PDA

View Full Version : IS GRAHAM HARREL FROM ENNIS A BETTER QB OR STEPHEN MCGEE FROM BURNET

MARLINFAN
10-11-2003, 07:27 PM
FROM EXPERINCE I WOULD SAY ITS A EVEN TIE. BOTH CAN THROW ,RUN, BREAK TACKLES AND ARE STRONG. IF I WAS TO PICK THE BEST 1 FROM MY PICK I WOULD SAY THAT I LIKE THE WAY THAT MCGEE PLAYED OVER GRAHAM HARREL. NOW I GOT ANOTHER QUESTION IS NUMBER 11 FROM ENNIS JARVIS WOODSON OR JORDAN SHIPLEY FROM BURNET BETTER

LH Panther Mom
10-11-2003, 07:31 PM
Sorry, I can't speak about Ennis players, since I'm not even sure what their record is, much less have I seen them play. I have seen McGee & Shipley; not sure if McGee would be putting up quite the numbers if Shipley wasn't there. Anyone that can smash state records the way Shipley did last night is probably the best, though.

3afan2K3
10-11-2003, 07:44 PM
Gram has had WAY harder competition, I would say Harrel

Gobbla2001
10-11-2003, 07:59 PM
I'd say McGee and Harrel are about equal... Of course Harrel's dad being a coach might have helped him grow a lot faster as a QB and may be a little smarter at the position... Just my take...

espn1
10-11-2003, 08:09 PM
Gobbla2001:
I'd say McGee and Harrel are about equal... Of course Harrel's dad being a coach might have helped him grow a lot faster as a QB and may be a little smarter at the position... Just my take...McGees father is a coach also. This topic could be debated from now on out, but A&M believes McGee to be the better choice.

MARLINFAN
10-11-2003, 08:20 PM
WELL DIDT OU AND MIAMI TAKE HARREL AS THE BEST

espn1
10-11-2003, 08:32 PM
MARLINFAN:
WELL DIDT OU AND MIAMI TAKE HARREL AS THE BESTThat's my point! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

BurnetBandRules
10-11-2003, 09:35 PM
Why does it matter how hard the competetion? I mean, who has the records? Who is in all the papers for an awesome matchup between he and Shipley? Who was recruited by A&M? Their both good players, I'm sure! Do we HAVE to compare? Just wondering....

holdem
10-11-2003, 11:09 PM
Both are athletic coach's kids with a passion for being successful on the field. I think McGee is faster and has a more athletic build(I don't know how his knee injury last year effected his speed or mobility, but I hope he's had a full recovery).
Both will find the "Pro-I 5 step drops" in college unchallenging.
If McGee attends A&M, he'll work in nicely for what they're trying to build. If Harrell goes to Texas Tech, they officially become QB University.

I guess I give Harrell the nod right now because he's won a state championship, but McGee may even things up by mid-December.

Rabbit'93
10-11-2003, 11:21 PM
BurnetBandRules:
Why does it matter how hard the competetion? I mean, who has the records? Who is in all the papers for an awesome matchup between he and Shipley? Who was recruited by A&M? Their both good players, I'm sure! Do we HAVE to compare? Just wondering....It matters because Harrel has huge numbers against better schools than Burnet has played. Shipley has the records not Mcgee. As far as the papers go...it might be your neck of the woods that McGee is in because I have yet to see his name in the DFW area paper.

You can't get offended when someone says that a player might be better than your hometown boy. There is a big ol' state out there with plenty of talented kids that get recruited by better schools than A&M. Be objective once in a while.

espn1
10-12-2003, 04:30 AM
Rabbit'93:

BurnetBandRules:
Why does it matter how hard the competetion? I mean, who has the records? Who is in all the papers for an awesome matchup between he and Shipley? Who was recruited by A&M? Their both good players, I'm sure! Do we HAVE to compare? Just wondering....It matters because Harrel has huge numbers against better schools than Burnet has played. Shipley has the records not Mcgee. As far as the papers go...it might be your neck of the woods that McGee is in because I have yet to see his name in the DFW area paper.

You can't get offended when someone says that a player might be better than your hometown boy. There is a big ol' state out there with plenty of talented kids that get recruited by better schools than A&M. Be objective once in a while.Who do you think gets the ball to Shipley????????????????

Rivals 100
Stephen McGee 4 star rating 4th in the nation prostyle QB
6’4”/210/4.5
RR 5.9
6.0-5.8 All-American Candidate; high-major prospect; considered one of the nation's top 200 prospects; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team

Graham Harrel 3 star rating 10th in the nation prostyle QB
6’2”/183/4.7
RR 5.7
5.7-5.5 All-Region Selection; considered among the region's top prospects and among the top 500 or so prospects in the country; high-to-mid-major prospect; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team

3afan
10-12-2003, 05:46 AM
rivals 100 is just another opinion ............... lets just call 'em equal in HS then ask the question again in a few years

espn1
10-12-2003, 09:57 AM
3afan:
rivals 100 is just another opinion ............... lets just call 'em equal in HS then ask the question again in a few yearsRivals100.com has assembled the top team of recruiting analysts in the nation with both national and regional experts based all throughout the country. With those strengths, players at a number of different positions will be ranked once a month from June until February.

The rankings are compiled after countless hours of film evaluation, personal observations and input from professional, college and high school coaches.

In the finished product, players are ranked a number of different ways but the most important ways are numerically by position, qualitatively by stars and a new ranking system that grades players on the expected impact they will make in college.

Players are ranked numerically on a national level at their positions. The numerical ranking at each position varies depending on the depth of the talent at the position.

Players are also ranked on their quality with a star ranking. A five-star prospect is considered to be one of the nation?s top 25-30 players, four star is a top 150-200 player, three-stars is a top 550 level player, two stars means the player is a mid-major prospect and one star means the player is not ranked.

olddawggreen
10-13-2003, 09:03 AM
LH Panther Mom, I believe Coach Shipley was quoted recently in The Austin American Statesman as saying that one of the reasons that Jordon has been able to get close to breaking the state records is because of MaGee's ability to get the ball to him. Im not taking anything away from Jordon, hes incredable both on and off the field, but a great reciever can't do much with out a quater back that can get the ball to him. MaGee and Shiply have been an awsome team!

tomthall
10-13-2003, 10:33 AM
it's both, their an awesome combination plain and simple. we don't know who is a better qb until they play head to head with the same caliber of receivers against a tough defense for both teams.

dontknowitall
10-13-2003, 12:45 PM
saw them both in the elite 11 camp. mcgee seemed to be the better all-around qb. harrell was having trouble with the dropback drills. kept stumbling over his feet. harrell's numbers are higher because coachdad leaves him in to run up the stats (which may get his head ripped off from angry opponents). check boxscores and look who is throwing tds with a huge lead late in the game. that being said, harrell could thrive in the texas tech system and become a great qb. but like my name says.....

3afan
10-13-2003, 01:22 PM
espn1:

3afan:
rivals 100 is just another opinion ............... lets just call 'em equal in HS then ask the question again in a few yearsRivals100.com has assembled the top team of recruiting analysts in the nation with both national and regional experts based all throughout the country. With those strengths, players at a number of different positions will be ranked once a month from June until February.

The rankings are compiled after countless hours of film evaluation, personal observations and input from professional, college and high school coaches.

In the finished product, players are ranked a number of different ways but the most important ways are numerically by position, qualitatively by stars and a new ranking system that grades players on the expected impact they will make in college.

Players are ranked numerically on a national level at their positions. The numerical ranking at each position varies depending on the depth of the talent at the position.

Players are also ranked on their quality with a star ranking. A five-star prospect is considered to be one of the nation?s top 25-30 players, four star is a top 150-200 player, three-stars is a top 550 level player, two stars means the player is a mid-major prospect and one star means the player is not ranked.ok fine - in the end its still just someone's opinion. just like all the polls. i'm not saying anyone is not as good as someone else or anyhting like that, but recruiting services are what they are. if you want to think mcgee is better than harrell just because on 1 web site he has 4 stars vs. 3 stars then so be it. but in the end - i'll say it again - its just another opinion ..........

<small>[ October 13, 2003, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: 3afan ]</small>

espn1
10-13-2003, 02:27 PM
3afan:

espn1:

3afan:

Players are also ranked on their quality with a star ranking. A five-star prospect is considered to be one of the nation?s top 25-30 players, four star is a top 150-200 player, three-stars is a top 550 level player, two stars means the player is a mid-major prospect and one star means the player is not ranked.ok fine - in the end its still just someone's opinion. just like all the polls. i'm not saying anyone is not as good as someone else or anyhting like that, but recruiting services are what they are. if you want to think mcgee is better than harrell just because on 1 web site he has 4 stars vs. 3 stars then so be it. but in the end - i'll say it again - its just another opinion ..........I can tell you have a clear case of selective reasoning. That's definitely a liberal quality. Thank God their losing ground. Denial is not an African river.

JasperDog94
10-13-2003, 02:50 PM
dontknowitall:
saw them both in the elite 11 camp. mcgee seemed to be the better all-around qb. harrell was having trouble with the dropback drills. kept stumbling over his feet. harrell's numbers are higher because coachdad leaves him in to run up the stats (which may get his head ripped off from angry opponents). check boxscores and look who is throwing tds with a huge lead late in the game. that being said, harrell could thrive in the texas tech system and become a great qb. but like my name says.....I guess that's why Harrel only played the first half this last week???

<small>[ October 13, 2003, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: JasperDog94 ]</small>

Chris Hart
10-13-2003, 03:03 PM
I don't know which one is better personally, they are both GREAT QBs, but I will say this " I wouldn't trade Stephen McGee for any other QB in the state on any level"(high school/college/pro). wink

<small>[ October 13, 2003, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Chris Hart ]</small>

3afan
10-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Chris Hart:
I don't know which one is better personally, they are both GREAT QBs, but I will say this " I wouldn't trade Stephen McGee for any other QB in the state on any level"(high school/college/pro). wink either would I if I had him (don't know about college or pro...) - also if I had Harrel I wouldn't trade him - or Brett Bomar - or ........

whoever you think is best depends on where you're from ... and unless you've seen both several times ... sigh :rolleyes:

PAINTBALL
10-13-2003, 04:28 PM
I haven't seen Harrel play, but if he's half as good as these posters feel I will probably see him on T.V. in a few years if not sooner. Those who haven't seen McGee play will get to on T.V. in a few years also. McGee is not only impressive because of his talent, but because of his maturity. He just doen't make many mistakes, as evidenced by his 0 interceptions so far this year. I have a hard time believing Harrel can be better then McGee. If he is he must be awesome and then some.

KL3
10-13-2003, 05:00 PM
Texas A&M, Texas, and Oklahoma all offered McGee early this spring/summer before they offered Harrel. That should tell you who they think is the better QB.

olddawggreen
10-13-2003, 05:09 PM
3afan, no offense intended, but I believe I have noticed a pattern in your postings which would appear to say that as long as its 3afans opinion or stated poll, its important and its right, but if its some one else's its just another poll or opinion. In all fairness I understand that you have your own team and agenda but are you allways right?

3afan
10-13-2003, 05:46 PM
olddawggreen - on the contrary, i think i've stayed right down the middle. take this thread for instance - did i ever say mcgee was NOT the best QB in the state? or that harrel WAS? look at my very first entry in this thread ---"rivals 100 is just another opinion ............... lets just call 'em equal in HS then ask the question again in a few years " ... from there it went downhill because someone seemed to insist mcgee was #1 because rivals said so. that what i was disputing. he may very well be the best QB - who knows? i sure dont but i do know he's certainly one of the best.

i challenge you to find a post that backs up your claim that i think i'm always right? you can't. i'll give my opinion and not flip flop ... if thats interpreted as thinking i'm always right then i have plenty of company here.

but no offense taken - this board would be nothing if people did not give opinions. and believe it or not i'm rooting for Burnet. I have some loose ties there and if things work out just right I may get to see my team play them in the Div I title game.

<small>[ October 13, 2003, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: 3afan ]</small>

Chris Hart
10-13-2003, 08:58 PM
Everything(almost) on this board is someone's opinion. Some are educated and well thought out, some are not. But someone could say that Troy Hambrick is a better RB than Emmitt Smith was, most know it's not true, but it could be someone's opinion, no matter how stupid it may sound. But 3afan must have some loose ties in Burnet, because he always seems to have something to say on the Burnet posts. :p

dontknowitall
10-14-2003, 09:11 AM
i am going to take an uneducated and biased guess and say that was a stipulation for having the game moved to ennis. its bad enough getting the crap kicked out of you without having to travel to the other town's stadium two years in a row just because they have more fans going to the game. would your team do that?
mabank needs to investigate other coaching options besides laying down for teams.
btw jasperdog, good comeback. now look at the other 5 games:
vs. waxahachie-ran for a late third quarter td in a 55-17 blowout
vs. denton ryan-played entire game and threw final td in the 4th quarter in a 56-18 blowout
vs. mesquite horn-passed for one and ran for one in the fourth quarter w/a 34-0 lead and a 41-0 lead. won 48-0.
vs. south oak cliff-threw td pass late in the 3rd quarter with a 55-0 lead. won 62-0.
vs. marlin-threw late 3rd quarter td pass w/55-0 lead. won 61-0.
nope. no padding of stats there.
i guess ennis was worried about those teams coming back ala denton ryan in the playoffs last year.
but like my name says....

ready2rock
10-14-2003, 09:21 AM
I dont think Burnet is good at all.

JasperDog94
10-14-2003, 09:25 AM
I know that most coaches, no matter what the score, won't take their starters out until the 4th quarter. Look at Oklahoma this past weekend. The game was thoroughly out of hand in the 3rd quarter, yet Jason White continued to throw zingers at the Texas defense. Granted some of these passes were of the short variety, but they turned into big playes because of "yards after catch". I dare someone to accuse Bob Stoops of running up the score to pad Jason White's stats. I doubt very seriously that we'll be seeing White on Sundays.

Having said that, I haven't seen Ennis at all this year. I don't know if these passes ar short routes to get first downs or if they are throwing downfield late in the game. I would love to hear from someone that has seen them play to say whether or not they think Harrel is padding stats.

dontknowitall
10-14-2003, 09:39 AM
texas gets what they deserve. teams like south oak cliff and marlin (without tank smith, no offense) don't need their boys humiliated by a superior player.
if oklahoma was playing a troy state or buffalo, they would not be running it up with first teamers. they would just be running it up and there's nothing you could really do about that.

JasperDog94
10-14-2003, 09:45 AM
dontknowitall:
texas gets what they deserve. teams like south oak cliff and marlin (without tank smith, no offense) don't need their boys humiliated by a superior player.
if oklahoma was playing a troy state or buffalo, they would not be running it up with first teamers. they would just be running it up and there's nothing you could really do about that.Oklahoma vs. Iowa State - October 4

4th Quarter - up 32-0 - MARK CLAYTON 12 YD PASS FROM JASON WHITE (TREY DICARLO KICK) 39-0

Yeah, I see what you mean... :p wink :D

cunbed10
10-14-2003, 11:45 AM
I've had the pleasure of watching both young men play, and with Ennis being 4A and having a good program for the past 4 years, I'll give Graham the nod now, Ennis has twice as many weapons, but Mr. Mcgee is something special, they both will meet in years to come, and settle this on the field, head to head.

3afan
10-14-2003, 12:02 PM
ready2rock:
I dont think Burnet is good at all.i think this guy's talking about water polo .............

olddog73
10-14-2003, 02:55 PM
I don't post very often but am here a lot. Just for fun I went back to some of the post last December 02 to try to match up some of the names I see this year and to compare their thoughts and post back then to their post today. It was pretty interesting, there was 3afan questioning and doubting the number of Burnet fans attending the games. He posted on quite a few Burnet topics, but was a regular poster on Forney topics. Then there was Rabbit'93, Jason, Jimbotex40 and Crzyjournalist03 after the Burnet-Everman final ranting on and on that even though Forney didn't win enough games to play for the state title, THEY WERE THE SECOND BEST TEAM IN THE STATE, not Burnet (who did win enough games to play in the final). Their twisted reasoning was that they played a tighter game against Everman that year than Burnet did. Its just kind of interesting to remember who these guys are. Apparently the one thing they have in common is that they are all Forney backers. I think maybe I understand a little more about 3afans "loose ties". I would love to see Burnet get to the final game, and I would love to see them play who ever the other team is that has earned the right to be there. If thats Forney that would be great, if its not, I hope you guys just accept it and don't wine like you did last year. :D :D :D

JasperDog94
10-14-2003, 02:58 PM
Uh oh, someone's been doing some research. eek!

Good analysis though... :D

3afan
10-14-2003, 06:23 PM
olddog73 - my ties have nothing to do with football or sports or the schools, lets just leave it at that. and you didnt find me whining about the forney loss and claiming they were second best team in the state because i've been around long enuf to not think that way.

and the only thing i'd like better than a forney-burnet title game (played in waco perhaps?) would be a forney win ...

Rabbit'93
10-14-2003, 07:32 PM
<small>[ October 14, 2003, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Rabbit'93 ]</small>

bulldogmom2
10-14-2003, 07:52 PM
Well,,, I must say that this my first post. Being a Burnet mom of a jr. high player I'm very proud of what Burnet has accomplished. As I am with all the kids that do according to their ability. I think one thing needs to be remembered is this is a SCHOOL
game, no pro. These are kids, not adults. I think all the kids in this whole great state need to be recognized for their ability, not just a given few. And please don't forget it takes more than one or two to make a team... Don'g get me wrong I'm a big fan of Jordan's, but there are alot of boys that make up all these teams. Even in Forny... everywhereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

3afan
10-14-2003, 07:57 PM
welcome aboard bulldogmom2

olddog73
10-14-2003, 09:02 PM
Bulldogmom, I think Jordon and Stephen would be the first to tell you that it takes a whole team. But you have to also understand, like it or not, that this is Varsity Highschool Football we are talking about here, not Jr. High and kids or not its serious business. Right or wrong, thats just the way it is. Actually some of these guys are 17, 18 years old, which is old enough to serve their country in the military. In my book that means they are young adults. I totally agree that everyone on a team is important. I think the whole Burnet team has received great recognition for their accomplishments as a team and will continue to do so. But as in life, some people stand out more than others, Welcome to 3adown low, I look forward to hearing from you!

<small>[ October 14, 2003, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: olddog73 ]</small>

KTownBalla
10-14-2003, 10:40 PM
Graham Harrel from Ennis....they 4A...won state...

Not sayin Stephen McGee from Burnet is a bad QB...but how good would he be w.o Shipley?

Just a thought...i'm sure McGee is still a superb QB...i just think Harrel starts if they were both on the same team.

olddawggreen
10-14-2003, 11:03 PM
McGee has done fine getting the ball to Burnets other receivers when Shipley has been shut down. Im sure Texas A & M has some good receivers. Time will tell. :rolleyes: