PDA

View Full Version : THSCA Hall of Honor - Congrats Coach Reeve

44INAROW
03-29-2007, 11:17 AM
HALL OF HONOR BOUND
Cuero's Reeve to be inducted at coaching school
March 29, 2007 - Posted at 12:00 a.m.
CUERO - Mark Reeve became an Eagle Scout in 1964 and had the opportunity to bring the guest of his choice to the induction banquet in Waco.

Some scouts brought astronauts and one was accompanied by Gov. John Connally. Reeve's guest was Jack Gunlock, the head football coach at Gatesville High School.

"I decided in eighth grade I wanted to be a high school coach," said Reeve, who went on to play for Gunlock at Gatesville.

"My brother was a sophomore in high school and Gatesville had one of the best teams it ever had," Reeve said. "It went 5-0 before there was a party in town and every kid but one on the football team went. After the party, every kid but one was kicked off the team. The team lost the rest of its games and went 5-5 but I never knew another kid on the football team that took a drink during my entire time in high school. It showed me the influence that coaches have."

Reeve never wavered in his desire to become a coach, beginning a 33-year career at Frisco in 1973 and making stops at Pearsall, San Antonio Southwest and San Antonio Clark, where he was the defensive coordinator, before becoming the head coach at Victoria High in 1990 and going on to be the head coach at Plano West and the athletic director and head coach at Cuero in 2003.

Reeve has compiled a 156-31-4 record in his 16 years as a head coach, while forging friendships and creating memories that will last a lifetime.

"I think there have been so many great moments," Reeve said. "Most of all you remember seeing all the good things that happen to the kids and coaches and the relationships you've developed and the good things that have happened in their lives. They become a part of your family and not only for the four to six years you're with them in school, but after they graduate and go on with the rest of their lives."

Reeve's successes on and off the field have not gone unnoticed by his peers and have led to his selection to the Texas High School Coaches Association's Hall of Honor. Reeve will be inducted on Wednesday, Aug. 1, at the Renaissance Worthington Hotel in Fort Worth, at the conclusion of the THSCA's annual coaching school.

"It's really humbling," said Reeve, who will be joined in the Class of 2007 by good friend Mike Honeycutt, Mike Johnston, Jackie Carr and Walter Day. "It's a great compliment to all the kids and coaches I've had a chance to work with. I've been fortunate to be in some great places to work and to work with some great players."

Reeve's record of 87-17-4 at Victoria High, 21-9 at Plano West and 48-5 in his four seasons at Cuero and his teams' numerous trips to the playoffs, two semifinal and one state final appearance are proof his coaching methods are sound, even if a state title has eluded his grasp.

"Winning a state championship has got to be your goal," Reeve said. "If you take a test, your goal has got to be to make a 100. But I think you've always got to be happy with giving your best effort. I never got into coaching to win a state championship. It's never been a motivation but always a goal."

Reeve's motivation comes from his wife, Jan, sons, Travis and Charlie, who are both coaches, his two grandchildren and from the daily interaction with his players and coaches.

Reeve admits there are times when the challenges and pressure of the job begin to wear on him, but all he has to do to bounce back is read a letter from a former player like the one he recently received from Ryan Harris, who played for Reeve at Victoria High and went on to play at the Air Force Academy and is currently serving in Florida.

"You always try to do things to motivate the kids," Reeve said. "When they write you a letter, you want to keep doing the things you're doing. What they give back to you is a lot more rewarding than what you give to them. Sometimes I think I've done this for 33 years and that's enough. But then I get a letter like the one I got from Ryan and it makes you want to go another 10 years."

Mike Forman is a sports writer for the Victoria Advocate. Contact him at 361-580-6588 or mforman@vicad.com, or comment on this column at www.VictoriaAdvocate.com.

kaorder1999
03-29-2007, 11:18 AM
congrats to him!

Gobbler Fan
03-29-2007, 12:00 PM
A great Coach and even better person . :clap: Congratulation's Coach Reeve

GreenMachine
03-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
A great Coach and even better person . :clap: Congratulation's Coach Reeve Agreed!! A-one coach, person, and family. An asset to any high school and community. Glad he and his family are in ours and hope they will be for a long time!

Gobbla2001
03-29-2007, 02:57 PM
Word, Coach Reeve, word...