View Full Version : As the SLC Cheer Parents World Turns

kepdawg
03-30-2007, 12:48 AM
Carroll cheer dads want penalty for party

Mom repaid funds used for banquet that didn't include whole squad

09:45 PM CDT on Thursday, March 29, 2007

By LAURIE FOX / The Dallas Morning News
lfox@dallasnews.com

SOUTHLAKE – Two Carroll ISD fathers want the school district to punish a fellow cheerleading parent over money from a fundraiser spent on a banquet that didn't include all of the cheerleaders.

On Thursday, the cheerleading mother who organized the Feb. 24 end-of-year party at Southlake's Timarron Country Club repaid $886 to the district and provided receipts from the event.

Julie Thannum, the district's spokeswoman, said Thursday that based on the advice of its attorneys, the district would not pursue the matter further.

"Our main goal was to account for the money and get repayment," she said.

Attorneys for the school district sought the money this week after two parents hired a forensic accountant to prove that the mother spent some of the squad's fundraising money without permission. Officials said the woman kept the cash from a fall fundraiser in her home safe until it was spent.

District policy states that fundraising money must be deposited into the group's activities account with the district.

The woman, who is not being identified because she has not been charged with a crime, did not return messages for comment.

She told the district she held the party for only some of the cheerleaders because she thought ongoing acrimony within the squad would prevent a party involving all the girls. Some varsity cheerleaders and their parents have been at odds with other squad members and parents for more than a year over flawed tryouts last season.

Parents Mark Mattlage and John Morrow, who commissioned the audit, said they wanted the district to pursue criminal charges against the mother. Not doing so "sends a message about leadership and ethics, or lack thereof," Mr. Mattlage said.

"If you stole a car and gave it back without punishment, there would be no car thieves in jail," he said. "Paying back the money doesn't make her any less guilty."

Mr. Mattlage said he and Mr. Morrow pursued the issue because the squad members were required to take part in the September effort to raise money specifically for a spring cheerleader banquet. But only 11 of the 21 girls – plus their dates and parents – were invited to the banquet.

Officials said that $750 from the fundraiser was deposited into the group's account but that $886 in cash was not. The cash was used for the banquet, officials said.

"I wouldn't have cared if they'd had their own private party, but they used district funds," Mr. Mattlage said. "It's just plain meanness."

Mr. Morrow said the issue isn't about money.

"It's about what we're teaching our kids," he said. "We can't tolerate this kind of behavior."

RiverRat19
03-30-2007, 07:46 AM
That's all worthwhile behavior, isn't it. You have people who have try to do things to put others down to make them fell better about themselves AND others who get mad because someone did something to exclude them and go tattle-tale.

Isn't Carroll ISD near where the actual Southfork Ranch is/was located? Because it sounds like an old episode of "Dallas."

LH Panther Mom
03-30-2007, 07:48 AM
Any woder why there might be acrimony within the squad? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: And who the heck ever actually says acrimony? :D :doh:

Sinton94
03-30-2007, 08:14 AM
Sounds like a made for TV movie:doh:

mustang59
03-30-2007, 08:16 AM
Having been involved with parent organizations for many years I will tell you what that woman did was unauthorized use of funds and she should have charges brought against her. Not to mention what a petty, poor example she set for those kids. Let her be arrested and charged so that MAYBE in the future someone else might think twice about doing this. What the hell is wrong with some parents!!??

Sinton94
03-30-2007, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by mustang59
Having been involved with parent organizations for many years I will tell you what that woman did was unauthorized use of funds and she should have charges brought against her. Not to mention what a petty, poor example she set for those kids. Let her be arrested and charged so that MAYBE in the future someone else might think twice about doing this. What the hell is wrong with some parents!!??

I agree..............it's time too start setting higher standards.

mustang59
03-30-2007, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Sinton94
I agree..............it's time too start setting higher standards.
There had to be other parents involved with planning that banquet who knew what she was doing. That makes them just as guilty. When parents behave like this it's because their focus isn't on the kids or what's best for them. It's all about the parent's egos and power struggles.

Bearkat
03-30-2007, 09:32 AM
Very stupid!!! If you didn't know any better you would think that the cheer squad is what put SLC on the map. The Dragons have been the best football team in the Nation, for the past 5 years and we have to hear about some ignorant parents from a cheer squad. Come on people!!!

mustang59
03-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Bearkat
Very stupid!!! If you didn't know any better you would think that the cheer squad is what put SLC on the map. The Dragons have been the best football team in the Nation, for the past 5 years and we have to hear about some ignorant parents from a cheer squad. Come on people!!!
Fortunately this doesn't reflect badly on the football program or the athletes, just on a small group of parents who've misbehaved.

Phantom Stang
03-30-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Bearkat
The Dragons have been the best football team in the Nation, for the past 5 years
Very true!!
However, there's only so much new stuff that can be said about that.:p

maroonpirate04
03-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Hmmmm another scandal involving cheerleaders in Texas first in Channelview (1991) now Soutlake Carroll (2007)

BuffyMars
03-30-2007, 02:03 PM
:eek: I know a John Morrow from one of the oil companies in Dallas, wonder if its same guy. :thinking:

Figures his kid would go to SLC. :mad:

Oh and a forensic accountant?!?!

http://1001stamps.com/img/CE-G1038/snoopy-laughing_1_std.jpg

BWHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :clap: :clap:

AP Panther Fan
03-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars

Oh and a forensic accountant?!?!

BWHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :clap: :clap:

You know, I thought the same thing!

I know a couple of accountants that probably need a medical examiner to check and make sure they are still alive. ;) :D

Rabbit'93
03-30-2007, 02:12 PM
Let me dig up some info on the Mckinney North HS Drama.

Rabbit'93
03-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Let me dig up some info on the Mckinney North HS Drama. McKinney Cheerleaders, Student Body Under Investigation

POSTED: 2:28 pm CDT October 19, 2006
UPDATED: 3:10 pm CDT October 19, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

MCKINNEY, Texas -- The McKinney Independent School District has hired an independent third party to look into the McKinney North High School cheerleading team and student body after several students were accused of inappropriate conduct.

The team's former coach, Michaela Ward, resigned after claiming administrators undermined her authority to discipline members of the cheerleading team.

Ward said her cheerleaders had some behavorial problems such as skipping classes, being late to practice and even smarting off to teachers. However, the girls' biggest offense was when they posed for a sexually suggestive photograph while wearing their school uniform inside a Condoms To Go store

AP Panther Fan
03-30-2007, 03:02 PM
We have a "constitution" that each cheerleader must sign that clearly states the consequences for a pretty wide variety of offenses...from tardiness to practice to bad behaviour in or out of school.

Both of these schools (in the articles) seem to have issues with standing up to certain parents.

44INAROW
03-30-2007, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93

Ward said her cheerleaders had some behavorial problems such as skipping classes, being late to practice and even smarting off to teachers. However, the girls' biggest offense was when they posed for a sexually suggestive photograph while wearing their school uniform inside a Condoms To Go store

I am sorry, but skipping class, being late to practice, and smarting off to teachers is NOT in the same category as posing for "sexually suggestive" pictures (with or without the school uniform) inside a condom store.

Originally posted by AP Panther Fan

Both of these schools (in the articles) seem to have issues with standing up to certain parents.

Off with their heads I say............. :D :D :D :D

(j/k for anyone without a sense of humor)