PDA

View Full Version : Please Give Feedback

smustangs
03-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Me and a small group are conducting a feasebility study for our Technical Writing class. We are studying the feasebility of adding a diverstiy class at Tarleton. PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO FILL OUT THE SURVEY TO HELP US OUT . For those of you not in college just answer as if you were. We have to have a lot of survey answers. Even though none of yall, besides jason and me, dont go to Tarleton please answer. THANKS A LOT

Would you attend a diversity class if it was not mandatory but counted as an elective?

How would you feel if you were required to take a diversity class, do you think it is a good idea?

What topics do you think should be covered in a diversity class?

How would you feel about being required to go to a mandatory seminar instead of a required class?

injuredinmelee
03-29-2007, 12:57 AM
1. No i wouldnt take it unless it was required.

2. I would through a fit. I dont need some liberal professor telling me how i need to feel about anyone. I dont discriminate i hate everyone the same.

3. Respect for the nation that you are a part of. That classifying ourselves in seperate categories such as african american or mexican american only further divides the gap that everyone is so concerned with. Why cant we all just be Americans.

4. Stick your seminar up the deans well you know.

all these answers might seem sarcastic in nature but they are exactly how i feel.

big daddy russ
03-29-2007, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by smustangs
Would you attend a diversity class if it was not mandatory but counted as an elective?

How would you feel if you were required to take a diversity class, do you think it is a good idea?

What topics do you think should be covered in a diversity class?

How would you feel about being required to go to a mandatory seminar instead of a required class?
1. What exactly would we be doing? Hanging out with black people?

If they weren't cool black people, probably not. But if they were cool, then maybe. If they were Mexican, then no. Otherwise, I'd only take it if there was nothing left.

2. Nope. I'm an insensitive bastard when it comes to racial issues.

White people can't play basketball, dance, or play a skill position in football. Black people can't ride in my car 'cause I don't want to get pulled over for no reason. I have outstanding warrants- that wouldn't be good. Mexicans can cook like no other and they start working as soon as Mama pops 'em out, but they're all under five feet tall, just like Asians, and I don't want to be seen walking around with short people.

3. I think a diversity infringes upon my right to hate a large number of people for no good reason. The class shouldn't be allowed to continue.

4. About the same as I feel when I'm told I need to go to a mandatory seminar rather than finish up mandatory work at my job... like I'd be better-served hiding in the boys' room with a few friends and a pack of Camels.

I know I joke around about this stuff a lot, but what are people really going to get out of this class? Will your average, dumb-arse white supremacist ever understand the obstacles that people like WEB DuBois, Booker T. Washington (who's pretty much fallen by the wayside after DuBois threw him under the bus), Frederick Douglass, Nelson Mandela, and MLK overcame? I doubt a class like this will help an 18-year-old overcome his prejudices.

You know, my roommate last summer (who I'm still friends with) had prejudices against everyone except whites. I found the way to change his views was to let him hang out with people of different races.

Our next-door neighbor, who was another one of my best friends in B/CS, was black and him and his wife would come over every weekend when we'd BBQ. The guy was cool as hell. Would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it.

My old roomie got to know him, started becoming friends with him, and his opinion changed drastically from the beginning to the end of the summer.

Furthermore, for those of you who've met my fiancee, she looks white--- could POSSIBLY pass for a Hawaiian--- but DOES NOT look Mexican. Guess what? She's Mexican.

We were all sitting around the couch one night and my boy (old roomie) went on a rant about Mexicans. We let him finish his tirade, let things calm down a bit, then dropped the bomb on him. He was floored, and sometimes embarrassing the crap out of someone is the best medicine for something like that.

Granted, my fiancee and I both keep our emotions on the subject in check extremely well, we just want to know that the class would do some good. IMO, it's a pretty useless class.

PS: Don't get me wrong here. I'm not trying to pick on only white people 'cause there are racist people of every color. I've just experienced it more around white people. I also don't mean to single out races, there are plenty of groups (M/F, etc) you could include in there. On that note, here's my real responses.

1. I'd only take it if there was nothing left.

2. Personally, I don't think it's a good idea. I'm still in the Abe Lincoln mindset--- do your small part and let it die out naturally.

3. I think a history of obstacles that every race has overcome would be a great starting point. Many Native Americans were enslaved and actually considered lower than black slaves back in the day. We don't hear about that a whole lot. Also, the things that African-Americans and true Latin Americans (Spaniards+Aztecs/Mayans/etc.) went through would be good info. A great man once said that knowledge is the most infectious disease out there.

4. I think a seminar would be better than a class. You could cover all the bases in a shorter amount of time and people wouldn't resent the class as much.

WOS87
03-29-2007, 02:26 AM
There should definitely be something required to prevent the very unfortunate train of events that led someone to think that

link --> THIS (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/0125071mlk1.html)

was a good idea. Whether you believe it's harmless or not, it doesn't reflect well on the school.

injuredinmelee
03-29-2007, 04:42 AM
you think that a diversity class would have prevented that? NO FREAKING WAY. People are going to be how they want to be and if they need a professor or a class to tell them how they are supposed to fell then they really arent that sound of mind anyhow are they?