minors & Kerry Wood is hurt again, plus Wade Miller (former Astro) is in your rotation with Ted Lilly, then you are in trouble. They will score runs & still be mediocre, much like the Rangers of the AL.

I really like Young with the Rangers. Solid player & true pro. Need more just like him but on the mound... i love Zambrano he is my early pick for NL Cy Young and your right i could be way off but every know and then i like to go out on a limb with some of my predictions. This is a pretty thin limb but i can see it happening

JR2004
03-30-2007, 07:06 PM
again it is not that simple..The DVD trio was supposed to be the foundation for the Rangers staff..EVERYONE in baseball was saying it

Diamond out for year with Tommy John

Volquez is so shattered he is back at class A

and Danks has been traded.

That was supposed to be 3/5 of a starting rotation

Everyone in baseball wasn't saying that. Smart people were betting their money on Danks IF he found a way out of the Rangers system...And he found that way out and should succeed on the big league level.

sahen
03-30-2007, 08:17 PM
i love Zambrano he is my early pick for NL Cy Young and your right i could be way off but every know and then i like to go out on a limb with some of my predictions. This is a pretty thin limb but i can see it happening

thats not that thin of a limb really....if Zambrano stays healthy he should have a shot at it

sahen
03-30-2007, 08:23 PM
and Ranger's fans backing the management....look i am not saying they dont try to scout and develop talent but there comes a point where you have to say ok, we suck at pitching and we need to change some stuff....they are trying but obviously their scouting and farm system suck, its time for them to make some changes....i have nothing against the rangers and would love to see them do well but it really seems like no matter what they have they pretty much tank...

Maroon87
03-30-2007, 08:25 PM
I say the Astros will have a better year...maybe less than 10 wins better though.:)

sahen
03-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I say the Astros will have a better year...maybe less than 10 wins better though.:)
10 better than last year? if so i could live w/ that, that would have gotten us in the playoffs last year

Maroon87
03-30-2007, 08:37 PM
10 better than last year? if so i could live w/ that, that would have gotten us in the playoffs last year

This year the Astros should have the offense, but the pitching is a question mark for a change. We'll see...:thinking:

sahen
03-30-2007, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
This year the Astros should have the offense, but the pitching is a question mark for a change. We'll see...:thinking:
I really dont think it will be as much of a question as people think....Jennings actually has done just as good if not better than Pettitte was doing for the astros and Williams can win between 12-15 games....that should be good enough....

LH Panther Mom
03-30-2007, 08:41 PM
As usual, the Rangers will win the Silver Boot, but use it all up with that accomplishment. The Astros will once again make the playoffs. :D

sahen
03-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
As usual, the Rangers will win the Silver Boot, but use it all up with that accomplishment. The Astros will once again make the playoffs. :D If they put the silver boot series in August or September the astros would sweep it every year ;)

Maroon87
03-30-2007, 09:12 PM
If they put the silver boot series in August or September the astros would sweep it every year ;)

Word!

Txbroadcaster
03-30-2007, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Everyone in baseball wasn't saying that. Smart people were betting their money on Danks IF he found a way out of the Rangers system...And he found that way out and should succeed on the big league level.

Actually Diamond and Danks had been considered the better of the three, all depends on who you read..BUT Eric Hurley is fast becoming a better "prospect" than Diamond and some are saying he might be better than Danks

And I have never read someone saying any of them needed to find a wayout of the system EXCEPT for ONE guy and that is Volquez, but I think that has more to do with how the old regime rushed him to the majors.
The Rangers minor league system has a good amount of pitching prospects..it is the fielding/hitting that right now are a bit down, but alot of the younger guys are with the big club right now.

kepdawg
03-30-2007, 09:48 PM
The Rangers are the Rangers so that means the answer is the Astros.

JR2004
03-30-2007, 09:52 PM
Actually Diamond and Danks had been considered the better of the three, all depends on who you read..BUT Eric Hurley is fast becoming a better "prospect" than Diamond and some are saying he might be better than Danks

And I have never read someone saying any of them needed to find a wayout of the system EXCEPT for ONE guy and that is Volquez, but I think that has more to do with how the old regime rushed him to the majors.
The Rangers minor league system has a good amount of pitching prospects..it is the fielding/hitting that right now are a bit down, but alot of the younger guys are with the big club right now.

Who are you reading? Every pitching prospect the Rangers have or will have needs to find a way out of the system. The ballpark is a death trap for pitchers. That's pretty common knowledge for anyone who evaluates the pitchers in the Rangers farm system who have any kind of potential whatsoever.

g$$
04-01-2007, 02:45 AM
i love Zambrano he is my early pick for NL Cy Young and your right i could be way off but every know and then i like to go out on a limb with some of my predictions. This is a pretty thin limb but i can see it happening

Zambrano is a stud, no doubt. It is the other guys on staff that stink by MLB standards. Big Z will be in the mix for the Cy Young & the Cubs will be around .500 come Septmeber too! Offense goes in slumps, pitching depth & solid defense do not.

Bull's-eye
04-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Went to the Astros game on Friday and noticed Ensberg batting in the 2 hole. Is this a good spot for him?

sahen
04-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Went to the Astros game on Friday and noticed Ensberg batting in the 2 hole. Is this a good spot for him?

It is good cause they wil have to throw him something to hit cause of Berkman and Lee behind him...but I would rather have the Ensberg of 2 years ago batting behind Berkman and Lee making the pitchers throw Berkman and Lee something to hit....

SintonFan_inAustin
04-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Here's why the Rangers are feeling good about themselves again.

BATTING ORDER
1. Kenny Lofton, CF:
The 39-year-old, 16-year veteran goes into the season needing one stolen base for 600 for his career. He is first among active players and 17th all-time. He is one of 10 Major League players in history with at least 500 steals and 100 home runs. He is fourth among active players with 1,442 runs scored.

2. Frank Catalanotto, LF:
Catalanotto returns to the Rangers after four years in Toronto. He is a career .297 hitter, including .306 against right-handers. He is a .315 hitter at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. He is a .325 hitter with runners in scoring position. Brad Wilkerson will also see time in left field.
3. Michael Young, SS:
The Rangers signed Young to a five-year contract extension in Spring Training that will keep him with the team through 2013. He set a club record last year with 52 doubles, as well as establishing a career high with 103 RBIs. He is hitting .373 with runners in scoring position over the past four years, second highest in the Major Leagues.

4. Mark Teixeira, 1B:
A two-time Gold Glove winner, Teixeira hit .275 with nine home runs and 49 RBIs in the first half of last season and .291 with 24 home runs and 61 RBIs in the second half. He has played in 446 straight games, second highest in club history. His 240 extra-base hits since the start of the 2004 season are the third most in the Major Leagues

5. Sammy Sosa, DH:
The Rangers signed him because they needed a platoon, right-handed hitting designated hitter. But after a terrific spring, it's likely that Sosa will be an everyday player. He had problems hitting right-handed pitching in 2005, his last season in the Majors, so it will be interesting to see if that continues.

6. Hank Blalock, 3B:
His numbers have been in decline the past few years and he had shoulder surgery in the offseason. Washington is determined to play him regularly against left-handers. He's still a clutch hitter, batting .337 with runners in scoring position last year but his slugging percentage was down to .401.

7. Nelson Cruz, RF:
He is an above-average outfielder with a strong arm but must show he can hit right-handed pitching. If not, Brad Wilkerson could displace him. But the Rangers are determined to give Cruz every chance to establish himself as an everyday player.

8. Gerald Laird, C:
He finally gets his chance to be the everyday catcher after backing up Rod Barajas last year. He is athletic, has a strong arm and has some pop in his bat. His challenge is to be a leader of the pitching staff and handle the No. 1 priority of calling a game.

9. Ian Kinsler, 2B:
He'll move up in the lineup against left-handed pitchers. He had a terrific spring and appears poised to enjoy a breakout season. He has the potential to hit 20 home runs and steal 20 bases and he is getting better defensively.

ROTATION
1. Kevin Millwood, RHP:
He is the ultimate workhorse, a leader on the staff and in the clubhouse. He just needs to get off to a good start at home, where he struggled in the first half last year. But he is usually good for 14-18 wins with sufficient run support.

2. Vicente Padilla, RHP:
The Rangers rewarded his 15-win season with a three-year contract, giving him the security he wanted. He is a fierce competitor who is unafraid to pitch inside. Most important for him is to be aggressive with his fastball.

3. Brandon McCarthy, RHP:
He is finally getting a chance to be a full-time starter after the White Sox used him mainly in relief last year. He is a four-pitch pitcher with excellent command. He just needs movement on his fastball down in the strike zone.

4. Robinson Tejeda, RHP:
He won last year by overpowering hitters with his fastball. If he's in the 95-97 mph range, he is tough. If his velocity dips below that, he can get into trouble if his command is not good. His secondary pitches must get better.

5. Jamey Wright, RHP:
He has what the Rangers call "electric" stuff but it has never translated into a winning record at the Major League level. The Rangers are hoping he can hold it together for a full season but may be on a short leash given his track record.

BULLPEN
The Rangers are counting on Eric Gagne to be an effective, if not dominating, Major League closer again after two years of injuries. If he handles that role as expected, the Rangers could have one of the best bullpens in the game. Akinori Otsuka isn't happy about losing the closer's job after saving 32 games last year but should be a quality setup reliever with occasional save opportunities. C.J. Wilson and Ron Mahay give the Rangers two power left-handed arms. Kameron Loe and Joaquin Benoit both had great springs and have a chance to be two of the better middle relievers in the game.

The Rangers need to pitch. It is simple as that. They should be solid at the front end of the rotation with Millwood and Padilla but need McCarthy and Tejeda to establish themselves as front-line Major League starting pitchers. They may be the two most important players on the team. Gagne is right there with them but the Rangers do have Otsuka if he falters. Washington believes that the Rangers have as much pitching talent as the Oakland Athletics had when he was a coach there. He just wants his pitchers to be aggressive and pound the strike zone. That has been his mantra the entire spring, now they have to follow through on the manager's mandate.

Hey, don't forget the Buck Showalter Factor. He was let go after the 2006 season. After leaving his last two jobs with the New York Yankees in 1995 and the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2000, both teams went on to win the World Series. Rangers over Astros in World Series so Rangers have the better season:D

Bull's-eye
04-01-2007, 03:42 PM

The #2 hitter is usually asked to bunt the lead-off hitter over to second base. Is this what we want one of our power hitters doing?

g$$
04-01-2007, 03:48 PM

I don't mind it for now. In fact, if you read my original post from Friday I had him in the #2 hole. His OB% is high & if he can get on for Berkman & Lee then it's a good thing, but to make that work Scott has to hit. It is as much about who hits in front of you as behind you (for Berkman & Lee to produce). I would personally like to see Biggio in the 6 hole & Burke at lead-off. Biggio does not get on base as much anymore, runs less, & does hit for some power (20 HRs last year) esp. at home. But that will not happen as we all know.

I am sure it will be a fluid thing & change somewhat depending on who is hot & how they start the season.

g$$
04-01-2007, 03:49 PM
The #2 hitter is usually asked to bunt the lead-off hitter over to second base. Is this what we want one of our power hitters doing?

Traditionally yes, but Ensberg will not be bunting! Trying to set the table for Berkman & Lee plus get Ensberg more pitches to hit. Scott is the key man here behind Lee...

Bull's-eye
04-01-2007, 05:55 PM
I think we will see Burke in the #2 spot and Ensberg will probably go to the #5 spot behind Lee.

crzyjournalist03
04-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Just to stir the pot again...

Vegas has the over/unders on all teams for their regular season wins...these people usually know what they're talking about...

2007 Astros over/under: 78.5 wins
2007 Rangers over/under: 80.5 wins

Guess the Vegas bookies like the Rangers to have the better season!

g$$
04-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Just to stir the pot again...

Vegas has the over/unders on all teams for their regular season wins...these people usually know what they're talking about...

2007 Astros over/under: 78.5 wins
2007 Rangers over/under: 80.5 wins

Guess the Vegas bookies like the Rangers to have the better season!

I saw this last week. Big deal, I will take that bet. It all comes down to starting pitching & Lidge for the Astros. Offense will be much better.

coach
04-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Both have pitching concerns, but I will take the Astros by a slim margin. Rangers lack pitching depth & will wilt in the Texas heat come late summer as usual. Astros need 1 more quality arm & look out (maybe Clemens come June?). We'll see because the offense is much improved.

i agree with u mostly here and two days ago i would agree wit u 100% but yesturday i saw a stat that said the rangers are one of the best in baseball inplaying in the heat...behind the brave thety are like 20 games over 500 playin in 90 degree weather in the last 5 yrs

g$$
04-03-2007, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by coach
i agree with u mostly here and two days ago i would agree wit u 100% but yesturday i saw a stat that said the rangers are one of the best in baseball inplaying in the heat...behind the brave they are like 20 games over 500 playin in 90 degree weather in the last 5 yrs

Then why do they never finish strong & teams like the Astros do? Stats can be deceiving. Look at their record pre-August, then look from August forward over the past 5 years. Texas seems to limp to the finish line every year. Of course, pitching problems will do that to you.

big daddy russ
04-03-2007, 02:26 AM
I think the Astros make a nice little run this year. An even better one than last year.

Jason Jennings, IMO, is actually an upgrade from Pettitte. He has the stuff to be a true number two. He keeps his pitches down (this is why he was successful at Mile High, also why he's a great fit for MMP) and holds hitters inside the park. With guys like Ensberg and Everett holding down the IF (though Biggio's lost the range he once had), the IF defense makes a perfect fit for Jennings.

Now that he's out of Colorado, maybe we can finally see how much movement Jennings really has on his pitches.

On that note, the number four and five guys in the rotation aren't much to write home about and Astro fans had better hope that Lidge isn't the guy that we saw tonight and have been seeing for the past 18 months. He's the only real closer Houston has, no matter what anyone may think about Wheeler.

As for the Rangers, they're an interesting team. Their rotation is fairly deep, but extremely young. The only guy on the staff that has the stuff to become a true ace is a big, young flyball pitcher playing in a shallow park. I'm very interested to see if Brandon McCarthy can replace Kevin Millwood at the top of the order. If not, that rotation will be VERY average. At best.

They also need to solidify their number five starter. I know Jamey Wright took the job for now, but I'm expecting Kameron Loe to make a run at it before the season's over.

We all know they'll score runs. Hell, they'd score runs if they were playing in Petco Park. Arlington should be nothing.

I'm expecting a HUGE year from Sammy Sosa. He came into camp healthy, cut, and ready to play. Big Spring Training and everyone in the Texas camp has been impressed so far. Plus, he's the DH, taking most of the strain off his body. Wouldn't surprise at all me if he still showed he could hit 35 homers and bat close to .300, especially if he can come up with 500 AB's in this park.

Between Sosa, Texiera, Young, Kinsler, and Blalock, this may be the most deadly offense this side of New York.

Texas' offense will keep in them in the pennant race, but I'm a big believer that you have to have consistency on the mound to finish it out.

MY PREDICTION:
-Rocket signs with best bud Pettitte in New York.
-Neither team makes the playoffs.
-The 'Stros finish closest to the postseason. One game ahead of the Brew Crew and the Phils. One game back from the Cubs for the Wild Card. St. Louis wins the division.
-The Rangers' inconsistency in the 'pen, coupled with Gagne's constant leaves of absences, leads to a late-July meltdown that continues to September. They finish five games behind the Angels, and their inning-eating starters, out in the West for the final playoff spot. Oakland finally falls from grace, finishing below .500.
-The Rangers, however, wind up with the same record as the Astros and pick up the Silver Boot. The records are a little deceiving, however, as the 'Stros play in the tougher division.

crzyjournalist03
08-31-2007, 09:31 AM
If Clemens doesn't end up with the Astros, the Rangers take the better record...The Astros losing Clemens and Pettitte will cost them a few wins. Houston might finish higher in their division and be in contention longer, but the Rangers will have the better won-loss record.

Looks like I was dead on with my preseason prediction...just figured I'd bring it back up since there have been a few threads on Houston's futility this year.