PDA

View Full Version : Watch your step

44INAROW
03-28-2007, 03:54 PM
my mom rec'd some sad news yesterday - the below is about a dear friend of hers from Monroe La (where she grew up) - alot of the jokes I forward to LHPM, RangerMom, APPantherFan and Pirate4State, came from Robert.. Rest in Peace - Robert III

"Descendant of local newspaper founder dies in accidental fall
By Greg Hilburn
ghilburn@thenewsstar.com

Robert Ewing III of Monroe, whose grandfather founded the Monroe Morning World in 1929, died in an accidental fall Tuesday.

Funeral services for Ewing are incomplete under the direction of Mulhearn Funeral Home in Monroe.

Ewing, 71, died from injuries suffered when he fell down a freight elevator shaft at Security Storage and Mini Warehouses. Monroe police have determined that it was an accident.

Ewing worked at the Morning World and The New-Star, which Col. Robert Ewing bought in 1930, in the 1960s and 1970s. His father Wilson Ewing was editor and publisher of the Morning World from 1938-52.

His family sold the newspapers to Gannett on June 16, 1977. The two papers consolidated on Aug. 4, 1980 as The News-Star-World. The name was changed to The News-Star on May 22, 1988.

CHS_CG
03-28-2007, 03:58 PM
That is terrible. I am so sorry Lorey!

pirate4state
03-28-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend. :(

Go Cuero
03-28-2007, 10:53 PM
So sorry to hear about your mom's friend.

I never knew she was from that area. My husband family is from that area. He was born in Ruston. They all live in the Ferriday/Natchez area now.