PDA

View Full Version : Golf is a great sport!

Phil C
03-28-2007, 04:06 PM
You have opponents but they can't harass you like in football, basketball, baseball, hockey, softball etc. You control your destiny. You have the opportunity to play well and perhaps win.
It is remarkable. A great sport indeed. I like golf even though I never played it much and even then poorly.

Bullaholic
03-28-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm confused, Phil. Mustang04 said golf is not classified as a sport. :confused:

Snyder_TigerFan
03-28-2007, 04:09 PM
Golf and Tennis...hardest sports I ever played.

buff4ever
03-28-2007, 04:12 PM
anyone who has ever said golf isn't a sport either sucks really bad at it, or has never played it. It takes precision eye hand coordination, form, knowledge and touch. Can't get by with just being good at one of the above.

44INAROW
03-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Golf is a great sport indeed! all 3 of my boys play and they are extremely competitive - they have a good time together playing

Phil C
03-28-2007, 04:40 PM
I took it in college. The only problem was that they would count it if you missed the ball or barely hit it on top and it went two inches.

:D

Blastoderm55
03-28-2007, 04:41 PM
SHOW SOME CONSIDERATION FOR COMPETITIVE CYCLING! :mad:

Adidas410s
03-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
Golf and Tennis...hardest sports I ever played.

true...true...

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-28-2007, 05:13 PM
Just got done playing a round at Riverside in San Angelo. Good times, ups and downs but one of my better performances ever. Kudos to me. The thing I love about golf is that every shot is different, every situation is different, you can prepare all you want and practice and there still is such an unknown element to it. You compete against no one but yourself, can't beat it.

coach
03-28-2007, 05:20 PM
i had a friend tell me that golf and track werent sports

Hansum Stranger
03-28-2007, 06:26 PM
I play golf also and don't consider it a sport. It's more competition than sport. Just like Nascar isn't a sport, it's a competition.

jason
03-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Hansum Stranger
I play golf also and don't consider it a sport. It's more competition than sport. Just like Nascar isn't a sport, it's a competition.

Originally posted by buff4ever
anyone who has ever said golf isn't a sport either sucks really bad at it

:D :D :D :D :D

injuredinmelee
03-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Have yall read the Feinstein book "The Majors" ? I am reading it now and cant put it down.

bobcat1
03-28-2007, 06:39 PM
You hit a ball, you keep score and try to win. Pretty much sums it up as a sport for me.

tigerpride_08
03-28-2007, 06:41 PM
yea golf is pretty hard to play...i slice everthing i hit when i do play...:D

carter08
03-28-2007, 06:43 PM
surovik tried to get us to play golf in p.e.

didn't work

Hansum Stranger
03-28-2007, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by jason
:D :D :D :D :D

I admit I suck at it. I just don't see an athlete when I look at people like John Daly.

Adidas410s
03-28-2007, 06:53 PM
I admit I suck at it. I just don't see an athlete when I look at people like John Daly.

and I don't see an athlete when I look at David Wells...or Charles Barkley...or Nate Newton...or... ;)

Adidas410s
03-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Have yall read the Feinstein book "The Majors" ? I am reading it now and cant put it down.

haven't read that. I would recommend his book "Inside the Ropes." It's his chronicle of a behind the scenes look at what went in to getting the Open to Bethpage.

shankbear
03-28-2007, 07:30 PM
If you get hooked on golf, it is over. It is sports crack. When you make improvements it even gets worse. When you think you have found "THE SECRET", it biotch slaps you and brings you back to the ground.

I heard Tiger described as looking like a defensive back. He is cut and has a workout routine second to none.

injuredinmelee
03-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
and I don't see an athlete when I look at David Wells...or Charles Barkley...or Nate Newton...or... ;)

thak you I was about to say the same thing...

bobcat1
03-28-2007, 08:30 PM
and I don't see an athlete when I look at David Wells...or Charles Barkley...or Nate Newton...or...
Hey they are in shape like me........round!

Sir Charles has the ugliest swing I have ever seen! :p

Highschoolfan78
03-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Hey they are in shape like me........round!

Sir Charles has the ugliest swing I have ever seen! :p \

mannn that swing is ugly!! its almost as hard as watching Shaq and free throws

bobcat1
03-29-2007, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by Highschoolfan78
\

mannn that swing is ugly!! its almost as hard as watching Shaq and free throws Dang good comparison right there! :clap: :clap: :clap: :D

injuredinmelee
03-29-2007, 05:31 AM
remember the Lee Iacoca commercial with Snoop Dog? Snoop hs quite possibly the ugliest swing ever!

injuredinmelee
03-29-2007, 05:32 AM
Snoops swing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVTmLFzkjTI)

Hansum Stranger
03-29-2007, 06:43 AM

I think that shows that you don't know what an athlete is ;)

injuredinmelee
03-29-2007, 07:31 AM
I think that shows that you don't know what an athlete is ;)

please do enlighten us all with your wisdom. What exactly is an athlete?

shankbear
03-29-2007, 07:54 AM
Sir Charles' swing looks like he is having a seizure during the swing. It is the worst ever and Snoops is perfect by comparison.

buff4ever
03-29-2007, 07:59 AM
i had a friend tell me that golf and track werent sports

I competed in baseball, golf and track all three for 2 of my 4 years in high school before dropping track. My guess is that your friend is a baseball coach. Tell me if I am right here

Hansum Stranger
03-29-2007, 07:02 PM
please do enlighten us all with your wisdom. What exactly is an athlete?

It's sure not anyone that swings a golf club for a living. Maybe someone like Tiger or Sergio is an athlete, but that's about all. Come on, don't you work on a golf course? You should have a great idea of what an athlete doesn't look like.

bobcat1
03-29-2007, 07:33 PM
remember the Lee Iacoca commercial with Snoop Dog? Snoop hs quite possibly the ugliest swing ever! I'd like to follow him and Barkley one day to watch that. LMAO!!!!!!

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-29-2007, 11:37 PM
I think golf requires a certain athleticism that some sports don't require, I mean it takes an incredible sense of balance, hand eye coordination, finese, and power. How many people have you met that aren't athletes that have the coordination to be a successful golfer? I'm not talking about most of the drunk fat guys that get out there and play like crap but guys who can really play and play well consistantly. Also if you are going to walk 18 holes or 36 holes in a day you have to be in pretty good shape. So are average everyday golfers really athletes, maybe not but you can say the same thing for most average football, basketball or baseball players that play in high school. Alot are there to take up space around the real athletes. I think to play competative golf it does take an athlete. I mean I play intramural softball, basketball, and football with alot of guys that definitly aren't athletes but that get out there and play decently, doen't mean they are real competative. That's just my opinion and I'm an athlete that plays golf all the time.

kepdawg
03-29-2007, 11:39 PM
I like golf! ;)

http://www.scigolf.com/scigolf/hammyputter/images/gulbis.jpg

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-29-2007, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I like golf! ;)

http://www.scigolf.com/scigolf/hammyputter/images/gulbis.jpg

:clap: There's an athlete.

DU_stud04
03-29-2007, 11:43 PM
question. how far is the farthest you've hit with a sandwedge?

went to the driving range last night and for some odd reason, i started off hitting on the green 150 out then my friend told me to try for the 200 and suprisingly, i nudged over the 200 flag. yes, it was all in the air and looked like a good hit the 3 times i hit it out that way.

is this normal or should i be happy with my sandwedge hitting ability.

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-29-2007, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
question. how far is the farthest you've hit with a sandwedge?

went to the driving range last night and for some odd reason, i started off hitting on the green 150 out then my friend told me to try for the 200 and suprisingly, i nudged over the 200 flag. yes, it was all in the air and looked like a good hit the 3 times i hit it out that way.

is this normal or should i be happy with my sandwedge hitting ability.

I have a 52 degree wedge that I can hit nearly 200 if I take a full swing, which is about 30 yards farther than my 7 iron. I'm a freak with wedges like that.

DU_stud04
03-29-2007, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
I have a 52 degree wedge that I can hit nearly 200 if I take a full swing, which is about 30 yards farther than my 7 iron. I'm a freak with wedges like that. ok, good..... the sand wedge was quickly becoming one of my favorite clubs yesterday, i had never had to use one before, just my pitching wedge, so i didnt know how far sand wedges usually do you in for.

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-29-2007, 11:52 PM
Yeah but if I swing that hard I have no control, I lose accuracy if I hit over about 150.

DU_stud04
03-29-2007, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
Yeah but if I swing that hard I have no control, I lose accuracy if I hit over about 150. i didnt :D but then again, i only tried to hit it out that way 3 times. then went back for the net-basket i was originally aiming for.

garageoffice
03-30-2007, 12:05 AM
In my opinion, you can safely count golf as a sport. However, because everyone plays against the exact same challenges and the requirements are primarily consistency and control, it is a sport that the average man can participate in more readily than some. Strength, agility, and speed are not required to play, but the muscular development and body control that contribute to them certainly help.

I've seen plenty of guys at the local gym playing basketball that I wouldn't consider athletes. Go back just a few years and look at major league pitchers. They could throw a baseball, but most of them didn't do much to keep in shape.

If you want to consider something a sport only if it requires specialized athletes, that's a pretty narrow view. IMHO, most activities that involve competition judged against a specific physical goal and scoring, require the development of physical skills, and where performance can be enhanced by physical training and practice qualify as sports.