PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News on Billy G....

Funk-d-fied
03-28-2007, 03:31 PM
http://www.aggiesports.com/breakingnews/032807b.php

Texas A&M University Interim President Eddie Davis told The Eagle on Wednesday that head basketball coach Billy Gillispie plans to remain in Aggieland.

“I talked to Coach Gillispie this morning and he told me that as far as he’s concerned, he’s the coach at Texas A&M,” Davis said. “That’s the end of the story for me.”

Davis declined to detail what offer has been extended to Gillispie. A&M System Board of Regents are scheduled to consider his contract in closed session Thursday and then vote on it Friday.

The Houston Chronicle, citing unnamed sources within and close to the A&M system, reported online Wednesday that Gillispie the contract will be “in the neighborhood of $2 million a year,” including guarantees added to the deal that runs through 2012. He currently is paid $1.2 million. The Chronicle said Gillispie has not confirmed any deal has been made.

Davis said Gillispie will be provided with “competitive compensation, world class facilities, academic programs that will be attractive to and for his players, and he will be provided with a great deal of support and love.”

Gillispie and athletic director Bill Byrne, who repeatedly have said in recent days that they will not comment on rumors about other universities making possible coaching offers to Gillispie, could not immediately be reached for comment Wednesday.

Regent John White told The Eagle early Wednesday afternoon that he doesn’t know “one way or the other” about the Gillispie situation.

“Actually, I’m in the car on the way to College Station for the board meeting and was about to get updated on this issue, as well as others,” White said. “We plan on talking about Coach Gillispie’s contract once in executive session tomorrow.”

He described the regents’ relationship with Gillispie as “great.”

“We’re counting on him staying,” White said. “I can’t speak with any unimpeachable authority about what’s being discussed or what has not been discussed with the coach right now. I haven’t discussed it with anyone.

“Ultimately, we all have confidence in Bill Bryne and [Interim President] Eddie Davis that they are doing their jobs on this issue.”

Davis confirmed that Byrne is spearheading the deal with Gillispie, but added that he’s “very much in agreement with what Bill has proposed to coach.”

Rumors about Gillispie possibly leaving for the same position at the University of Arkansas exploded Monday afternoon when the men’s basketball coach in Fayetteville, Stan Heath, was fired following a five-year stint.

A&M recruit Nathan Walkup told The Eagle on Tuesday that he was contacted by Gillispie and assistant coach Jeremy Cox after the Arkansas story broke, and was reassured by Gillispie that he was staying at A&M, “not to worry about the rumors.”

Walkup, a 6-foot-6 Deer Park High School standout said the coach made him feel “real confident.”

Davis said he wasn’t surprised by the Gillispie mania.

“He’s done a remarkable job,” Davis said. “He’s a terrific fit for Texas A&M and we truly want him to stay.”

Adidas410s
03-28-2007, 03:35 PM
the middle of this thread has the H/C paper saying the same thing... :)

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62161

Funk-d-fied
03-28-2007, 03:35 PM
still not a sure thing but what the hey...

Phil C
03-28-2007, 03:39 PM
That is good news. I am a UT fan but still would prefer him staying at A&M. He has done too good there to leave.

Funk-d-fied
03-28-2007, 03:39 PM
Good Luck tonight Phil in softball, im gonna be watching1

Adidas410s
03-28-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
That is good news. I am a UT fan but still would prefer him staying at A&M. He has done too good there to leave.

Definitely...sure would hate to see him leave. Even though they aren't my favorites...it was still fun rooting on the Ags in the tourney this year.

DaHop72
03-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
sure would mate to see him leave. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Phil C
03-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Funk-d-fied
Good Luck tonight Phil in softball, im gonna be watching1

Thanks Funk-d-fined. I will be watching too. It should be a great game. Both teams should be shoo ins to get into the playoffs.

CHS_CG
03-28-2007, 03:57 PM
sure would mate to see him leave. .

YOU WOULD?:thinking:

Keith7
03-28-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm not buying this

Adidas410s
03-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
of course you stop by just to post that ;)

DaHop72
03-28-2007, 04:01 PM
of course you stop by just to post that ;) :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :thumbsup:
Oh deer!!

Phil C
03-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :thumbsup:
Oh deer!!

:D :clap: