PDA

View Full Version : Running over the catcher

eagles_victory
03-28-2007, 01:47 PM
i know in many leagues its illegal including high school but what are your thoughts on it

1. An aggressive baserunning play
or
2. A dirty play

pirate4state
03-28-2007, 01:48 PM
#1 - get out of the way catcher!!! :mad: and if you won't get out of the way I'm gonna have to run right at ya!!

Phil C
03-28-2007, 01:49 PM
It depends on whether the catcher is in the way or not doesn't it. I don't think one should do a cheap shot and run over the catcher but sometimes one doesn't have a choice if the catcher is in front of the plate trying to block the runner.

piratebg
03-28-2007, 01:53 PM
If you are blocking the plate, than expect to get hit. Plane and simple.

Black_Magic
03-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
i know in many leagues its illegal including high school but what are your thoughts on it

1. An aggressive baserunning play
or
2. A dirty play Its is simple.. If your going to block the baseline then your gona get trucked. if you dont want that to happen then move to the side and tag as they go by.

Maroon87
03-28-2007, 01:58 PM
I ran over the catcher once in Little League and he was unconscious for several minutes.:eek:

It's just part of baseball.

big daddy russ
03-28-2007, 02:00 PM

That's the best play in all of baseball.

Reds fan
03-28-2007, 02:05 PM
If the catcher has the ball the baserunner must make the attempt to slide. If the catcher does not have possesion of the ball the catcher must not block the plate, obstruction would be the call, baserunner has the right to the basepath. In both cases the runner has no right to purposely run over the catcher. This applies to HIgh School and lower classification ball.

Bullaholic
03-28-2007, 02:11 PM
There is a big difference between running "by" the catcher and "over" the catcher. If the runner tries to intentionally hurt the catcher with a savage hit in trying to score---that is out of line---especially in those instances where the runner is a lot bigger than the catcher. If the intent is to score---fine, if the intent is to hurt--never. BTW---I have seen games where it is the other way around and the catcher tries to injure the runner with a savage tag , and that's not right either.

Adidas410s
03-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
If the catcher has the ball the baserunner must make the attempt to slide. This applies to HIgh School and lower classification ball.

The baserunner does NOT have to attempt to slide. He has multiple options:

1) slide
2) give up
3) go back towards the previous base

NOWHERE in the rules does it say that he must slide.

Reds fan
03-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

NOWHERE in the rules does it say that he must slide. [/B]
I think you got the gist of what I was saying. I was not QUOTING the RULES. Avoiding the collision is the goal.

coach
03-28-2007, 02:29 PM
this is a board of mainly football posters who love contact and im sure yall will say its not a dirty play but it realy just depends on the situation...for nistance...if the catcher has the ball and its going to be a bang bang play then yes you should be able to run over him....but if the catcher is trying to catch the ball of dosent have the ball in his hand is blocking the plate there is a such slide called a sweep slide that allows you to slide around him and swipe the plate with youf hand...but by all means the dirtiest oplay in baseball is when the runner goes in feet first intending to cleet the opposing player (ty cobb)......this is just my oppinion and im sure there are some ppl out there who totally disagrees with me but thats them..

Bullaholic
03-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by coach
this is a board of mainly football posters who love contact and im sure yall will say its not a dirty play but it realy just depends on the situation...for nistance...if the catcher has the ball and its going to be a bang bang play then yes you should be able to run over him....but if the catcher is trying to catch the ball of dosent have the ball in his hand is blocking the plate there is a such slide called a sweep slide that allows you to slide around him and swipe the plate with youf hand...but by all means the dirtiest oplay in baseball is when the runner goes in feet first intending to cleet the opposing player (ty cobb)......this is just my oppinion and im sure there are some ppl out there who totally disagrees with me but thats them..

I think we both said the same thing, coach---yours was just a more "informed" way of saying it.

coach
03-28-2007, 02:33 PM
lol we prolly did i didnt read everyone's post i just saw the thread and posted my thoughts without looking at anyone's comments so sorry if i stole anything

Bullaholic
03-28-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by coach
lol we prolly did i didnt read everyone's post i just saw the thread and posted my thoughts without looking at anyone's comments so sorry if i stole anything

On the contrary---you made a much better post than mine---and I am glad---because you obviously know your baseball. If you can't put the ball under your arm and run with it---I don't understand. :D

Adidas410s
03-28-2007, 02:46 PM
I agree with coach on this issue. There are 3 instances where it is/isn't a good thing to run over the catcher:

1. OK to run him over in a "bang bang" situation.
2. NOT ok (IMO) to run him over when you know you are going to be tagged out.
3. NOT ok to run him over when you know that you will easily score. This is just a cheapshot and a dirty play.

g$$
03-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
The baserunner does NOT have to attempt to slide. He has multiple options:

1) slide
2) give up
3) go back towards the previous base

NOWHERE in the rules does it say that he must slide.

The only league where you can flatten the catcher is pro baseball, period. It is illegal now in college & high school ball too. Same with other bases - runner must go directly into bag & not take anybody out (like at 2nd base on double play). Rule is for safety. When I played in college, you could take people out on the bases, but not anymore.

Called Malicious Intent Rule: contact can occur if it is incidental & runner is trying to avoid contact in the eyes of the umpire. Judgement call for sure. Catcher is also not to block plate without the ball, but runner still can't run over him. Obstruction would be called & runner is safe, but runner still cannot run over him. Technically, runner can be called safe & then ejected if deemed necessary. Hope that helps.

In pro ball, whole different deal. Everybody is fair game.

g$$
03-29-2007, 04:34 PM
ttt...

GreenMonster
03-29-2007, 04:46 PM
As an old catcher here are my thoughts on the matter.

I'm all for it. I know going in that home plate is my baby and I'm going to place my body 3 ft up the 3rd base line and directly in the line of traffic to protect my baby. I also know that as soon as I have that ball in my grasp I am no longer in a defensive position. I am on the attack and I plan to hit you harder than you plan to hit me mainly so that you feel more of the after effects than I will.

g$$
03-29-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster

I'm all for it. I know going in that home plate is my baby and I'm going to place my body 3 ft up the 3rd base line and directly in the line of traffic to protect my baby. I also know that as soon as I have that ball in my grasp I am no longer in a defensive position. I am on the attack and I plan to hit you harder than you plan to hit me mainly so that you feel more of the after effects than I will.

I understand your thoughts, & I agree with you if you are playing pro baseball. The rules are now different for hs & college. Too many kids do not know the rules now because of what they see on Sportscenter. I saw a kid get ejected the other day in a sophomore game because he ran over the catcher (who held onto the ball anyway). The fans did not know either & started yelling, etc. All I am saying is the rules are in place so we have to live with it.

GreenMonster
03-29-2007, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I understand your thoughts, & I agree with you if you are playing pro baseball. The rules are now different for hs & college. Too many kids do not know the rules now because of what they see on Sportscenter. I saw a kid get ejected the other day in a sophomore game because he ran over the catcher (who held onto the ball anyway). The fans did not know either & started yelling, etc. All I am saying is the rules are in place so we have to live with it.

Those are good rules too. Baseball was never intended to include physical contact between players on any level other than a tag.

Phantom Stang
03-29-2007, 05:50 PM
Ironically, while running over the catcher is forbidden in HS and College ball....
It's permitted in Pony League youth baseball.

Rabbit'93
03-29-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

That's the best play in all of baseball. Actually it's not. A grand slam is.

g$$
03-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Ironically, while running over the catcher is forbidden in HS and College ball....
It's permitted in Pony League youth baseball.

Wow. That is the only one I know of then other than pro ball of course (are you sure it is allowed?). Why is it allowed there in Pony League, & what in the heck is that teaching kids as they progress towards hs ball?

g$$
03-29-2007, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

That's the best play in all of baseball.

I'll go with the triple...most exciting play in baseball to me.

GreenMonster
03-29-2007, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I'll go with the triple...most exciting play in baseball to me. AMEN to that.

tigerpride_08
03-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
If you are blocking the plate, than expect to get hit. Plane and simple.

i like that explanation...

g$$
03-29-2007, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
i like that explanation...

Automatic ejection if you run over the catcher in hs or college ball. Contact is supposed to be avoided if possible. I would not recommend you doing that if you want to stay in the game for the Tigers!

tigerpride_08
03-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Automatic ejection if you run over the catcher in hs or college ball. Contact is supposed to be avoided if possible. I would not recommend you doing that if you want to stay in the game for the Tigers!

haha no if the situation if came up in the game where that would happen to occur, i know better...last year had the perfect chance to against Palacios but i just slid as hard as i could and the catcher stilled blocked it good...

3afan
03-29-2007, 07:50 PM
NFHS rules are simple - any malicious contact (in the umpires judgement) is an out and automatic ejection ..... I only had to eject a player once, a girl from Ennis bowled over a pitcher from Red Oak covering home ----- easy call

3afan
03-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster

times have changed ..............if you block the plate (or any base) without the ball then thats obstruction ... can't do it. well you can, but if the ump calls it then you are basically giving the runner the base

neck_06
03-29-2007, 07:54 PM
running over the catcher is part of the game. its one of the many things that makes baseball great. i don't think its dirty at all.

neck_06
03-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
times have changed ..............if you block the plate (or any base) without the ball then thats obstruction ... can't do it. well you can, but if the ump calls it then you are basically giving the runner the base

i think thats bull too.....but i guess if you can't run them over, then they can't block it.

tigerpride_08
03-29-2007, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
running over the catcher is part of the game. its one of the many things that makes baseball great. i don't think its dirty at all.

i think the only thing that really makes it dirty sometimes is when the players actually lead with an elbow...seen that on a few MLB highlights before...but you almost really have to lean into it to knock out the ball...

neck_06
03-29-2007, 07:58 PM
i think the only thing that really makes it dirty sometimes is when the players actually lead with an elbow...seen that on a few MLB highlights before...but you almost really have to lean into it to knock out the ball...

i don't know about you, but if i'm going to run into someone who is full of pads.......i'm not just going in straight up.

tigerpride_08
03-29-2007, 08:01 PM
i don't know about you, but if i'm going to run into someone who is full of pads.......i'm not just going in straight up.

well you have a better chance to knock over a catcher then me right about now...:)

neck_06
03-29-2007, 08:04 PM
well you have a better chance to knock over a catcher then me right about now...:)

nah, cuz i will never see the basepaths again.....so i think you've got a better chance.

tigerpride_08
03-29-2007, 08:07 PM
nah, cuz i will never see the basepaths again.....so i think you've got a better chance.

if i do it, coach might not let me see the basepaths again either...:eek:

DU_stud04
03-29-2007, 09:33 PM
summer league in 8th grade i was catcher...someone tried to run me over.... it was hilarious cause they fell straight to the ground and i didnt budge. it was great :D

Phantom Stang
03-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Wow. That is the only one I know of then other than pro ball of course (are you sure it is allowed?). Why is it allowed there in Pony League, & what in the heck is that teaching kids as they progress towards hs ball?
Here is a link to the Pony rules:
http://www.pony.org/files/home/63600%20ponyboysr&r_07-lr.pdf

They pretty much follow MLB rules, except for the use of batting tees, pitching machines, and "coach pitchers" for younger kids. They also have less innings, which varies among the different age groups, as well as a 10 run mercy rule.

For the record, I'm against running over the catcher in the youth leagues.

Diocletian
03-30-2007, 12:27 AM
my opinion is to just let the rules stay as they've allways been written... there is no need to change how the game is played especialy for baseball

if a kid is playing catcher he knows what's in store for him..... and if a kid is tagging to home he also knows what's in store for him

so just let the kids decide it's more fun that way then making them do one thing or the other