PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best football coach your school ever had?

gato 76
03-29-2007, 11:00 AM
Bay City best coach had to be Ron Mills.He coached 3 yrs in class 4 a which at the time was the highest class back in the late 70's.But he posted a 105-49 w/l record 20 of those losses came in the ist 3 yrs he was in BC.He posted a 85-24 w/l record when BC made the drop to 3a/which is now 4a.He had made the state finals 2 times ist losing to Mc Kinney 20-7 in the Astrodome,but in 1983 took a jr laden team on his way to 15-0 record beating Lubbock Estacado 30-0 at Austin Memorial Stadium.I know BC has had alot of other good coaches like Warren Trahan,Chad Morris,but i still feel he was the best coach we had.

Txbroadcaster
03-29-2007, 11:04 AM
For MArshall it would have to be

Dennis PArker: led Marshall to state title in 90 and Rodney Southern two straight state final apperances.

Fotbol
03-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Aldine MacArthur's Best Football Coach would be the late Bob Alpert
Marlin High would have to be Jerry Malone!

big daddy russ
03-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Probably either Emory Bellard (coached at Ingleside from 1950 through 1953) or Wayne Wilsher (coached in the early 60's, I know he left after the '64 season). Bellard's name is more recognizable because he went on to gigs as the OC at the University of Texas under Darrell Royal and later became the head coach at A&M, but Wilsher took us to two state title games.

We have a guy in there right now, though, who may wind up being 'the guy' if he sticks around. Neither Bellard nor Wilsher stayed around very long, but both took their teams as far as they could take them (during Bellard's days, the farthest Ingleside could go was to the Regional Championship, and he won two). Hesseltine, however, (the guy in charge now) may stick around longer and has a chance at a longer run at success. He's already taken us to one State Semifinal.

I don't know what kind of talent he has coming through those doors, but if he gets an outstanding class or two somewhere down the line we could see ourselves in an even better spot. Who knows?

HippoBaseball05
03-29-2007, 12:00 PM
I'd have to say our current coach Lee Penland.

Led us to the state championship game in 2005 after not having won a playoff game for 39 years prior to that.

Blastoderm55
03-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Our current coach and athletic director is probably the best this school has ever had. Coach Soza may have only led the football team two rounds deep in each of the past seasons, but he did so without the Brian Bonner, Ervin Dickerson, and Spencer Chaisson talent that his predecessors before him had at their disposal. Meanwhile, every single other athletic program is having success that was never experienced before.

Mark my words, the Trojans will make it past the second round hump in 07. Doesn't matter if its Edcouch-Elsa or Calallen in the way.

Maroon87
03-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Mark my words, the Trojans will make it past the second round hump in 07. Doesn't matter if its Edcouch-Elsa or Calallen in the way.

Hmmm...I smell a wager.:thinking:

Our best coach ever is hands down our current one, Phil Danaher.
He's entering his 24th season, with 23 consecutive playoff appearances and a train car full of wins. Before him, Calallen football wasn't much to talk about.:cool:

Blastoderm55
03-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87

He's entering his 24th season, with 23 consecutive playoff appearances and a train car full of wins. Before him, Calallen football wasn't much to talk about.:cool:

I'll change my name to Cal Allen or Ed Couch if either teams beat Beeville next year. :D

big daddy russ
03-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Our current coach and athletic director is probably the best this school has ever had. Coach Soza may have only led the football team two rounds deep in each of the past seasons, but he did so without the Brian Bonner, Ervin Dickerson, and Spencer Chaisson talent that his predecessors before him had at their disposal. Meanwhile, every single other athletic program is having success that was never experienced before.

Man, those Bonner- and Dickerson-led teams were absolutely LOADED, but it seemed like every win they got was on talent alone. Not much discipline and not much direction.

I agree, Soza's a great coach. Is there another class like those coming through Beeville anytime soon?

SintonFan_inAustin
03-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87

He's entering his 24th season, with 23 consecutive playoff appearances and a train car full of wins. Before him, Calallen football wasn't much to talk about.:cool: Before Danaher it was all GP:doh:

Blastoderm55
03-29-2007, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Man, those Bonner- and Dickerson-led teams were absolutely LOADED, but it seemed like every win they got was on talent alone. Not much discipline and not much direction.

I agree, Soza's a great coach. Is there another class like those coming through Beeville anytime soon?

The Bonner/Dickerson team of 2001 was great because of Chaisson, the boys on the line, and Coach Coleman. When he left, Bonner and Dickerson ended up going 3-7 as seniors. I'm glad they've met their potential at TCU, but the 2007 team will probably be as good as the 2001 team if not better. Not as much size or natural ability, but the boys are disciplined and the seniors have been in Soza's system for four years. The way I look at it, our senior class was in Soza's system for four years when we made state at Mathis. Now, I won't go so far as saying this team will do the same, but they do have a lot of potential. :D

SintonFan_inAustin
03-29-2007, 12:46 PM
The Bonner/Dickerson team of 2001 was great because of Chaisson, the boys on the line, and Coach Coleman. When he left, Bonner and Dickerson ended up going 3-7 as seniors. I'm glad they've met their potential at TCU, but the 2007 team will probably be as good as the 2001 team if not better. Not as much size or natural ability, but the boys are disciplined and the seniors have been in Soza's system for four years. The way I look at it, our senior class was in Soza's system for four years when we made state at Mathis. Now, I won't go so far as saying this team will do the same, but they do have a lot of potential. :D This time the Pirates be the underdogs against the Trojans;)

Adidas410s
03-29-2007, 12:55 PM
For Wylie it's obviously Hugh Sandifer. I couldn't even tell you the names of the previous coaches. The worst coach has to be the one that didn't get Gordon Wood to play football back in the 30's. It's ironic that arguably the greastest coach in Texas schoolboy football history didn't even play hs ball! ;)

Maroon87
03-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
Before Danaher it was all GP:doh:

Yeah we get reminded of that quite a bit. :rolleyes: ;)

Darren
03-29-2007, 01:51 PM
For my time at Giddings I would have to say the best head coach was Jay Warrick. There have been many good coaches that have come through including coach Pete Fredenburg who is now the head coach at UMHB.

I'm not sure if it is just Giddings but we can not seem to keep a good head coach in town. As soon as they prove themselves by going deep into the playoffs they leave for a bigger school and more money.

wildstangs
03-29-2007, 02:02 PM
W.T. Stapler won a state title at Sweetwater in 1985.
Tom Ritchey coached the Mustangs from 1986-1997 while only missing the playoffs one year.

g$$
03-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by gato 76
Bay City best coach had to be Ron Mills.He coached 3 yrs in class 4 a which at the time was the highest class back in the late 70's.But he posted a 105-49 w/l record 20 of those losses came in the ist 3 yrs he was in BC.He posted a 85-24 w/l record when BC made the drop to 3a/which is now 4a.He had made the state finals 2 times ist losing to Mc Kinney 20-7 in the Astrodome,but in 1983 took a jr laden team on his way to 15-0 record beating Lubbock Estacado 30-0 at Austin Memorial Stadium.I know BC has had alot of other good coaches like Warren Trahan,Chad Morris,but i still feel he was the best coach we had.

Mills was a good one no doubt, but he also had some serious talent like Hart Lee Dykes, Simon Fletcher, Billy Dykes, Greg Lakin, etc. BC was very tough in those days for sure (always had talent). Too bad LaBradford "Moose" Smith gave up football to concentrate on bball too!

Best ball coach I ever had was probably Jim Fikes, a disciple of Gordon Wood & old school all the way. Knew his stuff & one strange man to boot. John Scarborough, Melvin Loesch, Doug Reid, & Randy Miksch are other good ones too. Coach Miksch went into administration after a lengthy run as DC & head basketball coach (won state in 1985, then "his" teams won 2 more to make it 3/4 years) so I only had him briefly, but wow, what a coach. He is now Supt. in Sweeny & his dad Leroy was outstanding in his day as well at Needville (Leroy is in the Hall of Honor at A&M in basketball while Randy & brother Ronnie played football at Texas). Good times.

Sweeny's curent football coach & AD is Tommy Zajicek, whom I never played for but a man I respect tremendously. Very smart man & flat gets it done. He has resurrected Sweeny the past 2 years after he returned from administration. He & his staff do a fine job & have my full support.

LH Panther Mom
03-29-2007, 05:52 PM
In the 12 years I've lived here, Jerry Vance has been, hands down, the best head coach. :) I can't answer about "ever". ;)

DDBooger
03-29-2007, 07:17 PM
Mark my words, the Trojans will make it past the second round hump in 07. Doesn't matter if its Edcouch-Elsa or Calallen in the way. http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h303/LilRedPhoenix/no.gifwe hear it all the time ;)

DDBooger
03-29-2007, 07:19 PM
I'll change my name to Cal Allen or Ed Couch if either teams beat Beeville next year. :D good luck! some guy lost a bet and the judge didn't let him change his name to peyton manning

Gp83
03-29-2007, 08:11 PM
The legend Ray Akins for my school