PDA

View Full Version : Peace man, Peace.

BuffyMars
03-28-2007, 11:15 AM
San Francisco passes plastic-bag ban By LISA LEFF
2 hours, 5 minutes ago

SAN FRANCISCO - City leaders approved a ban on plastic grocery bags after weeks of lobbying on both sides from environmentalists and a supermarket trade group. San Francisco would be the first U.S. city to adopt such a rule if Mayor Gavin Newsom signs the ban as expected.

ADVERTISEMENT

The law, approved 10-1, requires large markets and drug stores to offer customers bags made of paper that can be recycled, plastic that breaks down easily enough to be made into compost, or reusable cloth.

San Francisco supervisors and supporters said that by banning the petroleum-based sacks, blamed for littering streets and choking marine life, the measure would go a long way toward helping the city earn its green stripes.

"Hopefully, other cities and states will follow suit," said Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi, who crafted the ban after trying to get a 15-cent per bag tax passed in 2005.

The 50 grocery stores that would be most affected by the law argued that the ban was not reasonable because plastic bags made of corn byproducts are a relatively new, expensive and untested product. Some said they might offer only paper bags at checkout.

"I think what grocers will do now that this has passed is, they will review all their options and decide what they think works best for them economically," said David Heylen, a spokesman for the California Grocers Association.

Newsom supported the measure. The switch is scheduled to take effect in six months for grocery stores and in one year for pharmacies.

Craig Noble, a spokesman for the Natural Resources Defense Council, said it would be disappointing if grocers rejected the biodegradable plastic bag option, since more trees would have to be cut down if paper bag use increases.

The new breed of bags "offers consumers a way out of a false choice, a way out of the paper or plastic dilemma," Noble said.

-------------------------

I for one, LOVE it! Being that close to the coast, I think this will be a tremendous help (I am thinking animals of course). And it will support recycling! :D

pirate4state
03-28-2007, 11:16 AM
those plastic bags make great trash bags

Snyder_TigerFan
03-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
The new breed of bags "offers consumers a way out of a false choice, a way out of the paper or plastic dilemma," Noble said.

That's one reason I hate going to the grocery store....I hate facing that dilemma.:rolleyes: I can't ever decide.

Blastoderm55
03-28-2007, 11:20 AM
Sure do. They're great for the can near the can. :D

I say the markets just go warehouse style and not even offer bags. That'll shut 'em up.

Ranger Mom
Originally posted by pirate4state
those plastic bags make great trash bags

I just wish Walmart bags were green...at least when they blew in the trees around West Texas....they might actually look like leaves...kinda sorta, in a way maybe??:confused:

kaorder1999
i havent seen a paper bag at any grocery store in years!

Gobbla2001
03-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I just wish Walmart bags were green...at least when they blew in the trees around West Texas....they might actually look like leaves...kinda sorta, in a way maybe??:confused:

y'all have trees out there :confused:

Blastoderm55
03-28-2007, 11:22 AM
I know H-E-B likes to think of them as a myth, but they've got them.

Gobbla2001
03-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
That's one reason I hate going to the grocery store....I hate facing that dilemma.:rolleyes: I can't ever decide.

Gobbla2001 thinks this reply is boiling over with sarcasm... he likes

Ranger Mom
03-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i havent seen a paper bag at any grocery store in years!

My boss won't use anything BUT paper bags.

I brought one home last week for my cats to play in.....they had a blast!!:)

Gobbla2001
03-28-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
I know H-E-B likes to think of them as a myth, but they've got them.

"Excuse me, can you place my groceries in paper bags?"

"Yah, then we'll get Bigfoot to carry it out for you, bwahaha"...

they're so rude...

pirate4state
03-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
"Excuse me, can you place my groceries in paper bags?"

"Yah, then we'll get Bigfoot to carry it out for you, bwahaha"...

they're so rude...

ROFL!