PDA

View Full Version : Bears fan can't change name to Peyton Manning

kepdawg
03-28-2007, 11:57 PM
Judge won't allow Bears fan to change name
Associated Press

DECATUR, Ill. -- Chicago Bears fan Scott Wiese is no Peyton Manning after all.

Macon County Judge Katherine McCarthy ruled this week that Wiese can't legally call himself Peyton Manning because it would be too confusing and might infringe on the privacy of the Indianapolis Colts quarterback.

That's fine by Wiese.

The 26-year-old was only trying to change his name to make good on a bet he lost when the Colts beat the Bears in the Super Bowl.

"I had told the judge that I was not doing this because I wanted to change my name, but I was doing it because I was honoring a bet," Wiese told the Decatur Herald & Review after Monday's ruling. "I think she understood that."

A few days before the February game, Wiese signed a pledge in front of a bar full of people that if the Bears lost, he would change his name to match the Colts player who led Indy to victory.

Manning had a big hand in the Colts' 29-17 victory.

Wiese's parents, Debbie and Steve Wiese, were pleased by the judge's decision.

"Wiese is our family name, and we're proud of it," Debbie Wiese told the Decatur newspaper. "I also didn't want to go through the rest of my life calling my son 'Peyton Manning.'"

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

GreenMonster
03-29-2007, 03:43 AM
welcher. He should have just replaced the "E" in Peyton with an "A" and made good on his bet.

injuredinmelee
03-29-2007, 05:34 AM
the things we do when under the influence of a bar crowd...

Keith7
03-29-2007, 11:23 AM
at least he was going to go thru with his side of the bet.. i applaud him for that :clap: :clap:

44INAROW
03-29-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
at least he was going to go thru with his side of the bet.. i applaud him for that :clap: :clap:
me too - stand-up guy for sure:clap:

piratebg
03-29-2007, 11:26 AM
A man of his word. You really have to admire that. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Txbroadcaster
03-29-2007, 11:28 AM
Or he knew the chances of it working was slim

piratebg
03-29-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Or he knew the chances of it working was slim

I'm thinking he just had that much confidence in the Bears. Every Chicago fan I know was absolutely dead set that they were gonna rip Indy a new one.

Txbroadcaster
03-29-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
I'm thinking he just had that much confidence in the Bears. Every Chicago fan I know was absolutely dead set that they were gonna rip Indy a new one.

Of course but i think he knew the chances of it working would be a long shot. Alot of legal problems could arise for the real Manning if people changed their name to his

BuffyMars
03-29-2007, 11:34 AM
Um, how would it be any different than people having the same names as celebs? Look your name up on imdb, I guarantee there will be some of us that share a name with someone.

We don't hear flack about that! Because that is where SSN's come into play.

Sounds like a cop out to me!

piratebg
03-29-2007, 11:35 AM
Of course but i think he knew the chances of it working would be a long shot. Alot of legal problems could arise for the real Manning if people changed their name to his

True, but we live in a time when a woman can legally change her name to Obi-Wan Kenobi. That happened several years ago way up north if I remember correctly.

Txbroadcaster
03-29-2007, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
Um, how would it be any different than people having the same names as celebs? Look your name up on imdb, I guarantee there will be some of us that share a name with someone.

We don't hear flack about that! Because that is where SSN's come into play.

Sounds like a cop out to me!

If someone is given a name at birth then just is a concidence..BIG difference then someone changing the name on purpose.

For all we know the bet was a scam so someone could change their name to try to milk money off of it. And it has happened before

piratebg
03-29-2007, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
True, but we live in a time when a woman can legally change her name to Obi-Wan Kenobi. That happened several years ago way up north if I remember correctly.

Correction on that. It was in Tucson, AZ. It's at the very bottom of the page.

http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/Movies/9905/19/star.wars.opens/

BuffyMars
03-29-2007, 11:38 AM
If someone is given a name at birth then just is a concidence..BIG difference then someone changing the name on purpose.

For all we know the bet was a scam so someone could change their name to try to milk money off of it. And it has happened before

Ehhh...I still don't see the big deal.

What it Peyton ends up being a crackhead rapist! He may be giving a bad name to the Peyton that changed his name! :tongue:

Txbroadcaster
03-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
Ehhh...I still don't see the big deal.

What it Peyton ends up being a crackhead rapist! He may be giving a bad name to the Peyton that changed his name! :tongue:

You mean a 6'5 crackhead rapist with a laser rocket arm!!!

BuffyMars
03-29-2007, 11:39 AM
You mean a 6'5 crackhead rapist with a laser rocket arm!!!

Hahahaha!!!

Oh yeah, I forgot about the arm. :eek: :eek: :eek: