PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a St. Augustine yard that can help me???

kaorder1999
03-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Im having trouble with my yard. I have a brown circle that has a little green grass through out it. I was told it could either be "brown patch" or grub worms. I was told to first sprinkle tide on it and water it in and that would cure the brown patch. Its been a week or so now and no change. What do I do to kill grub worms?

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/kaorder1999/yardcircle.jpg

Keith7
03-28-2007, 04:15 PM
sell it on e-bay I think i see the virgin mary in it

44INAROW
03-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Im having trouble with my yard. I have a brown circle that has a little green grass through out it. I was told it could either be "brown patch" or grub worms. I was told to first sprinkle tide on it and water it in and that would cure the brown patch. Its been a week or so now and no change. What do I do to kill grub worms?

I'll post pics of our back yard - exact same thing - I'll ask Mr44 what he put on it - - our patches were crescent moon shaped

mistanice
03-28-2007, 04:19 PM
I see Jesus' face.

Bullaholic
03-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I'll post pics of our back yard - exact same thing - I'll ask Mr44 what he put on it - - our patches were crescent moon shaped

OMG, run 44INARow---It's the dreaded "outhouse" grass fungi.`

shankbear
03-28-2007, 04:56 PM
Did a UFO land there? Yard mange?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Possibly cutworms or something of that nature, but I'm no botonist.

Spaceman_Spiff
03-28-2007, 05:09 PM
I had the same problem one time...used a granular product called Betasan...watered it in...2 days later, had about a billion grubs on top of the ground...picked the grubs up, sprinkled them on fire ant mounds...betasan killed the grubs...betasan ingested grubs killed the fire ants...

Only problem is...dont think you can buy Betasan anymore... am sure there is something like it available.

mustang59
03-28-2007, 05:37 PM
We have St. Augustine and this looks like the work of grub worms. I'd treat it for that first (it won't hurt anything). Or you might take the picture to a nursery and see what they suggest.

koach55
03-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Buddy you got grubs. Go to Wal Mart and get an insecticide fast. Sevin has a great product but so does ortho. Trust me I know about this.

44INAROW
03-28-2007, 08:28 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j43/44inarow/grassproblems2007001Small.jpg

grub worms, cutworms or outhouse grass fungi?

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j43/44inarow/grassproblems2007003Small.jpg

j_dog
03-28-2007, 09:09 PM
concrete it over, GREEN.

LH Panther Mom
03-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
concrete it over, GREEN. Hahahahaha! :D

lepfan
03-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by mustang59
We have St. Augustine and this looks like the work of grub worms. I'd treat it for that first (it won't hurt anything). Or you might take the picture to a nursery and see what they suggest. Epson salt...sounds crazy, but it works.

Go Cuero
03-28-2007, 10:45 PM
Yep it's grub worms. We had them at our previous house and at that time there was nothing you could buy anymore to get rid of them. We had to have a lawn service come out. They got rid of the ones in our yard. But the neighbors on one side of us never took care of their yard and they had grub worms and they eventually came back. So we finally told them hey ya know those brown spots in your yard..well yeah now they are in our yard again so do something about them.

I had not heard about Epson salt. I'm waiting to see if a couple of spots at our new house are grub worms are just dead spots. If it's grubs, then I'm trying Epson salt.

lepfan
03-29-2007, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Go Cuero
Yep it's grub worms. We had them at our previous house and at that time there was nothing you could buy anymore to get rid of them. We had to have a lawn service come out. They got rid of the ones in our yard. But the neighbors on one side of us never took care of their yard and they had grub worms and they eventually came back. So we finally told them hey ya know those brown spots in your yard..well yeah now they are in our yard again so do something about them.

I had not heard about Epson salt. I'm waiting to see if a couple of spots at our new house are grub worms are just dead spots. If it's grubs, then I'm trying Epson salt. We had friends in Bastrop that had it bad...theyused the Epsom salt and it was amazing the turn around the lawn made. I will ask my husband exactly what they did and let ya know...

Go Cuero
03-30-2007, 09:18 AM
That would be great if you could find out. Thanks. If I can save money by using Epson salt instead of paying True Green I'm all for that.

espn1
03-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Go to Home depot and buy A bag of grub worm killer. It works fast You use a fertilizer spreader to apply it. If you want your yard to take off fast, buy a good fertilizer and a bag of Ironite. Make sure to not let any of The Ironite Granules get wet on your concrete it will leave rust spots(apply and sweep). This will green your yard up quick and solve your problem. Read the instructions on each bag to figure out how many bags you'll need per square feet. Water well and let me know who has the best looking yard in 2 weeks.

espn1
03-30-2007, 09:51 AM
Also for fertilizer and Grub killer I prefer Bayer Products. Just my two cents.

Phantom Stang
03-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999

I seriously see a monkey's face in the circle!

Is there a small tree planted nearby?
Extended periods of shade can have that effect on St. Augustine.

kaorder1999
03-30-2007, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
I seriously see a monkey's face in the circle!

Is there a small tree planted nearby?
Extended periods of shade can have that effect on St. Augustine. I do have a tree but it is TINY right now. No shade from it

T-Time
03-30-2007, 10:14 PM
mummy's feed stores have ground up corn with an insecticide in it. you can also just use corn meal. the grubs will eat but cannot digest the corn and they die.

BILLYFRED0000
03-31-2007, 06:33 PM
I just use green spray paint. Seriously all the grub advice is good.
it does look like grubs too me and I have had ST augustine for 40 years.